It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2002, 08:33 PM   #1
Inactive

Mandie HB User
Post FIBER- HOW MUCH

I know thst there has been many questions about fiber and its use but i just need to clarify- I was told that I needed 20 grams of fiber a day. That sounds like an awful lot. I read the label on the metamucil can and it only has 3 grams per dose. How on earth am I suppose to get 20 grams? I was eating the metamucil cookies which are good but really hard to digest without drinking tons or water, and. they are only 4 grams per 2 cookies. This just is not enough and I work and it is hard for me to stop and try to digest.I an so full and I just can't put any more in my stomach, and I don't have the time to take out to eat and drink so much. So, am I doing something wrong, or is there a right way to obtain the 20 grams without being so regimented and focused and having to take my allotment of fiber every day. I do eat oatmeal every day , and try to eat green vegetables too. I would appreciate your advice- thank you

Old 11-17-2002, 04:40 AM   #2

Merici HB User
Hi,
I know exactly what you are saying. When I began diet changes, I too wondered how I was going to get all the necessary fiber. A good start would be a high fiber cereal. One half cup of "Fiber One" gives you 14gms of fiber. If you have that for breakfast with some fruit you are well on your way of acheiving your goal. Also, try to make yourself aware of other high fiber foods that you can painlessly incorporate into your diet. Beans for instance are an excellent source. The more fruits and vegetables the better. Get into the habit of reading the nutrition information on everything that you eat. You'll be surprised how quickly it can add up.
Best of luck to you.

~Merici

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2002, 07:06 AM   #3
Inactive

Mandie HB User
Thanks for the info, Merci I have been eating KASHI cereal, but it is really so hard to eat and digest and takes really long. I am in a rush in the morning for work and don't have the time to sit down and leisurly eat. But, I think maybe I will bring it along and eat it as a snack. But is this a water soluble fiber? I read that there are differences? I was told that metamucil or citracal seems to be the best in that department.

Old 11-17-2002, 10:42 AM   #4

Merici HB User
Hi Again,
I just did a little research based on your question of water soluble fiber. Water soluble bran is the bran that helps to lower cholesterol,and regulate your blood sugar and digestive system. Definitely a good thing. It's found in beans,nuts,oat bran,legumes psyllium, and various fruits and vegetables. Cereals,brans and vegetables also contain a certain amount of insoluble fiber. Its purpose is mainly that of digestive health. I just looked on the ingredient label for "Fiber One" and I see,among other things,both oat bran and wheat bran listed. So that would mean a little of both types in one cereal. I think that your idea about snacking on it, is probably a good one although I find it easier to eat when it's softend with some low fat milk. I use Citrucil as a fiber supplement. I take it twice a day.
Its hard to keep on top of all of this but, at least we are trying right? LOL!
Hope this helps you a little.

~Merici

Old 11-17-2002, 10:50 AM   #5
Inactive

mlgable HB User
Why not get a fiber bar to eat for breakfast? The bars I am looking at as I type this contain 5 grams of fiber per bar so eating one for breakfast and one as a snack as recommended gives you 10 grams of fiber right there. A serving of fresh fruit or veggies and you would be set for the day. Also many high fiber cereals have recipes for cookies, bars and other things you can bake with the cereal which would make an easy breakfast or snack treat. Keep raisins or dried fruit on hand too for a nice high fiber snack.

Old 11-17-2002, 02:38 PM   #6
Inactive

Mandie HB User
I would love to eat a fiber bar but my local Wal mart does not carry them anymore and I don't know where to find them. Any ideas??? I just do not want to OD on too much fiber because then it is so hard to go to the bathroom for me- I have to reach a happy medium. What are the name of the bars? Maybe i can get them on the internet

Old 11-18-2002, 09:11 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
Smile

Hi, Mandie. I eat the Metamucil wafers for my intake - each package has 6 grams of fiber according to the label. I eat 2 packages a day for a total of 12 grams of fiber. Then I try to get up to at least 20 by eating fruit/veggies, and sandwiches made with whole wheat bread, etc. I'm not positive I always make it, but I come close. I know the wafers are filling (usually it's all I eat for breakfast, but I also use them for snacking). But you're right - you need to make sure you get enough liquid with them to help in digestion. I think you might have misread the label to think it only had 4 grams of fiber.

Katie G

Closed Thread