It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2002, 11:50 AM   #1
(female)

cu HB User
Post grim, graphic question sorry!

I have been wanting to talk to someone about this problem for years now and have finally decided that a forum such as this is the best approach for now...here goes..

Having had IBS for nearly 20 years on and off, I have obviously spent a great deal of time on the toilet straining, sometimes I even stick my fingers up my bottom to ease the stool out when I am badly constipated (gross I know). Anyway my question is this: when I strain (push really hard) I can feel and see a huge pink muscle/fleshy thing come out of my anus hole. I don't think it is a pile as it is not painful and is has a hole in the middle where the stool comes out. It is really gross though and often covered in mucas.
Does anyone know what this might be? Have I injured myself? I have noticed this from being about 14yrs old (am 30yrs now).

I am desperately wanting to have a baby but am petrified of the birth and the nurses (and even worse my husband) seeing this gross thing when I push the baby out.

Can anyone give me some reasurrance or ideas?

Thanks

p.s i know i should ask my doctor but am way way too embarassed.

Old 12-01-2002, 02:20 PM   #2

AngelaMDarling HB User
Wink

Doctors and Nurses have seen far far worse than that when delivering babies...and your baby won't come out of your anus!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2002, 02:50 PM   #3
Super Sarah

Talking

Hey honey, what you are describing sounds very much like a rectal prolapse to me. Basically this happens when the anus protrudes further down than it should and it can be pushed back into place gently. This is generally a result of being severely constipated and sitting on the toilet straining.

You should not spend hours sitting on the toilet to have your bowels open. The most you should spend sitting on the toilet is ten mins. What you need to do is start taking some Metamucil. This is a water soluble fiber supplement and will help bulk up your stools and is as helpful for constipation as it is for diarrhea. Make sure you take it with plenty of water and also take Sodium Docusate with it. This is a stool softener and will help make your stools easier to pass without straining all the time.

Also, taking a Magnesium supplement is very good for constipation, but it can give you diarrhea.

If you still can't open your bowels then use a glycerine suppository rather than laxatives. Also ensure that you drink plenty of water and get regular exercise. This all helps your bowels to get working.

Good luck.

Closed Thread