It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2002, 02:18 PM   #1

mushroom1 HB User
Post psyllium (Harry?)

I tried taking plain psyllium and I went back to not being able to have a B.M. (TERRIBLE!)
I was just wondering why it doesn't work, when the Equate brand works?
And is the Equate brand fiber or is it a laxative, as it states?
I am confused...
Thanks Dr. Harry.

Old 12-27-2002, 03:58 PM   #2

fiber HB User
Hi, I'm not Harry, I'm Jane. Thought I would respond to your post. I too, take psyllium fibre in capsule form and here's the catch. You have to drink LOTS of water. I drink up to 10 glasses a day. You get used to it. If you don't, you will be constipated. Good luck! As for the Equate brand saying it is a laxative, I'd be interested in hearing about that one too. The herbs in my capsule also say it is a laxative and I asked a health nutritionist and she assured me it was safe to take every day.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2002, 05:51 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Hi Mush,

I have taken the Equate Brand for many years with good results. But, I do try other things just to see if it works. I also have taken the capsules and found like Jane that you have to drink alot of water. I think it has to do with the form ----in a powder form it imediately mixes with the water and startes absorption process whereas in a capsule the gelatin cover of the cap has to dissolve before the psyllium can absorb water. That can happen further down your intestines. It depends on the time your stomach gets rid of the capsule.(transit time)----everybody is different. So, you may need to drink more fluid.

My wife takes 2 capsules (880 mgrms) with breakfast and 1 with supper --- has been doing it for years but she drinks more water than I do. The Powder form starts expanding right away when contacting fluid --- caused her too much bloating in the stomach along with pain.

They have not changed PSYLLIUM and it use to say on the container "Bowel Regulator" for many years but now as you know it says"natrual fiber laxative". It does contain other ingredients--- but I think that's for mixing--- I know the methylcellulose is the active stuff in Citrucel. But, it works as a bulking agent about the same for diarrhea just like it does for constipation.

I have tried just the powder but if you breath while swallowing it'll go down your windpipe and almost choke you because the pure powder sort of floats on top and does not mix very well. I know several people that use Konsyl powder(pure psyllium) and they use a shaker for mixing.

God Bless--- Harry

Old 12-28-2002, 09:00 AM   #4

mushroom1 HB User
Thank you both for responding. Actually what I started taking was "psyllium husks powder - all natural fiber supplement"
It tasted terrible, but I thought that it would be better to take just the psylliium powder, without the other added ingredients...yet it didn't work at all and I was just wondering why. Makes me think one of those other ingredients in the Equate brand is actually doing the trick. What do you think?

Old 12-28-2002, 10:03 AM   #5
(female)

cbj HB User
Hi-
Drinking lots of fluid is the key. I have mild Crohn's disease and it really works stopping loose stools, too. I prefer methylcellulose (less gas) than psyillium. Try mixing your powder in orange juice or if you are diabetic, a sugar free Crystal lite or something. After you finish the Equate, look around for the orange flavored stuff. It's the same, but doesn't taste nasty. Both psyillium and methylcellulose come in orange flavored powder. Also, take this stuff religously, even if you are not "plugged" up!

Cathy

Old 12-29-2002, 04:57 PM   #6

fiber HB User
I switched from metamucil to Herbal Fibre Capsule and it works the same. I get about 3 to 4 bm's each morning and I also drink 5 glasses of water in the am and again in the pm. I also rely heavily on All bran Original and psylium all bran. I take prune juice, prunes, sunflower seeds, fruit and vegys. I also find going to Tim Horton's for a hot cocoa actually helps me to have a nice bm too. I felt too bloated on the Metamucil and the fibre pill I take has Black Walnut and Butternut Bark to name a few herbs that are good for washing you clean inside. It's expensive, but I cannot afford to be constipated at all!

Closed Thread