It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2003, 10:28 PM   #1

AN_15 HB User
Post Pin Worms-I'm terrified! It's been 1.5 Years

I am a 15 year old girl who has had pin worms for about a year and a half now. The first time I had them my entire stool was completely covered with these moving white worms. Since then, I have had five more recurring cases of them. I'm guessing they just never went away after the very first infection. The first time I had them, the doctor just called in a prescription for Vermox for me to take. I took both doses. The other times we have purchased an ineffective over-the-counter medication called Reese's Pin Worm Medication. I have been a vegetarian for five years, so I am wondering if this could have played a factor in me getting them. The first time I had them, I was able to see them in my vagina. Today, I noticed some crawling around in my pubic hair. I have started eating meat again, as of November. I have been taking black walnut pills, garlic pills, and potent acidopholous for four days now. We have also been washing my sheets daily. Can anyone please tell me what to do? Also, I have been begging my mom to not take me to the doctor, as I am afraid they will make me pull down my pants and look in that area. Can anyone please tell me what to expect when i go to the doctor tomorrow, ie. What questions/ possible procedures could take place. I would appreciate any responses before I go tomorrow afternoon. Thank you so much in advance for your help.
--Ann

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2003, 10:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Lindarella HB User
One reason you may keep getting them is because they're quite easy to get. Everyone in the house has to be treated even if they show no signs. All the sheets, blankets, towels and clothing in the house should be washed in hot water, and everyone's fingernails (which might hold the worm eggs) should be carefully cleaned and cut short. You deposit microscopic eggs all over the house by not washing your hands properly or itching yourself and these get inhaled and the cycle continues.

The treatment you recieved the first time may have worked but these other procedures were not followed carefully enough and you got reinfested.

Vermox and pyrantel are the treatments for pinworms.

The doctor may ask you for a stool sample. You would do this at home in privacy and it would be brought back either to the doctor or a lab. They give you special plastic jars to put it in with instuctions. It's very easy and painless. Since you've already had this once and been treated, the doctor may just take your word for it. I highly doubt he'd make you pull down your pants at your age.

One other thing I forgot. Since you can see them, if you can collect any and take them with you that may spare you any tests. Sometimes taking a piece of tape to your skin around your anus can get the microscopic eggs to stick to the tape.

Good luck. It'll all be ok.

[This message has been edited by Lindarella (edited 01-02-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2003, 10:48 AM   #3

AN_15 HB User
Thanks for your response. I must have not followed the procedure well enough the first time, even though I thought I did. I have kept my nails cut short, have changed my sheets daily, etc... It's irritating! My family just took the medicine for the first time last week, but my dad refused to take it. Do you think being a vegetarian has played a factor in me getting worms? Also, does anyone know if it's possible for me to have more than one kind of worms in me? I'm so scared, and I think I would pass out if I saw anything bigger than a pin worm. Thank you for your help! I'll check back here later.

Closed Thread