It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2003, 12:11 PM   #1
Inactive

Mrs.romano HB User
Question irritable bowel syndrome

what the hell is IBS?
my doc said that i have it and its do to stress..
can any one help me with figuring out what it really is?

------------------
stacy

Old 01-05-2003, 12:44 PM   #2
Inactive

LookingForHealth HB User
look under the I section of healthboards and there are tons of posts/and go to ask.com and type it in

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2003, 01:13 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

IBS stands for Irritable Bowel Syndrome and as the name suggests, is a syndrome rather than a disease. It it very much stress induced by todays lifestyles and can cause you mild to moderate symptoms or severe symptoms.

Symptoms include vague stomachache to severe and crippling stomach pains, normally in your lower stomach, but the pain can be anywhere. You may have diarrhea alternating with constipation or predominantly one or the other.

IBS can also be induced by a bad diet and food intolerances. A lot of IBS suffers also have lactose intolerance and wheat intolerance. You should look at your diet and cut out coffee straight away. This will aggravate your stomach and try to cut out junk food and soda. Also try to reduce your stress levels as much as possible and if your IBS is mostly stress induced, then reducing this will help your stomach a lot.

This is just an overview, but go and do some research and reading up. There is lots of information out there on IBS.

Old 01-06-2003, 10:50 AM   #4
Inactive

MarifromPR HB User
Yeah, well I think I had of that years back, never went to doctor for it but I readed on the web and somewhere I readed fats were not good for this as fatty foods provokes more movements in the colon. Its just what I read, the thing is I did that of reducing the fatty foods in my diet and eventually the problem dissapeared. Now if I know I will be in a stressful situation I make sure I dont eat anything with too much fat before. I agree diet plays a role with this.

Old 01-06-2003, 12:02 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
Hi there. It's important to do a lot of reading on IBS - whether it be on message boards, medical websites or at the library. You can only be well informed if you research it. Those of us with IBS have a variety of symptoms and remedies, but we'd need to know what your primary symptoms are in order to help you. Please review the posts on the IBS website here to give you some additional info.

Good luck to you,
Katie G

Old 01-07-2003, 02:15 PM   #6
Inactive

Mrs.romano HB User
Smile

hey thank u guys so much ..i understand what IBS IS NOW .. THANKS ..

------------------
stacy

Closed Thread