It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2002, 01:30 PM   #1
Veteran

PAISLEY HB User
Red face Mysterious Spasms in Anus??

Uhmmmm...Right now, I am having some very creepy anus spasams! It feels like when your leg muscle twitches involuntary after you've exercised or when your eyelid twitches...HELP! My anus feels like it's contracting and it's very scary!! There is no stomach pain or anything and I don't have diarrhea. I am not constipated. What is this???

Old 09-10-2002, 05:35 PM   #2
Inactive

Bettawrekonize1 HB User
Read my post on parasites. [url="http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/Forum126/HTML/001268.html"]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/Forum126/HTML/001268.html[/url]
You definitely want to see a doctor before the problem escalates.

------------------
Life is in the Blood

[This message has been edited by Bettawrekonize1 (edited 09-11-2002).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2002, 07:20 PM   #3
Veteran

PAISLEY HB User
Hi!
Thank you for your reply..Parasites, eh? So, when I go to my doctor what should I expect as far as tests or evaluating the symptoms? What can this escalate too? Is there anything else this could be?

Old 09-10-2002, 09:59 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
I think you lack magnesium in your diet. A good homeopathic remedy is Mag Phos ---you can get it at most health food stores.

Harry

Old 09-11-2002, 04:01 AM   #5
Super Sarah

Talking

Hi,

Can I suggest that you try taking both a Calcium and Magnsium supplement. It is just that calcium and magnesium have an affinity for nerve and muscular contractions and if you keep having spasms, then you may be short on this.

Have you been unwell recently with any kind of stomach virus? Spasms are quite likely to occur after any kind of stomach infection.

Mag Phos is a good homepathic remedy as it has an affinity for the nerves.

I know this is going to sound a little funny, but next time it happens, go and sit on the toilet and push a little. Basically, when you sit on the toilet for a BM and push, the pressure rises in your stomach so that your bowels will open. If your rectum has gone into spasm, then sitting on the toilet and just gently pushing a little as if you were having your bowels open can equalise the pressure a bit and can help the spams. I know this sounds a little funny, but I have spasms like this myself and it does work.

The conventional route is to take some antispasmodic medication such as Buscopan. This is a smooth muscle relaxant and works very well for spasm pains in both the rectum and stomach.

Hope this helps?

Old 09-11-2002, 08:28 AM   #6
Veteran

PAISLEY HB User
Hi!
No, I haven't been sick with a stomach virus or anything. I actually have these spasms literally all day long, so it will be somewhat impossible for me to go sit on the toilet each time it occurs. However, I have been "bearing down" (at my desk or wherever I am) when I feel these spasms and it does subside, but of course, they return after a few minutes. I have noticed more frequent BM's since these spasms started and I have also noticed that my stomach doesn't have to "hurt" for me to have a BM?? It's the weirdest feeling...It feels almost like gas or air knocking on my rectum (I say rectum b/c it feels more higher up than the anus area) or it sort of feels like a "heartbeat" sensation. Another way to describe it is that it feels like a grumbling sensation in the rectum like when hunger pangs are in your belly. Could it be that my stomach or colon is actually spasing and it's just radiating through my rectum??

What foods are rich in magnesium, just out of curiosity? Should I try the supplements before going to my doctor or should I go right away?

[This message has been edited by PAISLEY (edited 09-11-2002).]

Old 09-11-2002, 02:03 PM   #7
Super Sarah

Talking

What is your diet like generally, because it sounds like you might need some more fiber? You could try taking Metamucil twice daily. This is a water soluble fiber supplement and is ok to take on a daily basis. Make sure that you take it with at least 8oz of water. Also, it can make your belly a bit bloated to begin with, but this should pass. If you have gas, you need to re-colonise the good bacteria in your gut. Do this by taking some Acidophilis caps twice daily. These contain Lactobacillis and are the good bacteria that exist in your gut. Keep them in the fridge and don't take them with hot drinks as heat kills bacteria. Make sure you take them before food on an empty belly. This should help the gas.

Make sure you try and cut out caffeine and soda and try and eat more fruit and veg and drink plenty of fluid. The Metamucil should help to regulate your bowels though and make them grip a bit more so that you don't have to open them so often.

Try taking the calcium and magnesium supplements straight away. This might help and you have nothing to lose by doing it. Also, go and see your doc to make sure. It could be that your calcium and magnesium are a bit low for some reason, or it could be that you have IBS.

Good luck

Old 09-11-2002, 02:46 PM   #8
Veteran

PAISLEY HB User
Hi!

My diet is not the best but I don't drink sodas, coffee, tea or fruit drinks. I only drink water and orange juice. I eat oatmeal with raisins almost every day but I don't eat alot vegetables & fruits. I eats lots and lots of cheese, breads, pastas, lamb, chicken, beef, pork and salads. I also eat a lot of cereal.

And YES, I keep gas. I have even been afraid to date because of it.

Thank you so much for helping me out on this.

Old 09-12-2002, 06:42 AM   #9
Super Sarah

Talking

Hi,

Cutting down on the amount of dairy products that you eat and also cereals may help you a lot. It could be that if you eat a lot of cereal with milk, that you may have slight intolerances to them and they can also build up a lot of gas in your belly.

Try my other suggestions and cutting out the milk and cereal for a bit and seeing if your stomach/bowels are generally better.

Old 09-12-2002, 12:33 PM   #10
Veteran

PAISLEY HB User
Hi!

Will do.

Thanks, again

Closed Thread