It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2002, 12:06 PM   #1

prin123 HB User
Cool Anyone take Golytely for constipation?

as treatment, not to clean out for a procedure. I am left with nothing to take right now and need something. Magnesium is the only thing that has helped me and I have taken it so long it has made me really sick. Please advise.

Old 08-15-2002, 08:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Have you tried FIBER like Metamucil???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2002, 10:14 PM   #3
Inactive

mlgable HB User
What has the doc determined as the cause of your constiptation? You need some fiber therapy like Harry said probably 2-3 times daily and if your stools are hard then use a stool softener like colace aka docusate. Golytely is a pretty harsh type laxative and would only use something like that as a last resort. If you haven't had a good BM by the third day with using fiber and a stool softener then try a glycerin suppository or a baking soda enema if the suppository doesn't work well.

Old 08-17-2002, 05:16 AM   #4

prin123 HB User
Cool

I know you guys mean well but not all constipation is helped with fiber. My problem is that no matter how much fiber and water I take the stool gets hung up at the anal opening (sorry to be so blunt) and stays there; this is the unfortunate result of laxative abuse although I am going to have a sigmoidoscopy to rule out any pathology in that area. The only thing that allows the stool to come out has been magnesium supplements but I have take mag so long it makes me feel lousy. If I take alot of fiber and it doesn't come out, that is not a good thing. My plan is to take Metamucil, a stool softener and a glycerin supp. But, the suppositories don't work very well anymore either. I also plan to incorporate miralax into the program to get things going. I do think fiber has its place but there are some types of constipation for which it doesn't help much and in fact can make things worse. For most people with simple constipation it can be great and in most cases it certainly can't hurt.

Old 08-17-2002, 07:37 AM   #5
Inactive

mlgable HB User
If the suppositories don't work well for you then you need to think about switching to a baking soda enema until things get under control. The other possible thing would be a bisacodyl suppository but I would try to stay away from this since these contain the laxative ingredient bisacodyl which is a stimulant type of laxative. You do need to work on retraining your bowels though since they are damaged by laxative abuse. Good Luck.

Old 08-17-2002, 11:24 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Arrow

I know there are many things that can mess up your digestive system including medications, foods and life style. There may also be some malfunctioning/ illnesses with your intestines, colon, rectum or anus.

But, for your Gastrointestinal system to function like it is suppose to you have to intake fiber in some form. That is just the way the GI system works!!!

Old 08-28-2002, 07:48 PM   #7

ChapsNB00TS HB User
Take a herbal intestinal formula, eat as much lettuce as you can stand, drink as much natural spring water as you can drink, and your problem will cease to exist. If you're stressed, or always tired, you can kiss these problems goodbye as well. This stack works for all human beings in the world. You should poop after every meal within 30 minutes or one hour, with the consistancy of soft served ice cream. Anything less is constipation. By the way, your colon wasn't designed for chemical treatment. No more white bread either. Only stone ground wheat bread. Any meat etc. should be a small side dish. Meat and ALL dairy, animal by products have zero fiber. You eat these things, and that's why you're wondering what to take to help you poop. Diet is everything.

Old 08-29-2002, 06:01 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thumbs down

Gee----Who would want to eat a diet like that??? I don't think it would be healthy!!!
You would lose muscle mass and no eating---I don't think most people are that desparate ---YET???

Harry

Closed Thread