It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2002, 05:49 AM   #1

ElmGoodie HB User
Unhappy ALCOHOL and Stool Color?!?

Here is the problem.

I am only 17 years old and I started drinking regulary on weekends about 2 years ago. At first everything was ok, but after some time, when I've consumed a large amount of alcohol, the stool color next day was darker than normal.

It didn't concern me back then since I figured it probably was normal. Until about 2 months ago when my stool was becoming real dark, almost black after I drank alot.

Note that this only happens after I drink. If I don't drink for some time, it dissappears and my stools goes back to normal.

Another thing is that my stool is much more solid now, which means that when I whipe nothing comes off on the toilet paper, and this is NOT only after I drink. This started to happen some weeks ago, but it dissappears after about 1 week of not drinking, so I guess it is connected.

I'm guessing that no permanent damage has been done yet and that I should just stop drinking. Am I right?

[This message has been edited by ElmGoodie (edited 11-02-2002).]

Old 11-03-2002, 09:34 AM   #2
Super Sarah

Talking

It sounds very much like it is related to the alcohol. How much do you drink? Not only will alcohol affect your liver, but if you are also having stomach pains, excess alcohol can give you gastritis, which is inflammation of the stomach. The inflammation in your stomach could be changing the colour of your stools. However, as the alcohol affects the liver and also metabolises it, bile secretion could also be affected and you could be releasing more bile than necessary which is making your stools darker.

As you said, if you stop the alcohol and your symptoms stop, then why not cut out the alcohol altogether. You are only 17 and have your whole life ahead of you. Why start to ruin it by drinking at an early age?

If you can control this on your own, then all well and good, but if not, maybe try hanging out with different friends who don't drink and think about getting some professional help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread