It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2004, 02:13 PM   #1
(male)

westhills2 HB User
Hard Lump on my Rectum. Please Help.

Let me first say that I do not know a lot about colon and rectum health, so I am hoping that someone here can help me.

I am 26, male, a non smoker, I don't drink and I eat a balanced diet. I am slightly overweight, but mostly healthy I think. About a week ago, I developed pains inside me, right near my anus. I don't have any bleeding, trouble going to the bathroom, blood in my stool, weight loss or anything like that. What I do have, and my wife confirmed this, is a hard lump on my rectum, about two inches inside, on the wall of the rectum on the right side. It is not inside, not a hemorrhoid I don't believe, you can only feel a hardness of the wall itself, while on the left side it is stretchy, and not painful. It hurts from the pressure when I have to go, but I don't have any trouble going, and no diarrhea or anything. It feels like it may be outside. The right side is hard and painful. When I sit, I can feel the pressure inside, although it is not terribly painful.

What do I do about this? Should I wait and see if it goes away? What sort of doctor or tests do I need?

Any help is great. Thanks all.

Old 10-26-2004, 02:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Hard Lump on my Rectum. Please Help.

Hi,

No, don't wait.....A gastroenterologist would be the best ultimately, but you will probably have to see your regular doc first.

It could be an internal hemorrhoid, they do get harder when inflammed, but it could also be something serious. It could also be a cyst or an abscess.

For comfort...you might want to increase your intake of fibre to help the stool to be softer so that it's not too painful during bms.

As well, doing a sitz bath with warm water will help the pain.

I hope you're able to see the doc soon. Keep us posted.

quincy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2004, 05:33 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

MrOwl HB User

Yes, that needs to be checked out right away.

Old 10-28-2004, 08:36 AM   #4
(male)

westhills2 HB User

Well, I went to see my doctor yesterday, and he said that it was most likely an infected thrombosed hemmorhoid, a black color and about the size of a golf ball. So, it is basically the wall of the rectum is inflammed with a huge blood clot and infection. He may put me on antibiotics. Much different than a classic internal hemmorhoid that branches off the wall of the rectum, this is the wall itself that has hardened.

He recommended anusol for the pain, citrucel to soften stools, anything else that makes it feel better. But, the good news is that it is not anything too serious I guess. It is rather painful most of the time though.

He wants me to come in for another exam. He said that sometimes they go away by themselves after a period of a few weeks or so. He said that if it doesn't then they can attempt to make an incision on it, and see if the swelling and fluid drains. If this leads to more clotting and infection, then it will require surgery, local anestetic and sutres. The whole area has to be taken out.

Last edited by TracyAdamP; 10-28-2004 at 08:37 AM.

Old 10-28-2004, 12:02 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

MrOwl HB User

Well, it could have been worse. At least you know I trust that it goes away and that you do not need surgery.

Keep us posted.

If I were you I would really keep working on making sure your stools are fairly soft. Having good quality stools all your life may help keep you from colon cancer when you get older.

Old 10-29-2004, 01:01 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Glad to hear you went to the doc and got a diagnosis. I hope the Anusol works and you won't need surgery.

Let us know the update after your next appointment.

Feel better soon,
quincy

Closed Thread