It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2002, 09:24 PM   #1

AngelaMDarling HB User
Post Sarah........simple stomach ache

Hello........a series of questions...what is the cause of just a simple stomach ache, and what can you do to get rid of it?
How can you know if you are getting the stomach 'flu' vs just having a stomach ache?
I remember earlier this year I had a stomach ache, and hours later I woke up in the middle of the night vomiting up all my dinner. Oh yea, I had eaten that night with a stomach ache thinking it was caused by being hungry, but I sure did pay the price for eating. What would happen if you had the stomach 'flu' on a virtually empty stomach?

[This message has been edited by AngelaMDarling (edited 12-23-2002).]

Old 12-09-2002, 02:59 PM   #2
Super Sarah

Talking

Stomach flu is caused by a viral infection and normally lasts for a few days and can cause belly ache, diarrhea and vomiting.

There are so many things that can cause a simple belly ache that it is hard to know. It can be caused by the food you are eating upseting your stomach or possibly eating too late at night or it could be something you are eating that you are allergic to.

Belly ache should resolve within 24 to 48 hours and can be due to overeating and hunger. Stomach flu is a viral illness and you may also have a fever with it as well as belly ache, vomiting and diarrhea. It takes longer to resolve than simple belly ache.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2002, 09:38 PM   #3

AngelaMDarling HB User
I have this stupid phobia of the stomach 'flu.' I had it only a few times in my life and I just CANNOT stand to throw up.

I work with kids, go to college, so I am just asking to catch it, I did it March...horrible

I am always washing my hands good with soap and drying them off after just about anything germy...taking 2 warm baths/showers a day...but what about those purell gels that I have that kill bacteria on hands...can that kill a 'virus' lingering on your hands?? Can you simply catch it if the infected person breaths in the same room as you?

Old 12-11-2002, 03:13 AM   #4
Super Sarah

Talking

I think you are getting a little too hungup about this. The more you relax about it, the less likely you are to get sick and the more positive your mental attitude the less likely it is too.

Also, rather than viruses, I prefer to think of illness as susceptibility. If you think about it, you have probably been in contact with kids with stomach viruses a hell of a lot more than you have actually contracted a bad stomach yourself. You can easily come into contact with someone who is unwell and be near them for long periods, but remain well yourself. This means that at that particular time, you are not susceptible and if you are not susceptible, you will not become unwell however much contact you have with someone who is unwell.

Also, it depends on what you are susceptible to. You may be around someone with a bad stomach and not be susceptible to that and not become unwell, but then you may go near someone who has bronchitis and if you are susceptible to that, then you may well get it.

I would advise you against using too many anti-bacterial washes, they are not necessary and washing your hands well with soap and water is sufficient. If you use anti-bacterial washes too much, your skin can become depleted of its natural flora and may leave you susceptible to infection also, so you need to strike a happy medium. I would suggest that soap and water is perfectly adequate for everyday life and being what is called 'socially clean'. You don't need anti-bacterial washes unless you work in a hopital setting.

I think that you may benefit from taking some high dose Vitamin C 500 to 1000mg daily. This will boost your immune system and what your body does not use is excreted. Also, Echinacea tincture is good for boosting immunity.

You may also like to look at your diet and see if you are getting plenty of fruit and veg. Too much junk food, dairy products and sometimes wheat and stimulants can all affect your immunity and lower it and can also give you stomach problems, which may make you more susceptible to a stomach virus.

Yes, viruses can be spread by droplet infection, which includes breathing, but if you are not susceptible in the first place, then you will not become unwell.

Hope this helps and stop worrying. The less anxious about this you become, the less likely you will be to become unwell?

Old 12-13-2002, 01:22 PM   #5

AngelaMDarling HB User
thanks guys....i am pretty paranoid about catching it...the kids at work puke all the time and i have to clean it up. i always think im next. i keep my hands clean but of course not compulsive. everyone at work is saying yea my kids are at home today throwing up, oh i dont feel good, and then a kid right next to us will just puke. i always start to think how bad it is when it happens. i just cringe thinking about the taste.

Old 12-14-2002, 02:33 PM   #6
Super Sarah

Talking

As I said before, if you are not susceptible at the time, you will not get any illnesses. Half of the things that people say that they 'catch' live quite happily within us all the time. When one becomes ill, it is because you have become susceptible for some reason and things have beocme out of balance within you, not that you have caught something. You can't catch something that is within you already.

Old 12-15-2002, 08:01 PM   #7

AngelaMDarling HB User
I never thought/knew that! lol

Do you also mean that we don't really 'pass' things around to each other? If someone has a virus and their bodily fluid is rubbed into my eye, I will only get sick if I am susceptible, correct? Not to mention, I would never allow that in the first place unless I was sneezed on. In almost 20 years, I've only had a stomach virus 3 times. Not including before kindergarten when I have no idea of course and didn't care. I've noticed that in the summer I eat so much greasy junk and love that full feeling...and in the winter months I eat healthier and less portions.

Old 12-16-2002, 01:33 AM   #8

AngelaMDarling HB User
Ugh I had diarreah late tonight sunday. Not that horrible 'soup' watery icky kind, but mush clumps that didnt color the water (good)

I don't know if I'm
1. sick
2. it's due to the 3rd small grilled cheese sandwich (butter, cheese) and a pepsi
3. the coral calcium pill

Please God dont let me throw up...my stomach feels ok but warm and bubbly. I feel kind of warm.

[This message has been edited by AngelaMDarling (edited 12-16-2002).]

Old 12-16-2002, 01:47 AM   #9

AngelaMDarling HB User
I'm reading that there are medications out there which stop/prevent nausea and vomiting. avomine and cinnarizine?

I'm probably overwhelmed at times by the thought of throwing up, due to the horrible experiences of it...I would like to know if the body is capable, either naturally or through medication, to 'just' have diarreah when it needs to dispose of an illness. Why must it have to come up through your mouth, there has to be something that can make it go another route esp since vomiting is controlled by the brain. (?)
I know its not the end of the world and it is rather brief, but its just one of those things...lol

Old 12-16-2002, 03:10 AM   #10
Super Sarah

Talking

If you have not been sick then do not take any of these medications. It sounds very much as if you have an upset stomach due to what you have eaten. Cheese sandwiches and soda are a perfect combination for this.

Yes, it is perfectly possible to have diarrhea without vomiting. If you have eaten something and it has gone beyond the stomach and into the bowels, then this will more normally produce diarrhea. If you have just eaten something and it is still in the stomach, then vomiting is more likely.

If this stomach upset is from something that you have eaten, then do not take anything to suppress it. It is your body's natural reaction to want to get rid of it, so let it happen. Drink plenty of water, don't eat for 24 hours and your stomach should soon settle. You can also drink Chamomile or Peppermint tea to help settle your stomach. Put heat pads on your stomach if it is painful to help relax the muscle and so stop the pain.

The fact that you said that your diet is worse in the summer demonstrates the fact about your system becoming unblanced and you becoming more susceptible to stomach upsets. You get fewer stomach upsets in the winter because your diet is healthier and your system is more balanced.

I am not saying that viruses do not exist, they do, but what I am saying is your body contains a lot of bacteria and viruses anyway and whether you become ill or not has to do with whether you are susceptible at a particular moment and how balanced your body is as a whole. If your gut bacteria are out of balance and this can be due to what you eat,. then you are more susceptible to having a bad stomach more often.

I would suggest that you try and modify your diet a little, by cutting out junk food and reducing dairy intake. This should definitely help. Cut out soda and coffee too. You should also try taking some Acidophilus caps or eating some live yogurt to rebalance your good gut bacteria and if your bacteria are more balanced, you should not get a bad stomach so often.

At present it does sound as if you have a stomach upset from what you have eaten. Do not take anything to suppress this, but let it happen and it should resolve in 24 to 48 hours. If it does not, then I would recommend that you take the homeopathic remedy Nux vomica 30c This is good for all sorts of stomach upsets from food.

If you do not think it is from what you have eaten and it goes on and you feel that you have a fever, then I would recommend that you take some Arsenicum Album in a 30c potency also. This is extremely effective for diarrhea and vomiting with stomach cramps and also for food poisoning. You should be able to get this from any healthfood store.

Old 12-16-2002, 03:13 AM   #11

AngelaMDarling HB User
I think I am emetophobic

Old 12-16-2002, 08:35 AM   #12
Super Sarah

Talking

If you are, then maybe you need to deal with this, like say by having some counselling. How long ago did it start and can you remember anything that was going on in your life at the time it started?

If you get to the real cause of your problem, then you have a chance of solving it. If you just treat the symptoms by taking medication to stop you feeling and being sick, then you will never get better.

I never believe anyone who says that they can't find the cause. It is there, but maybe hidden and may take time.

In the meantime why not try the Nux Vomica and Arsenicum that I suggested?

Old 12-16-2002, 09:17 AM   #13

AngelaMDarling HB User
Thanks for the replies...I am not sure if I had a stomach virus minus vomiting, or it was the food...I did feel shaky and hot, unable to sleep for hours, etc.

Which of those 2 pills you mentioned should I pick? Esp since I think it is gone now, but I still wont eat real food today.

Also, about the different pills I mentioned...can preventing your body from vomiting cause toxins to stay there and come up once the medication rubs off/cause harm internally?

I was reading about emetophobia and I know I'm not one of those extreme cases where they won't go places, wont eat at restaurants and other things...but I do know what it is about vomiting that makes me fear doing it...it's the taste of it, and the blockage you feel in your throat/squeezing of the muscles...someone at my work also said this.

Oh yea....my diet is bad in the summer (I will change that for sure) because I have never vomitted in the summer months. I feel totally different when I know 'the' virus isnt going around. This phobia comes and goes and has gotten to its worse in the past month. For instance I went through middle and high school without having any vomitting. Maybe because it is so rare I have way too much time to think about when it'll hit next. This season I have now, unusually, had two bouts of stomach virus minus vomitting.

Old 12-16-2002, 09:35 AM   #14

AngelaMDarling HB User
the same kind of bm again...as described above...I guess that food has decided to do what I asked it to.

Old 12-16-2002, 09:58 AM   #15

AngelaMDarling HB User
I'm such a nag lol............I find you and Harry really helpful/informative........I asked in another thread: what types of foods are stomach friendly (healthwise too)

I definitely don't need to lose weight, that's why I always reach for the bad stuff (not chocolate and pastry, but salt/dairy/grease)

Closed Thread