It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2002, 06:17 AM   #1
Inactive

isolated one HB User
Post Question about Metamucil

I've started taking Metamucil once daily and Sarah advised me to take it twice a day. The problem is that I take many herbal supplements for depression, energy, and over all health. I take my herbs first thing in the morning, with lunch, and again late in the afternoon. Now I've heard that Metamucil can interfere with some medicines but I've read conflicting information as to the extent of this. The only time I can fit in my one dose of Metamucil is mid morning, which is about an hour and a half between my herbal dosing. Would it be ok to take two doses of Metamucil at once, as long as I double up on the water I take with it as well? I would appreciate it if anyone knows about this. The internet is so full of information, however much of it is also conflicting and it gets frustrating trying to find the truth sometimes. Thanks.......Gary

Old 12-06-2002, 11:53 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Arrow

Gary,
I have taken psyllium for 19 years and have never found that it interferes with medication of any kind including herbal, homeopathic, vitamins or minerals or regular medication. I prefer the Equate from Wal Mart rather than Metamucil because it seems a little courser.

Base on my experience I would not try to fit it in with any other "Stuff" you're taking. Just take it ---you be the judge!!!

I take it after breakfast in a powder form in about 10 ounces of water with 2 medicines mixed with it and about 2 hours after supper about 8:30pm. My wife takes it in a capsule form 880mgs ---2 WITH breakfast and 1 WITH supper. She says the powder form bloats her too much and makes her hernia hurt. I don't have any problem like her.

Psyllium is ground up seed that contains fiber that absorbs fluid and fiber that does not. It is safe to take daily but just drink enough water with it. I drink 6 to 8 glasses daily. I think taking psyllium as a fiber supplement is a very healthy thing to do. As you may know colon cancer is the number 2 cause of cancer deaths in the USA. It works as a bowel regulator and works for constipation as well as diarrhea. It makes your BM gentle without staining. It also seem to clean out the Gastro Tract---- all the folds and pockets.

I certainly wish you well!!!

Harry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2002, 02:08 PM   #3
Inactive

isolated one HB User
Thanks for the replies. Harry, when you say don't take it with other "stuff", do you mean laxatives? The reason I started taking the Metamucil is because I had been taking a 300 mg of docusate sodium (stool softener) daily and wanted something more natural, however I'm afraid to give it up and I now take both. I have an extreme fear of constipation. Did I understand correctly that it's ok to double up on my morning dose of Metamucil? As it is, I make sure to drink 8 to 9 glasses of water every day but, as Jane said, I also don't think that alone is enough to stay regular ....... Gary

Old 12-06-2002, 06:47 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Gary and Jane,

I did not say ---don't take psyllium with other stuff --- I said don't try to fit it in with other stuff --- just take it. I suggest taking it twice daily and don't take the doses too close together --- at least 6 to 8 hours apart. The container say 3 times daily but if I need more ---I eat 4 to 6 prunes for several days.

Your Gastrointestinal(GI) system needs fiber for it to function properly. Years ago that was not a problem because people ate more fruits and veggies but today alot of our food is processed and does not contain enough fiber or the right kind of fiber. As you know we are all different but a person needs 20 to 35 grams of fiber daily for theirr GI system to operate properly. All meat including seafood and all dairy products contain NO fiber.

Your body is made-up of 70% water but you still have to have fiber for your GI system to work and produce muscle contractions(peristalsis) in your colon. You are not a radiator that needs a great deal of water.

Food has to stay in your system some length of time for your system to extract important nutrients. I think one or two BMs daily is OK but everyone is different. Exercise is also important for bowel functioning.
I don't think a stool softener is necessary unless you have a real physical handicap. I read that it messes with your liver but everything messes with your liver since it is our detox organ and perform over 700 functions.

God Bless--- Harry

Old 12-07-2002, 06:10 AM   #5
Inactive

isolated one HB User
Thanks Harry. I think my system may be starting to adjust to to the Metamucil, as there's not nearly as much gas as when I started. I've noticed that even the one dose definitely has that "bulking effect" but it also happens later in the day and is harder to pass. I have the feeling that taking the stool softener daily and Milk of Magnesia twice a week for two years made my system too used to having very soft movements. I hope that's the case anyway...... Gary

Old 12-07-2002, 06:44 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Gary,
Metamucil is a natural fiber and is brokendown by your intestinal bacteria, it ferments and does produce gas but with continued use the gas will go away.

The use of laxatives and stool softeners will make you dependant on them and result in losing the muscle tone in your colon. Your stool should be firm, tubular in shape and about the diameter of a quarter. With the addition of water absorbable fiber it seems easy to pass ----sort of like it's lubricated.

I don't think a very soft stool all the time is healthy???

Harry

Old 12-08-2002, 04:57 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Jane,
I think it's best to take Metamucil twice daily --- in the morning and the evening. It's a fiber and as such it helps regulates your BMs.

The food that you eat just doesn't sit in your intestines ----it is being digested and in that process vital vitamins, minerals as well as the nutrients required for you to be healthy are being processed. So, don't try to rush the process.

God Bless--- Harry

Old 12-09-2002, 08:14 AM   #8
Inactive

isolated one HB User
Jane, what kind of tranquilizer do you take? These prescription meds that doctors over prescribe to often have side effects, many of them serious. It's a crime to see how these powerful profit-driven drug companies are getting so many people to consume their products. Constipation will be a common side effect of most prescription sedatives. There are much safer herbal alternatives that work just as well and even better, with out the severe side effects. I have anxiety disorder and take Scullcap during the evening to calm my nerves. There are many herbs available to treat anxiety. If you think about trying any of these, just be sure NOT to use them while you are taking any prescription meds.

Old 12-09-2002, 02:40 PM   #9
Inactive

isolated one HB User
Jane, you will find this out sooner or later but prescription drugs are not the answer. They effect your brain and body the same way illegal "street drugs" do. What works now will slowly stop working and you will keep going from med to med to med. This is a NO WIN situation. The main motive of all these prescription medicines is PROFIT. Believe it or not, many doctors are now under the influence of the drug companies to prescribe as much of this crap as possible. Legal in no way means "safe". So many of these drugs are rushed on to the market before anything is known about the long term effects. In a manner of speaking, this makes those who take these meds "lab rats". I highly suggest doing a web search for the drugs you have taken. You'll be shocked at the short term side effects already known. And you will also notice how your doctor has the convenience of leaving this valuable information out when writing your prescriptions......Gary

Old 12-09-2002, 02:58 PM   #10
Inactive

isolated one HB User
Jane, you said your social life is nill, you're over anxious about going to the bathroom, and the best part of the day is probably when you go. I thought I was the only one like that! I have to be one of the biggest introverts possible. I'm also starting to believe the focused anxiety about bowel movements may be a big part of the problem. I've been experimenting with anti anxiety/antidepressant herbs to take during the day (the Scullcap is a little too strong for daytime use). I think I've found something just in the last few days that really seems to be helping. I'm feeling as if I shouldn't press this issue too much but if you or anyone else is interested, maybe one of us could start a new topic on this. .....Gary

Old 12-11-2002, 02:33 PM   #11

JanettoB HB User
Lightbulb

Hey guys, I've felt like the "QUEEN OF CONSTIPATION" for years.

I've tried Metamucil and it just doesn't do for me. Even megadoses with lots and lots of water. I do have a very large stretched out colon.

What I have finally found that does work for me is "ALL-BRAN EXTRA FIBER". Normal All Bran will not do the trick for me. This stuff is like eating dog food......really tasted like cardboard when I first started eating it. I have gotten use to it and it doesn't bother me anymore. I was also obsessed with having BM's. If I waited to long....boy was I in trouble.

I am an American living in Venezuela and we do not get the extra fiber bran here. I was in the states several months ago and brought back 10 boxes of the stuff. It's is so nice to have a BM everyday!!!!!!!!

Closed Thread