It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2002, 08:53 AM   #1

cherylmc2 HB User
Question Parasite infection?need advice

I am writing because after 3 1/2 months of bowel problems,I am getting very frustrated! I guess I should give you a little background. I am 31yr old female and am a stay at home mother of four kids. One of my children was recently diagnosed as autistic and this past year has been the most stressful ever. Anyway,I went into severe depression back in June and was put on effexor(started at 37.5mg and worked up to 300mg which I am still on now). I also take restoril 30mg at night for sleep. I was diagnosed 5 yrs ago with IBS so I am pretty aware of what brings it on,as far as certain foods and of course,stress,which is hard to avoid. After I started the meds,I seemed to feel better,but realized that I was going up to 2 weeks without having a bowel movement. I was also losing weight(a total of 15 lbs in about 6wks). I would try to go on my own,but after a week,I would use a laxative. It then became where even with the laxative,I still couldn't go. I didn't want to use a stimulant laxative,so instead I would use a glycerin suppository and this started to help and then I was going about every3-4 days. Then in early October,I noticed blood in my stool on three different occasions mixed with mucous and sometimes it would be just mucous and no stool,but lots of pain when going and a feeling of not emptying after going. I was worn out and had back pain and would have to put heating pad on it after to sleep at night. I decided then to go see a gastro,since my father has Crohns and my brother had ulcerative colitis and had his colon removed.( both were diagnosed at 19 and 28 yrs of age). When I went to the Dr., he couldn't get a stool sample because there was no stool in the rectum,so he orderd bloodwork and scheduled a colonoscopy,but couldn't get me in for it until dec. Meanwhile the pain got worse and it was mainly on left side,in lower abdomen but was also having pain right under ribs and it was worse after eating,sometimes sharp shooting pains that would have me doubled over. Dr. ordered Sonogram(abdominal and transvaginal). Both were normal. The bloodwork was as well. This has been almost consant dull pain and pain with bowel movements since then. I noticed more blood a few weeks ago,so they finally did colonoscopy. It was normal. They did some biopsys,but I haven't heard back yet. He gave me a med. called Zelnorm for IBS and wants me to let him know in a few weeks how its doing. This past week i thought I saw something in my stool that looked like a worm,less than an inch long and white and flat. I thought I saw it move and it really scared me. My husband said he didn't think that it was any thing,so I thought I would just wait and see if I notice it again. Well,yesterday in my stool,I KNOW I saw 2 of them at seperate ends and one was moving(barely,but I know it moved!) I'm scared to death and since I 've been having problems for so long,I'm worried they could have really done damage to my intestines. Can anyone tell me what kind of parasite this sounds like and are these symptoms consistant? I haven't had any diarrhea or vomiting,but stomach is very tender and still hhaving pain with bowel movements. Also,is this contagious? I have 4 children and a husband. I just don't know how I could have gotten this. This is really embarassing to talk about,but I need to know what to do. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Cheryl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2002, 03:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Lindarella HB User
You'd need to go to the doctor for a stool sample. They give you some containers that you take home.

Old 12-12-2002, 02:19 PM   #3
Veteran

ChristinaD HB User
I would definetely go to the doctor. You can get worms just like a dog or cat does. I remember my friend telling me that she had them when she was little from eating dirt and stuff that little ones eat. Those were pinworms. They are contagious and it is advised that the whole family is checked. There are also other worms that you can get from raw pork and other meat. One is Trichina. I would definetely go to the doc, they sound like worms to me. I'm sure you'll be fine just get in taken care of asap!
Christina

[This message has been edited by ChristinaD (edited 12-12-2002).]
June 2002: Had a relapse and tore/ruptured disc again.
Now I'm 14 months into it and the pain is still there.
Can't deal with it anymore so I'm having a discectomy in Sept. Hoping and praying that it takes care of my problems!!

Closed Thread