It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2002, 10:58 PM   #1

kristi9101 HB User
Question Question for Harry?????

Hello. I have IBS. I have been to the best of Doctors and they found Gastritis and due to my symptoms IBS, they say. My stomach hurts all the time and I get nausea alot. I try taking tums when my stomach hurts of feels sick and it doesn't help. Sometimes when I eat just after a eating maybe 10 bites I feel full, but this doesn't happen everytime I eat.It is very strange.And when I feel sick sometimes it comes with nausea or pain and sometimes not. I usually get my symptoms from eating food. One day I can eat a steak, the next time it makes my stomach hurt. I have been tested for a lot. I think maybe they are missing something. How can IBS make a person feel so bad that I even lost my job and am now applying for disability. I am now on top of the IBS, Pregnant. Do you have any recommendations for me? Anything that I can try or maybe what is really wrong with me? I am also lactose intolerant so that's not a possibility. I have had these tests done: 5 upper Endoscopies, 1 endoscopic ultrasound, colonoscopy, sigmoidoscopy, CT scan, reg ultrasound, gastric emptying study, small bowel follow through, and blood work. What's left. Since the docs did so many tests and they say IBS and send me home---helpless.

Old 11-27-2002, 02:54 AM   #2
Super Sarah

Talking

Unfortunately, if all the tests that you have had have come back clear, then I would think that you do have IBS and gastritis.

I don't know whether you know, that IBS is diagnosed on a basis of eliminating all other causes of you symptoms? This means that docs will perform all these tests to exclude such things as inflammatory bowels disease, this includes diverticulosis, ulcerative colitis and crohn's.

It is good that your endoscopies have been clear apart from gastritis and that your colonoscopies have been clear also. Have you ever been tested for Celiac Spru? If not maybe you should be.

Unfortunately, IBS can give you severe stomach pains with diarrhea/constipation, nausea and feeling full after eating. This is not unusual for people to get these symptoms. Also, lactose intolerance and other food allergies can play a large role in IBS symptoms. Dairy and wheat seem to be the main culprets so you could try cutting these out of your diet.

Are you taking Metamucil at present? If not, start taking this twice daily with plenty of water and it will help constipation and diarrhea by firming up your stools.

Try Acidophilus caps or eating some live yogurt to help re-balance the good bacteria in your gut. This could help problems with gas, bloating, nausea and stomach pains. Take them on an empty stomach and keep them in the fridge and you should start to notice a difference within a few days.

Drink plenty of water and try to cut out junk food, caffeine, alcohol and dairy. Eat a good all round fresh diet with fruit, veg, and carbs such as potatoes and rice.

If you have constipation then it might be worth taking a Magnesium supplement and if you have diarrhea, then try a Calcium supplement.

Aloe juice is meant to be good for soothing the burning pains of gastritis. Also, both Peppermint and Chamomile tea are very good for soothing a painful and upset stomach.

Have you tried putting heat pads on your stomach to help with the pain? If not, try this as the warmth tends to relax the muscles helping to ease a bad stomach ache.

Lastly, try massaging your stomach with some oil or asking your partner to do it for you. You only need to do this very gently and in circular motion all round your stomach. This is very good for breaking up pockets of gas that might have become trapped and these can make your stomach very painful. Once released, you will feel that your stomach is better. It is also very relaxing.

Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2002, 07:39 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Kristi,

Sorry about your problems. It's a shame that most of the things they test for just tells you that they can't find anything functionally wrong with your gastrointestinal system but they do leave you feeling sort of helpless...

They can't tell you if you digestion is OK or not, or do you get enough fiber for your system to function properly, there is no test for candida infections, or is the intestinal bacteria properly colonized and properly balanced, and you general have to ask a Doctor to give you a breath test to see if you have a H.pylori bacteria infection.

From your symptoms--- I think your inestinal bacteria is out of balance. The best that I have found is to take Lactobacillus reuteri that is in "Probiotica" that you can buy from Wal Mart. It's put out by the same people that make Imodium. Eat a brand of very good yogurt --- Stonyfield Farm--- it contains 6 different live cultures --including L.reuteri. Yogurt does not contain much lactose so if your lactose intolerant --you should be able to eat yogurt. PB-8 is also a good brand of a probiotic supplement.

Taking Metamucil as Sarah suggested or the Equate brand from Wal Mart that is cheaper and good as well as heplful. You need to intake between 20 to 30 gms of fiber daily for your Gastro system to operate properly. I would also take a digestive enzyme like Enzymall from Schiff. It's not a very strong digestive aid. All of these suggestions are heplful and OK for your pregnancy.

You know with all the Gastro doctors I have been to as well as regular Doctors ---Not one has ever questioned me about my diet. It seems they want to run tests and give you medicine that alot of times make the problem ---- more problems.

The best thing that I have found for Gastritis is Mastica---An OTC remedy that cured me after only 2 weeks and I had been on Prilosec for 6 months. It was given to me by an alternative care MD. I looked it up on *********** and found it also is effective for H.pylori infections!!!

I wish you well-----Harry

[This message has been edited by Harry (edited 11-27-2002).]

Closed Thread