It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2002, 03:59 PM   #1

HAYDON HB User
Unhappy Sarah???????

Hello Sarah,
Hope you don't mind me keep picking your brains!!
I was cleaning the glue from around Haydons stoma this morning. I don't know if it's the first time I have noticed it, but around the stoma seems very distended.
Just wondered if this was normal or if I should get the Stoma nurse to pay a visit just to be sure. Haydon does seem to be having problems getting the base plate to stick firmly the past couple of times he has changed it. Hope you are well yourself.
Steph.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2002, 10:21 PM   #2
Inactive

mlgable HB User
When using Stomahesive paste be sure to let it sit for a minute or two after you apply it until it becomes "tacky" to the touch before you apply the wafer. This will help get a good tight seal.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2002, 02:03 AM   #3
Super Sarah

Talking

Hi Steph,

Don't worry. It is a new stoma and it will take time to settle down. They can seem quite pink and swollen in the beginning and it could also be the adhesive that could be aggravating.

Unless Haydon has pain at the site and feels uncomfortable, then I don't think it is necessary to ask the Stoma Nurse, but if it will help put your mind at rest then you could ask her for reasurrance.

Hope both you and Haydon are doing ok? I'm fine.

Take care

Sarah

Old 11-19-2002, 12:39 PM   #4

HAYDON HB User
Smile

Thank you Sarah, you realy are "Super."
Thanks also to mlgable. Haydons stoma is not quite so distended today. He says that today he is just uncomfortable when sitting as the stoma seems to be pulling on his skin. We have some spray that is suppoed to help peel off the base plate that the stoma bag clips onto. The base plate is self adhesive and very strong. The spray is also for removing any adhesive from around the stoma but as yet, i'me not having a lot of success. I think its because Haydon has such a hairy belly plus he's a WIMP!!! If I was a nurse and didn't actualy love him, I could probably be a bit less gentle. I know I shouldn't be having a laugh at Haydons expense, but they do say you can find a little humour in most situations!
Anyway, any tips on removing base plates/adhesive would be much appreciated.
Take care Sarah.
Steph.

Old 11-20-2002, 03:22 AM   #5
Super Sarah

Talking

Hi Steph,

What you could do next time you change the stoma bag and take the base plate off, is to wet the area around it and shave the hair on his belly around that area only. You will probably find that once dry, the base plate will stick more firmly - it has to be like this to prevent leaks, and it will also come off more easily with the spray and won't be painful because of the lack of the 'hairy belly'.

Take care

Sarah

Closed Thread