It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2002, 04:04 AM   #1

smfine HB User
Post Colonoscopy Results

I just wanted to post my experience for those that are about to have this done for the first time and are a bit worried.

I was in doubt as to the reason for my occasional but excessive bleeding during a movement. Got a scope to be sure. Oh yeah, I'm only 30 years old and still wanted to be sure.

Can't eat for 2 days prior (basically). Have to take a 2-3 part cleanser/laxitive the night before. THIS WAS THE WORST PART! Took the first part and it worked well. The next step was a tablet form of laxitive with a suppository. It didn't seem to work ... I thought I was already cleaned out. Went too bed an hour later. Woke up at 1:30am as sick as could be. COLD sweat. No color. Throwing up and EXCESSIVE diahrea. At one point I asked my wife to call the poison control center! I had a bad reaction to it but it went away fairly quickly though. Don't let this stop you...many people are just fine with it.

At the hospital, the worst part was the I.V.! That's it. I was asleep. No problems. No pain. No problems with movements afterwards. Everything was completely normal.

Hope this helps someone.

Old 11-18-2002, 04:05 AM   #2

smfine HB User
P.S. It turned out to be internal hemorroids.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2002, 06:59 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

VegasGirl HB User
I had one done four years ago for a bleeding ulcer in my colon. I had to drink this BIG jug (2 gallons I think) of this nasty, salty water crap called GO LIGHTLY and that is all I could have the day before surgery except for clear fluids and jello. It cleans you out TOTALLY! And didn't make me feel sick, just tasted sick. LOL!

Old 11-18-2002, 07:01 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

VegasGirl HB User
OH! And while we're on the subject, a word of advice. If you have to get a colonoscopy and they give you the GO LIGHTLY, heat it up and drink it with BOULLION cubes, it makes it taste more pleasant and it's perfectly alright to do that. I figured it out about half way through the jug. HAHA!

Old 11-18-2002, 08:03 PM   #5
Inactive

1Dove HB User
I know what you mean. I had a colonoscopy last month, and the worst part of the whole thing was that nasty solution that I had to drink. I was instructed to drink the solution in ginger ale, but it was still horrible. You would think they could come up with something better tasting by now. Anyway, that was the worst part of the whole thing. The actual colonoscopy was easy and completely painless.

Old 11-19-2002, 07:29 AM   #6

smfine HB User
Well I guess I'm the minority here but I didn't think it tasted bad at all! I had the "Fleet Prep Pack" and it called to mix the liquid solution in 2 parts in 8 oz. of Ginger Ale also. I could hardly taste it. Chugged it though.

I mean to tell you though. It really works! I could have hit it through a keyhole at 10 paces! LOL!

Old 11-19-2002, 06:31 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

VegasGirl HB User
HAHAHAHA! :lol
I didn't have the Fleet pack, you were supposed to drink the GO LIGHTLY straight like water, but it was a little easier warmed up w/ a boullion cube in it. HAHA! I think ANY of these systems designed to clean you out must be pretty awful tasting. HAHAHA!

Closed Thread