It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2002, 06:41 PM   #1

lil red chevy HB User
Post Gas and fiber

HI,

I have been hearing alot that people are getting really bad gas when they start taking fiber. I also hear it goes away after some time. My question is how bad is the gas and how long before it starts to go away? I work in a school and this could cause some problems but I really want to try the fiber thing. Please let me know what you have found for the gas to subside time wise. Thanks!

liil red chevy

[This message has been edited by lil red chevy (edited 12-12-2002).]

Old 12-12-2002, 09:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
What you need to do is start off with a half a dose for several days and see what happens. As you know everybody is different and results in different reactions. Psyllium that is in Metamucil and Equate from Wal Mart is nateral ---gets brokendown by your intestinal bacteria and ferments producing the Gas. Increase the dose gradully as your system gets use to it.
It usually takes 2 doses daily along with your other food to produce gentle healthy BMs without straining. Just make sure you drink enough water with the dose and daily.

Some people have little problems and others intake enough without soluble fiber. But, unless you really try ----it's sort hard to get the 20 to 35 grams of fiber daily for proper Gastroinestinal functioning.

I wish you well---Harry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2002, 06:01 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
Smile

Ditto what Harry says. Everyone is different; I've found with the addition of acidophilus capsules into my daily life, my gas problem is almost non-existent.

My gas was pretty bad at first - the bloating/cramping, but did ease up over a couple weeks. But as I said, the acidophilus caps will help, too.

Katie G

Old 12-13-2002, 06:13 AM   #4
Inactive

isolated one HB User
When I first started taking Metamucil, the gas was so bad that I was thinking of giving it up. I hung in there through the first couple weeks and now the Metamucil no longer causes that problem. I was wondering, is the gas a result of the fiber clearing out bad bacteria?

Old 12-13-2002, 08:38 AM   #5

lil red chevy HB User
Hi,

Thanks for the input. I will try to get started this weekend. I cant imagine that the gas will be worse then having diarrehea off and on all the time. I am going to try the other suggestions too but I think I will try to add them after one thing at a time. Thanks again! It is such a relief to finally talk to people who know what its like.

lil red chevy

Closed Thread