It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2002, 04:38 PM   #1

AngelaMDarling HB User
Post SuperSarah.....bowel question for everyone

I know Sarah knows a lot about health questions we have, so Sarah feel free to reply to this with what you think, or anyone else...

I am almost 20 and have never had a problem before. All of a sudden a week ago I had diarreah, then cough and cold and achiness on and off...here we are a week later and that's still going on. It's now Tuesday night and I haven't had any sort of BM since Saturday night, an when I did it was runny diarreah. Since last week I have been eating breads, water, juice, avocado, yogurt, nothing heavy...I want to know if its normal to go this long without a BM. If I do end up having one I will have the answer to my question, but I don't think one is coming. Where is the food I'm eating going to lol
If I start to eat more will that help? I barely eat that much since last week.

Old 12-04-2002, 04:07 AM   #2
Super Sarah

Talking

From what you have said and the fact that you have had a cough, cold and general aching, it does sound like you have had flu/a stomach virus too. It sounds like a general flu that has upset your stomach too. Have you had a fever also? Have you had stomach pains with the diarrhea?

I really would not worry at present, as it is not unusual to have flu/stomach flu for up to a week and if you have not been eating a lot, then you will not be opening your bowels as much anyway. It is only three days, so don't worry.

If you don't feel like eating then you don't have to, but if you do, make sure that what you do eat is light and nutritious and ensure that the yogurt is live yogurt or Acidophilus caps to rebalance the bacteria in your gut. By rebalancing the bacteria you will help your diarrhea and stomach generally.

If you have a fever then ensure that you drink plenty of water and I mean plenty to replace all the fluid that you are losing. This is another reason why you can't open your bowels. Drink or sip up to 2 litres daily and this should help to wash things through.

If you have stomach ache or the general feeling of an upset stomach, then drinking Chamomile or Peppermint tea can also be helpful to settle it down.

You may also benefit from taking some high dose Vitamin C - 500 mg or above daily. This will help boost your immune system and what your body does not use will be excreted, so it is safe.

Hope you feel better soon.

Take care

Sarah

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2002, 11:18 PM   #3

AngelaMDarling HB User
a quick update- the night of the post I had a small BM. Then today I had a normal one, but I had that feeling where you know there is still some that is right there but goes back up.

Old 12-04-2002, 11:22 PM   #4

AngelaMDarling HB User
How come I don't have a craving/appetite for food... however I FEEL when I am hungry? It's like I have to eat light stuff and force it down, I'm not enjoying it at all. I used to enjoy bad foods, now it makes me feel disgusting.

Old 12-05-2002, 01:28 PM   #5
Super Sarah

Talking

If you are unwell, then you may not fancy food, so don't worry too much, just give it some time and when you are better you will regain your appetite.

It does also sound as if you maybe a little constipated and if this is the case then you will not feel hungry either as your stomach may be backed up a little. Start some Metamucil to increase fiber and drink plenty of water. Also take the Acidophilus caps to help too. These will rebalance your gut bacteria after having a bad stomach.

Old 12-05-2002, 01:39 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
I agree with Sarah ---take Metamucil will make your GI system function properly. Also, a good brand of yogurt like StonyField Farm is very GOOD.

Harry

Old 12-06-2002, 11:48 PM   #7

AngelaMDarling HB User
I think I may be normal in "that" area now...but I still have a cough and sometimes my yellow mucus from my nose is in my throat and when I blow my nose it is mixed lightly with blood.

Old 12-07-2002, 06:43 AM   #8
Super Sarah

Talking

Well, if you have a cold and a cough still, then you have definitely had a virus that has just upset your stomach too. Swallowing too much mucus from a cold can upset your stomach.

Glad you are feeling better anway and that your stomach is better.

If you like, you maybe able to shift the last bit of your cold by taking the homeopathic remedy Pulsatilla in a 6 or 30c. Take it three times daily for about three days to see if it helps. It is very good for colds and coughs when you are coughing up a lot of mucus that it purulent. You may also like to take some high dose vitamin c for a while too, to give your immune system a boost.

Closed Thread