It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2003, 01:20 AM   #1

JMV HB User
Post Some blood on toilet paper.

I have a quick question. I have read a lot and think I know the answer but I will ask anyway. For a long while now, I have noticed that after a bowel movement when I wipe there is usually a little bit of blood on the toilet paper. It is only a little bit, and it is always a light bright red.

From my readings this is indicative of it being most likely a hemmoroid or fissure not too deep inside (blood would most likely be a dark reddish blackish if it were deeper inside say in the colon). Is this correct?

Questions:
1) Do hemmoroids and fissures go away? Do they heal on their own?
2) What exactly are hemmoroids and fissures?
3) I would most likely be referred to a gastroenterologist and have a colonscopy performed correct?

Thank you

Old 01-05-2003, 06:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Lindarella HB User
ANY blood in the stool, either bright red or dark can be colon cancer. I'm not saying that to scare you. Only for information so that you don't neglect going to the doctor. Blood can also be caused by polyps that bleed. Polyps have to be removed as they can progress into colon cancer.

You need to see a doctor ANY time you see blood in your stools. Good luck to you. Get to that doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2003, 06:20 AM   #3
(female)

MLWC HB User
Hi JMV...
To look for a fissure or hemorrhoid, the doctor will use a scope since it's usually close to the end of your colon. I don't think that a colonoscopy is necessary unless he/she doesn't see anything right away that is causing the bleed.

They can sometimes heal on their own..depends on how bad they are. YOu have to take extra fiber probably and drink a lot of water...perhaps the doctor will give you a pain managment cream or stool softener to aid in healing.

Hemorrhoids are bulging veins in the rectal area...sort of like a varicose vein. They are usually due to pressure and straining and they may or may not be painful. Fissures are actual tears in the lining of the rectum/anal area. They are due to trying to pass large, hard stool which overstretches and tears the tissue. They are painful (sometimes unbearably).

I was referred to a colorectal surgeon, but I think you could probably see a gastroenterologist, too. The colorectal guy is more specialized for this area, but a gastro should be able to help as well. Like I said earlier, you may only need an in-office anoscopy for the doctor to see a fissure or a hemorrhoid. Don't get yourself psyched out for a colonoscopy until the doctor says you should have one....

HOpe this helps....
MLWC

Old 01-09-2003, 02:23 PM   #4

lawman1475 HB User
Although Lindarella tried to scare you into giving serious thought that it could be Colon Cancer, do not put much stock into it. There are many things that can cause bleeding, but since you have not reported anything except a little blood on the toilet paper, I would be it was a hemorroid or fissure. If it continues, then I would consider getting it looked at.
The problem is that as you will hear many times is the correlation between gut-mind, which means if you worry about it (I was guilty of this) then you could make it worse. You might also want to try taking some fiber supplements such as Metamucel.
Good Luck

[This message has been edited by lawman1475 (edited 01-09-2003).]

Closed Thread