It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2002, 01:05 PM   #1

throbuk HB User
Question I.B.S -Symptom of FIBROMYALGIA ?

HI THERE,
In MAY 2002 I was diagnosed with `chronic fibromyalgia syndrom`,but over the last three months I have also developed what my G.P describes as `iritable bowel syndrome.I am desperate to find out if this is firstly a common condition caused by my Fibromyalgia and secondly if the I.B.S will subside in time with the correct medication.
I have been told that my F.M.S. is incurable but i have not been given any information about the I.B.S .
( thankyou for reading this notice) throbuk.

Old 12-27-2002, 09:55 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
Smile

Hi throbuk. Unfortunately, with FMS, you can have a garden variety of other syndromes too (like IBS) - not just the trigger points/pain and stiffness that are a part of FMS. Your doc's right - there is no cure for FMS, but there are different medications that can help alleviate your most difficult symptoms. Unfortunately, there is no cure for IBS either. I'm speaking from experience - have been diagnosed with both IBS and FMS for 20+ years.

It's important to do a lot of research and reading on both syndromes. Chart what your most aggrevating symptoms are and work with your doctor on trying different methods to learn to live with it. Since I don't know what your primary IBS symptoms are (diarrhea, constipation or combo of both?), I'm not going to go into lots of detail about what I've had to do over the last several years. I live with the pain/stiffness of FMS daily, and with IBS added on, some days are just better than others. You may have to try lots of different remedies to find out what works for you. Everyone's symptoms are unique, but similar.

Keep us posted on your progress. You might want to also post on the Fibromyalgia site here too, to get others' advice.

Good luck to you,
Katie G

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2002, 03:50 PM   #3

throbuk HB User
Thumbs up

hi katie,
thankyou very much for answering my notice , sorry i left out details of my I.B.S (i`m new to this).
i have alternate bouts of constipation & diarrhea ,
severe,sharp cramping pains across my lower stomach & occasional bleeding.
at first my g.p thought it may have been a reaction to medication i am taking for my f.m.s but he ruled this out after testing.would be interesting to look into diet as a way of suppressing the i.b.s.
thankyou again for your reply and te excellent adviceyou gave me, iwill certianly visit the fibro board has there is no support group in my area
take care..... keith.

Old 01-08-2003, 06:09 PM   #4

sleepystar HB User
90% of people i know with FM also have IBS

Old 03-10-2008, 05:58 AM   #5
(female)

olga19 HB User
Re: I.B.S -Symptum of FIBROMYALGIA ?

hi just wanted to chime in here...ibs is definetly tied to pain killers and fibro. been going through this for 10 years... that and fibrofog, headaches, lack of rem sleep--i could go on and on... hang in there and dont foget your fiber, but then again not too much........good luck

Closed Thread