It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2002, 10:21 AM   #1

FootballStar HB User
Post Stomach problem

Hey, I'm 18 yrs. old and have been recently having pain in the "just below the breastbone" area of my stomach. My stomach feels bloated and it hurts when I apply pressure to it. In addition to that, I hear burps in my stomach as if it was letting off gases. Everytime I eat, the pain intensifies. I seem to have lost apetite and lost some weights over the last week. This all began last week when I began taking Toprol XL for high blood pressure. Could there be any connections with this? I also have ulcer history within my family as my brother ended up in the hospital a few years ago and so has my dad. I'm leaning towards ulcers but I'm not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 12-12-2002, 05:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Arrow

Ulcers ---85% of stomach(peptic) ulcers are caused by H.pylori bacteria infections. You can be tested with a blood test or a breath test to see if you're positive. Ulcers are not inherited???

Toprol XL is an extended release beta blocker---- it basically slows your heart rate down and dialates your blood vessels. This type medication is not usually given at the beginning of High BP---- usually ---Diet modifications and salt reduction prior to this expensive heavy duty medication. I haven't looked up the side-effects but your druggist could tell you.

The symptoms you describe sounds like a hiatus hernia.

God Bless--- Harry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2002, 07:03 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

farscape66 HB User
Same with me and it was hiatial hernia not an ulcer. An Upper GI x-ray Barium swallow will reveal the source of the problem. Good luck, I know from experience how painful it can be.

Old 12-16-2002, 04:53 PM   #4

FootballStar HB User
Update!

Ok, it seems as if my condition has improved greatly over the weekend. I have gained my apetite back and no more stomach problems, at least for now. Yesterday, I had the worst diarhea-all green water.(That's what I needed) Anyway, I came to a conclusion that I just might've had a stomach virus or some food poisoning. Thanks for your responses, guys, I really appreciate it. So long for now...

Closed Thread