It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2002, 05:42 PM   #1

catty123 HB User
Question bowel problems

I have a 10 year old grandson that is having a bad problem with constapation. i have had him in ER 2 times already.he gets so bad ihe can't sit down and his legs get numb.when he goes(sometimes with enema)
it's at least 12 inchs long and 1 1/2 around. this child is in so much pain that he said he just wants to die. the other day we gave him milk of mag. correctall and finally enema..please !what else can we do?
doctor said keep him on magnesia for 6 months,but not helping.after he goe's he is so happy and tells me thank you mamaw..it hurt so bad. he even had to quit playing ball because of it. thanks for any imfo. on this.
worried mamaw

Old 12-02-2002, 11:52 PM   #2
Super Sarah

Talking

If you get severely constipated, then stools can compress the sciatic nerves that run down the leg and can cause numbness down the legs. Once you have been able to open the bowels, then this should resolve.

Do you know why your grandson has been so constipated for so long?

Also, taking Milk of Magnesia every night may not help or the relief maybe temporary, as taking this on a long term basis will alter the stomach acid and this makes it more alkaline. By altering the stomach acid constipation can become worse.

You probably need to get him on to Metamucil twice daily. This is a water soluble fiber supplement that can safely be taken twice daily and is as good for constipation as it is for diarrhea. Ensure that you take enough water with it though.

Try eating live yogurt or taking Acidophilus caps. This will help to rebalance the good gut bacteria and could help the constipation. Also Magnesium supplements could be useful in resolving constipation.

Also, look at his diet. Try and cut out junk food, chips, soda, caffeine and ensure that he eats plenty of fruit and veg and carbs. Add in prune juice to help.

If he needs to open his bowels, then glycerinne suppositories rather than Magnesia will be better. You can also make up a baking soda enema yourself if needed.

Try these suggestions and see, although I do think that continued Magnesia use is not the answer.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2002, 04:48 AM   #3

catty123 HB User
Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Super Sarah:
If you get severely constipated, then stools can compress the sciatic nerves that run down the leg and can cause numbness down the legs. Once you have been able to open the bowels, then this should resolve.

Do you know why your grandson has been so constipated for so long?

Also, taking Milk of Magnesia every night may not help or the relief maybe temporary, as taking this on a long term basis will alter the stomach acid and this makes it more alkaline. By altering the stomach acid constipation can become worse.

You probably need to get him on to Metamucil twice daily. This is a water soluble fiber supplement that can safely be taken twice daily and is as good for constipation as it is for diarrhea. Ensure that you take enough water with it though.

Try eating live yogurt or taking Acidophilus caps. This will help to rebalance the good gut bacteria and could help the constipation. Also Magnesium supplements could be useful in resolving constipation.

Also, look at his diet. Try and cut out junk food, chips, soda, caffeine and ensure that he eats plenty of fruit and veg and carbs. Add in prune juice to help.

If he needs to open his bowels, then glycerinne suppositories rather than Magnesia will be better. You can also make up a baking soda enema yourself if needed.

Try these suggestions and see, although I do think that continued Magnesia use is not the answer.
Thanks alot Super Sara! just printed out copies for my son and daughter in law.he has been having this problem for about 2 years.very underweight.parents are in middle of a divorce and they just don't seem to notice when he needs help.it is becoming so embarressing for him,he don't even want me to know.I only see him twice a week ,and when i do he is already having trouble sitting down,because it hurts. and then i have to be the bad one and make him go.but after he goes,he is so happy and thanks me.it is so sad. thanks again..going to try to get them to try this. sure hope it helps. it's hard to get them to give it right. thanks again. catty

Old 01-04-2003, 11:50 AM   #4
Inactive

ginn266 HB User
My niece has the same problem since she was an infant and now she is 11. It seems like nothing helps. I guess I will just have to pray for her and your grandson. This is so horrible for any child to go through.

------------------
Ginny

Closed Thread