It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2002, 02:09 PM   #1
Inactive

Mandie HB User
Post rectal prolapse and constipation

Well I went to another rectal surgeon the other day because I am in such pain and no one can help me. This one said that maybe I have a rectocele or rectal prolapse. He just threw this out to me and told me that I should probably have an anal ultrasound and defography. I am starting to really give up hope at this time and just am so afraid to go thru all of these horrible tests. I am really so afraid and depressed and sit and cry all the time. Ha anyone gone thru any of these tests or had this diagnosis? I just need to talk to someone who has been thru this and maybe help me to cope in this nightmare that I am in. It is now over a year that I sam suffering, and the pain is taking over my life. Please, help me

Old 12-28-2002, 02:50 PM   #2

Robbin HB User
Hi Mandie,

I believe we have corresponed before, awhile back. You don't live very far from me. If you don't mind can you tell me which Doctors you have been seeing. Maybe we have seen the same Dr.s. I am also still having some problems. Maybe we can compare notes.

Robbin

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-28-2002, 02:51 PM   #3

Robbin HB User
Hi Mandie,

I believe we have corresponed before, awhile back. You don't live very far from me. If you don't mind can you tell me which Doctors you have been seeing. Maybe we have seen the same Dr.s. I am also still having some problems. Maybe we can compare notes.

Robbin

Old 12-30-2002, 04:23 PM   #4
Inactive

Mandie HB User
Robun, I would love to talk with you online, but I don't think that we are allowed to give our e mail addressed on this board. If you find out that we can exchange addressed, pleasse let me know, it not, we can talk here, even though it is more difficult to communicate and be personal about our problems. I know with me, this pain and suffering that I have been in for over a year is very personal and I do not like to talk to just anyone about it. Let's face it, rectal pain can be a source or amusement to those who have never experienced it, and I just can not deal with this anymore I would love to be able to talk to someone who "is there with this horror" and understands what I am going thru. Hope to hear from you soon----

Old 12-30-2002, 06:52 PM   #5

Robbin HB User
Hi mandi,

I don't think we are allowed to exchange e-mail info, so we will have to talk on this forum. I know how you feel, it seems that it will never come to an end and it becomes the focus of everything you do. I have been to some of the gastro doctors and colon rectal surgeons in our area. I too have gotten different diagnoises from them. I can say that I have been to a colon/rectal Dr. in Shrewsbury who I liked very much . He is the only one I can say that I trust and now it is up too me to see how much testing I am willing to go through. Only one Dr. that I went to saw a fissure (the one in long branch) and wanted to do surgery. I am beginning to think all my problems are diet related. Since I introduced much more fiber in my diet, that is where I am tracing my problems to.So for now, as an experiment I have lowered my fiber and see if my pain is any better. I know for sure that I don't have a fissure. It is more like a muscle thing I think. Or maybe like IBS. Let me know how you are doing.

Robbin

Old 12-30-2002, 09:01 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Muscle spasms can cause pain nomatter where the muscle are located. Alot of muscle spasm are caused by lack of some minerals in your diet. The major ones are calcium, magnesium and potassium.

Potasium and sodium is regulated by a harmone put out by your adrenal glands. So, you really don't have to be very concerned except make sure you get enough potassium in the foods you eat.

Calcium as well as magnesium you usually have to supplement with a mineral supplement.

For rectal pain that is relieved by warm water or the heat from a heating pad ----there is an very good homeopathic remedy that is available at most health food stores--- Magnesia Phos. in either 6X or 30X potency. I have used it many times for back pain, rectal pain, hernia pain and all sorts of muscle pain.

I have written this before as well as Super Sarah but since you know nothing of Homeopathy ---you will not try it --- well you don't have to know!!! It works.

Harry

Old 12-31-2002, 07:14 AM   #7
Inactive

Mandie HB User
Robin it sounds so much like me when you talk. I have been to a dr. in Long Branch too, - It is a group and I don't know if I can mention their name. But, I did not really feel comfortable with them either. I was told that I had a fissure by one dr. and then others said I did not. I am so confused. I was told one thing by one, and another contraditon by another. I have been going to a big group in Edison for the past 6 months and I even had steriod injections applied in the rectum with hopes that this would help whatever was causing the pain. But, this did not help me either. They even suggested botox injections, which my husband was against. Each time I go to a dr. I lose more and more hope/ I really think that mine is a muscular problem too- it is hard to explain why, because some of my reasons are really personal and I wish that we would have the opportunity to compare notes privately. THere would be much that I could talk to you about with the drs that I have seen. Is there a way that we could get in touch? Maybe there is a support group in NJ that you know about that I do not know about. THere are support groups for all other ailments, why not for this? It is so helpful when you can talk and commiserate with others with the same problems and heartaches. It helps in learning, as well as coping with the problem. I am sure that you agree. I have not found any other groups online that address this problem, either. Have you? Well, let me know-

Old 12-31-2002, 10:10 AM   #8

Robbin HB User
Hi Mandi,

Do you keep a log of your pain. I do, and also have been writing down BM"S to see if their is a pattern. Do you eat alot of fiber? That is when my troubles started. I know fiber is supposed to be good for you but it really turned my whole system upside down. I always felt like I had to have a BM, and terrible gas. Maybe it was straining the muscles because I was pushing to get out every last piece. I have resigned to live in discomfort. I don't really know anymore, I have to take each day one by one.

Robbin

Old 12-31-2002, 04:22 PM   #9
Inactive

Mandie HB User
Robbin My family keeps telling me not to give up hope. and I try so hard to do this. It is a nightmare that you and I are living in, but, I just feel that there is an answer out there. The only problem is in getting the answer, the might be some tortuous tests to go thru. My dr. told me about two of them- a vieo defagrophy and an anal ultrasound. The first one is just awful and quite humiliating but it is the only one that shows how the rectal muscles work when you are going to the bathroom It also shows rectoceles and rectal prolapse too. Unfortunately, the only answer to these problems is surgery, and awful sugery at that. I was explained at length regarding what is done and it is a very long and painful recovery. So, the question is- do we really want to know what is wrong with us, and do we go ahead with major surgery, or do we walk around in pain and depressed? Not very good options, huh? I don't mean to be a downer, but I am just telling you what I have been told. It is now New Years Eve, and instead of out partying and having a good time, here I sit on the computer depressed and in pain. I sometimes wonder what I ever did to deserve this horrible life that I am living and I truly feel sorry for my poor husband who has to endure it with me. He is just wonderful, and does understand and is very happy to sit here with me tonight, instead of being with friends. He knows that I can not be happy or celebrate. So, Robbin, what is the answer? I just wish that I could find a support group to help me live thru this- it is so hard to be in it alone with really no one to talk to or understand. I think that is why I am sitting home tonight. Maybe, if I had someone else, like you, we could talk and even laugh together and somehow try to get thru all of this. Well, Robbin, I wish you a happy new year and pray that maybe some miracle will happen for both of us in 2003--- M

Old 01-01-2003, 10:37 AM   #10

Robbin HB User
Hi Mandi,

Happy New Year (I hope). Anyway, maybe you should go through the tests, and this way once and for all you will know for sure. Otherwise the Doctors are just guessing. I'm sure the tests are done in a way as not to embarress the patient. I'm sure people have had alot worse. Do you only have pain with BM's? Maybe you should try stool softeners, but then again you probably have tried everything. Can you trace back to when all your pain started? Maybe that will help.

Robbin

Old 01-01-2003, 03:42 PM   #11
Inactive

Mandie HB User
Robbin I just don't know what to do. I have had rectal problems for years and they have called it levator syndrome. It does not hurt from a BM, it just aches all the time no matter what. I have had so many other medical tests for other problems, and I am so tired of being poked and probed. I just cannot seem to ever be well no matter what I do . I have a wonderful internist that I am working with but even he is getting fed up with me and my problems. I am seeing a therapist for all of this, but , still, if you are not in my shoes, no one knows what a nightmare I am living and the best advice is still so hard to follow. I am in the house with such a bad cold, miserable from that. I just wish that I could find a support group in my area, but none of the drs can help me with this. It would be so helpful- This board is great for venting and getting advice, but as I said before, it is hard to talk about personal issues. M

Closed Thread