It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2002, 03:27 PM   #1

30yro_guy HB User
Post bowel issues

hello and thanks in advance for your advice

i am a 30 yr old male. i am in good health, eat well and am quite active. over the past couple years i have had some bowel problems that i cant bring myself to discuss. i found this website... and thought i would inquire here.

i have what slang would call skid marks. although i never acutally get any, if i didnt use the bathroom to wipe every so often, im sure i would. i have heard that this is because "guys" are not conscious of being clean. i am quite clean and wipe well. i think it is more than not cleaning well.

i have tried adjusting the food i eat. i cut most dairy for 2 weeks. i tried fibercon for 2 weeks. i cut out coffee. i eat plenty of veggies and meat. i dont eat a lot of junk foods. i never eat fast food. i cook well and dont use lots of oils and butters. yet my bm's tend to be soft and require a lot of tissue to clean.

on days when i have "normal" bm's i try to think about what i have eaten in the past days, but my diet is quite regular.

basically im tired of using the restroom to make sure im clean. i worry one day i might not be and get the dreaded skid mark, or worse... being thinking about if im clean in an intimate moment with a women.

any advice on getting those "normal bm's i used to have???

Old 11-19-2002, 08:52 PM   #2

Esoteric HB User
Are you taking any food supplements? Too much magnesium or Vitamin C can cause loose stools. Check your supplements, and if those two items are in more than one, cut back a bit. also, sugar free chocolate and mints that have malitol in them can cause loose stools.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2002, 10:21 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Arrow

I suggest you start taking a water soluble fibe supplement like Metamucil---Daily. It is safe and a bowel forming agent. Just drink enough water daily.

Old 11-20-2002, 09:04 AM   #4

30yro_guy HB User
thanks for your replies.

i am not taking an supplements. i have tried taking a multi vitamin for a few weeks to see if that helped, but there was no significant change.

i drink a lot of fluids everyday. i drink lots of teas and juices. i drink sports drinks during high activity.

when i read a little on the Metamucil website, it states:

WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF USING METAMUCIL?
The 100 percent natural psyllium fiber in Metamucil works with your body to gently soften stool and maintain regularity. The fiber absorbs water and softens and adds bulk to stools for easier elimination. Regularity can be restored within 12 to 72 hours.

im not sure i want my stool any softer. im quite regular and dont have any trouble passing either.
maybe im missing something.... can you explain your reccomendation for Metamucil more?

Old 11-20-2002, 10:15 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
Smile

Hi, there...guy. I'm a big believer in Metamucil and I suffer from IBS-D. It's a "regulator" for your bowels, meaning it will firm you up if you have loose stools, and help you "go" if you're constipated. Fiber is necessary for bowel health, and especially for those of us who don't have "normal" stools. It's been advertised as a laxative for years, but it is a way to get fiber into your system to regulate your bowel movements. You have many choices - powder, pill or wafer form. I myself prefer the wafers.

Katie G

Old 11-20-2002, 10:48 PM   #6
Inactive

mlgable HB User
Metamucil will not make your stool softer. In your case it will bulk up your stool giving it more form. Go ahead and use it as Harry recommended.

Closed Thread