It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2003, 10:20 PM   #1

cassiemae HB User
Unhappy pain and bleeding

For the past couple of years I have had some discomfort and light bleeding when I have a bm so I asked my doctor and he said that it was a tear and told me to take colace and didn't bother examining me.It's been a year now and i still have problems.I was wondering if there was a name for what he called a tear and also if there could be any long term effects since it never seems to go away. Thanks for any advice!

Old 01-09-2003, 06:08 AM   #2
(female)

MLWC HB User
Cassiemae..
Yes, there is a name for the tear...it's called an anal fissure. I have had them for almost 2 years now. At the time, the colorectal doctor gave me some creams and told me to take Metamucil and drink water.
Then he recommended surgery...I was reluctant, and so I never did it.

I still suffer with pain (almost daily) and bleeding (only occassionally). I still take Metamucil, exercise, drink lots of fluids (mostly water) and do yoga for stress management. However, I have good days and bad days. I think that despite my best efforts, my stressful job gets the best of me.

(For example, over the holidays when I was away from work for a few days, my BM's were great! Almost no pain! Two days back at work and I'm bleeding again....it's like torture.)

Aside from surgery, I don't think I have other options. I am not going to become dependent on laxatives or stool softeners..frankly my stool is fairly soft most of the time, I think that the tears were so bad that I still get injured even with the passage of a normal BM.

I don't think there are long term effects (ie, you can't get cancer from it or anything)...for me the only effects are on my psyche.
I just try to do my best to stay healthy...
Best of luck to you...let me know how you're doing!
Hope this helps...
-MLWC

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread