It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2003, 10:11 PM   #1
Inactive

LookingForHealth HB User
Post Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!! Desperate

OK, For the past 5 days I have had tan colored extremely loose, small stools. I have that urge to run to the bathroom along with slight cramping feeling down there.

I'm a young female btw. I've been waking up in the morning recently with the feeling of ickiness like I have a temperature. Also after I've eaten dinner I feel (acid??) in my stomach like there is too much of it? Also I feel it heading upward (never tasting it or throwing up though). It's hard to describe...it's like I can feel the tingly acid feeling in my stomach.

I am taking probiotics and eat yogurt and take a daily vitamin but see absolutely no improvement. What is this...IBS, GERD???? How do you know when you can't/shouldn't treat it at home? What should I eat to bulk up my stools, because they were always normal until winter started!!!

[This message has been edited by LookingForHealth (edited 01-04-2003).]

Old 01-04-2003, 03:11 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

If you have not had stomach problems before, it could just be that you have a stomach virus. This is especially likely if you also have a temperature.

I would suggest that you take some Metamucil to help bulk up your stools. This is water soluble fiber and can help constipation and diarrhea just as well. Also, calcium supplements are a good way to help diarrhea naturally. They help your intestines absorb back more water.

A stomach virus can last longer than 5 days though, so don't worry too much. Just keep to a light diet or just fluids until your stomach settles.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2003, 09:46 AM   #3
Inactive

LookingForHealth HB User
I'll go get some metamucil....as long as it doesnt have any nasty side effects.
Some people I've told this to say that I dhould normal food and that part of the reason it's continuing is because I am eating saltines, juice, water, bananas, grilled cheese etc and need to eat like a regular person again

?

Old 01-04-2003, 09:57 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

Try eating a lighter diet that is more nutritious and definitely do not eat cheese with a bad stomach. This will really make it worse.

A good diet to eat with a bad stomach is rice, potatoe and things like that. These are all nutritious carbohydrate foods and will add some bulk to your stomach without upsetting it anymore. Try this first before the Metamucil, however it will not have any harmful effects on you. It is natural and water soluble fiber to help you if you need extra in your diet. Lots of people on these boards with stomach problems take it regularly including myself.

However, if this is a stomach virus, it should resolve naturally within the next few days. Try the diet first and then the Metamucil if that does not work.

Old 01-04-2003, 10:29 AM   #5
Inactive

LookingForHealth HB User
Thanks, any other food items I should eat?

Tonight I was going to go to the cheesecake factory and eat this baked chicken with bow tie pasta meal, not all of it of course. Is that good?

Banana, yogurt, dole juice, veggie sandwiches?

I also have had, for several weeks now, this cough that comes and goes. At some points it's such a long lasting 'spasm' that I nearly feel like my food is going to be forced up. Someone said pertussis, but I dont know.

Im such a clean person hygiene wise I dont know why I am getting all of this.

[This message has been edited by LookingForHealth (edited 01-04-2003).]

Old 01-04-2003, 11:53 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
Viruses and bacteria are in the air from other people who are ill.

Putting your hands on items in store or buggy and then touching your face can transfer germs/virsuses. Many times just breathing the air around someone who is ill will pass the germs.

Do not eat meat while ill, works the stomach too much.
Stick with soft foods such as potatoes, crackers, water, 7-Up, jello. Let your stomach rest as much as possible.

Marie

Old 01-04-2003, 05:47 PM   #7
Inactive

LookingForHealth HB User
Harry, everyone, is it ever normal to have diarrhea for a week?

This one I just had was the worst--took 20 mins to get everything out and mucus at the end I could see. Game me stomach ache/felt hot.

Old 01-04-2003, 09:48 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
It is not normal to ever have diarrhea for more than a few days. It not only dehydrates you it depleted the body of electrolytes and important nutrients as well as messes up your intestinal bacteria balance.

I know there are many germs and viruses all around us but our immune system, when heathy, keeps them in check. One thing I do daily is eat yogurt---not alot but 3 or 4 times daily and the active cultures in the yogurt keeps your friendly bacteria balanced and still friendly.

Also, take fiber like Sarah said it not only is a stool forming agent but it also promotes health bacteri growth!!!

God Bless----Harry

[This message has been edited by Harry (edited 01-05-2003).]

Old 01-05-2003, 01:17 AM   #9
Inactive

LookingForHealth HB User
I am going to freak out.........each time I have to go I get this flash of 'fever feeling' and slight cramping. The one I had right now ddid not even resemble 'bm.' It looked like a long piece of god knows what?! Like flesh colored, some kind of cr*ap that was not 'cr*p'

What can they do for me at a hospital?

Old 01-05-2003, 02:08 AM   #10
Inactive

LookingForHealth HB User
The one right after the last one was more brown and together-like. Made me feel ill though.

Old 01-05-2003, 03:26 AM   #11
Inactive

LookingForHealth HB User
Oh man it's 330 am............Harry, I took 2 probiotic pills today, it is doing nothing (?)
I have been eating yogurt this week too.

What should I eat? Is there a number you can call at the hospital for free and seek advice?

Old 01-05-2003, 06:32 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Diarrhea is very loose and watery without any form. Taking a fiber supplement like Metamucil ---- is a bulk forming agent.

The best things to eat are things that are easily digested like potatoes, rice, oatmeal, chicken noodle or rice soup, yogurt like Sarah said.

Old 01-05-2003, 10:52 AM   #13
Inactive

LookingForHealth HB User
I know that when I have gastroenteritis which is very brief and I also vomit about 5 times, the diarrhea is disgustingly loose and watery and resembles soup.

The ones I have now are small at most times and either tan or light brown and are accompanied by quick feelings of 'flu feeling.'

Old 01-05-2003, 05:38 PM   #14
Inactive

LookingForHealth HB User
I saved some weird looking stuff and put it in the fridge. Never though Id have to do something so nasty before. It is obvious mucous, brown, clear and also pink in it. How much would it cost to find out whats causing this?

Old 01-06-2003, 11:58 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
Hi there. Make an appointment with your doctor, and ask if he wants the stool sample brought with you. You need to find out what's going on ~ you're obviously very worried, and need some peace of mind. Bowel movements can be all different textures/colors depending on the health of the digestive tract and what foods/liquids you've consumed, but since you seem to be experiencing changes in BM's you should get it checked out by a doctor.

Good luck to you,
Katie G

Closed Thread