It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2002, 10:41 PM   #1

spanky HB User
Unhappy bad stomach problems

For the past few years, I have had stomach problems. It seems that I have constant diarreah and stomach cramps. I go through weeks that everytime I eat I immediately have to use the bathroom. The pain gets so bad I have to double over to help ease it. There are times when it gets so horrible I just sit and cry. Then I go through weeks where I am just fine. The problem is, it has gotten to the point now where I am afraid to even go out to a restaurant to eat, or to eat in front of anyone other than close friends, because I don't want people to find out. Is there anything I can do? Any suggestions that might make this easier for me? I don't have health insurance and I can't afford to go to a dr., so any home remedies I can try would be wonderful!

Old 12-30-2002, 01:31 AM   #2

spanky HB User
i definately will, and please do the same if you find anything out!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2003, 10:19 PM   #3

LindsayA-Z HB User
I have had the same pains and symptons as you both... yet mine last all the time and dont go away!! I have found eatting slow and eatting bread with your meal helps me a bit. However I would splurge for the money to see a doctor acsue it could be a serious condition. I live in canada and its free to see a doctor but I havent yet casue i am scred of what he is going to say.. I just had a friend diagnosed with cushhins and i ahve 100% of the symptoms.. i would look into it... even if only on the net

Old 01-06-2003, 01:38 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

What you are all describing sounds very much like the symptoms of IBS. This causes severe stomach pains/cramps and diarrhea/constipation that can last several days and then disappear and then come back again, or it can be constant.

These symptoms do not have to mean that you have anything seriously wrong with you, however, IBS is diagnosed on a basis of excluding all other possibilities, i.e. when blood tests and ultrasounds come back negative, then IBS is likely.

To help your symptoms you need to increase your fiber intake. Metamucil is safe and is a water soluble fiber supplement and can be taken twice daily with about 6 to 8 glasses of water. This is as helpful for diarrhea as constipation and will help to bulk up your stools. You gut needs fiber to function properly.

Acidophilus caps taken on an empty stomach twice daily will help restore the balance of good bacteria in your gut, which you lose with constant diarrhea. Once restored, you should find that you have less diarrhea, less bloating and less gas. If you don't want to take caps, then eating live yogurt will help just as much.

If you have diarrhea, you may also find it helpful to take some Calcium supplements. This will help your bowel absorb back more water naturally, thus resolving the diarrhea. You also lose calcium when you have diarrhea.

You may need to take a good look at your diet and alter this. Cut out coffee, as this is very bad for your stomach. Symptoms can also be related to food allergies.

Lastly, are you under a lot of stress at present? IBS is linked to stress and when your stress levels go up, your brain releases certain chemicals that affect your gut function, thus causing your stomach pains and diarrhea, so you need to try and find some method of relaxation to reduce your stress levels, be this Yoga or some other form of exercise that suits you.

Hope some of this will be helpful to you?

Old 01-08-2003, 01:18 AM   #5

spanky HB User
that was very very helpful! I had read a little bit about ibs, because my mom has been having stomach problems recently and they tested her for ibs, and gave her a lot of pamphlets and info on it. I am pretty sure it is what I have, but I wasn't ever sure how to fix it. I recently lost my job, and it has been stressful, so that definately explains why it's been so bad lately. I'll try what you suggested and thank you SO SO much!

Closed Thread