It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2004, 02:01 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

NodiGoiterGirl HB User
How long does it take for colon biopsy results.

Had a colonoscopy on Friday, have a swollen and spastic colon as some of you may know. It is now Tuesday, not big deal...being patient. Called the Doc to tell them my new cell phone number to call because I'm never home and don't have my answering machine hooked up. I said "Can I give you a number to call for my results since I had the procedure done?" She said, we don't call unless there's something wrong." She was real snippy. I'm getting so aggravated so I said "Right, but can I give you my number in case there is something wrong with the results?" She finally said yes.
So if they don't call me and I'm sitting here with pain and all that and a swollen colon, am I just to assume that there's no reason for it to be happening and go on with my life? I am so aggravated right now.
So, how long does it take usually to get biopsy results back?
I think it's rude that I'm spending all this money and they don't even bother to let you know what's going on.
Thanks,
Nodi

Old 09-28-2004, 06:26 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

edinaman HB User
Re: How long does it take for colon biopsy results.

When I had my colonoscopy they said it would be a week to get any biopsy results. They also said they would call if they found something (they removed a polyp). They called me at home and since I was at work, my wife called to tell me that they had called. You can imagine how I felt. When I called back, they said the polyp was totally benign. I guess they called since I had recently been diagnosed with colon cancer and they wanted to let me know this wasn't a return of it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2004, 09:38 PM   #3
Inactive

CDauthier HB User

Nodi, I can certainly appreciate your aggrevation. If you didn't have the colonoscopy performed outside a hospital setting (hospitals usually have their own labs and get the results back very quickly) then you are probably looking at the doctor getting the results back if not today, then Wednesday. You positively have the right to be ticked off!!! Have you scheduled a follow-up visit to get the results of the colonoscopy....even if you didn't have a biopsy, certainly you should have been told to come back for a follow-up. When you spoke of "she", I hope you were not talking about your doctor...assume you were talking to the nurse.....and that nurse probably has a supervisor..normally called the Nurse Manager who I would ask for next time I call. And, if you were talking to your doctor, I'd find another one!

My husband recently had a biopsy of a tumor in his bladder and we were told that it was more than likely malignant.....this was done on a Tuesday. We were also told to come back Friday for the results (to see if it was invasive or non-invasive)...we went thru pure hell for 3 days. We found out that Friday it was non-invasive cancer which is sooo much better, of course, than invasive. I also found out later when I got a copy of the pathology report that the doctor had received it the Wednesday after the biopsy (it was done in the hospital). I can assure you that the next visit it will be understood that we do not wait any longer than necessary to get good news or bad news for that matter. Heard one story years ago about a doctor having been diagnosed with cancer. He saw the light then about what patients go thru and turned his practice around. Don't wish anything bad on anyone but attitudes need to change in the medical profession. Best to you...will keep you in my prayers. Cathy

Old 09-29-2004, 09:42 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

NodiGoiterGirl HB User

Yes it was the woman, I don't know if she's a nurse,who answers the phone. Not the doctor. I still haven't heard anything today.
They scheduled me for an appointment for Oct.21 which is just a follow up appt. Not for getting the results. But, if miss snippypants said that if they don't call everything's fine, then why would I need the appointment? So, if my colon is swollen and they don't call me does that mean that I really don't need that appointment. Man it's such a crock. I will go up there personally Thursday afternoon if I haven't heard anything and talk to the manager. I will have all my results in hand and will go somewhere else in this state if I have too. The procedure was done at the hospital, the doctor's office is in the hospital, I should have heard by now.
You know, if they never call people to let them know things are fine, then how do people know the office received the tests? The Malpractice issue is the biggest excuse around here, we're busy they say, suck it up, if they're so busy then it would be easy for results to get lost. They should call or at least if you call they should check them for you.
Still mad.
Thanks for your reply
Nodi

Old 09-29-2004, 09:13 PM   #5
Inactive

CDauthier HB User

Nodi, Don't blame you one bit...the doc's office probably had the results the next day. Hopefully, the person you talked to is displaying her attitude, not the doctor's. If the attitude is coming from the doc, I would certainly not hesitate to think twice about going elsewhere. Since a biopsy was taken, evidentally there was something there....inflamation, polyps... A lot can be told from a colonoscopy. Usually you are pretty much out of it after having one done and even if the doc did tell you what he found, you probably wouldn't have remembered. There's no way I'd wait til Oct. 21 either.....you go girl! Cathy

Old 09-29-2004, 11:08 PM   #6
(female)

trying4#2 HB User

First i want to say that i am really sorry that the nurse was so rude. I used to be a nurse for a gastroenterologist as well and I know that it took anywhere from 2 days to a week for the results to come back. (it usually depended on how backed up the lab was) and the doctor i worked for ALWAYS called the patient no matter what, even if it was negitive or positive. so that the patient knew for sure and wouldnt be worried. no news is not always good news. sometimes a lab result for some reason would not be sent to my office so when the patient called i always checked with the lab if it had come back to be sure. sometimes they had but we hadint recieved a report yet. i would tell the patient that i was getting the results and that i would have the doc call as soon as they had a free moment. (most gastro offices are really hetic) so dont worry about that nurse. this is your health and her job is to help you. ignore her sarcasm and if it gets really bad then talk to a supervisor and let them know of the problem. medical supervisors are pretty strict due to the fact that they are working with sick people and it is our job to be compassionate and make the patient feel that we are there for them. so good luck and if you dont hear anything by friday call on monday morning so that your message is one of the first to get to the doc.

Closed Thread