It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2003, 11:50 PM   #1

lawman1457 HB User
Question Starting a Colon Cleansing Program. Advice appreciated. Thanks extended Please Read

First of I wanted to thank everyone for the advice, compassion, and patience that has been shown to me, Harry imparticular. After hearing all the advice and all the outside reading I have done I have decided to start a colon cleansing program. About 9 months ago I joined weight watchers and since that time I have lost approximately 110 pounds (Give or Take). Before that I had a horrible diet, and am sure the change in diet affected my bowel problems. I am aslo sure the stress did not help all that much neither.
I would appreciate all advice on books, personal programs, and any other advice that you wise people have to offer. I am going to stay on Metamucil during the cleansing program unless anyone has any other advice as to what would be better as far as fiber supplement.
I am thinking about a 75% liquid diet, and the other 25% consisting of raw vegetables and sushi.

Thanks in advance and god bless all of you!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2003, 03:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

Just to add my little bit. There is a very good homepathic cleanse that you can do that consists of 3 remedies. The first is Nux Vomica, which is for your stomach, liver and intestines generally. The second is Berberris, which is for your kidneys and bladder and the third is Lymphosat, which is for your lymph system. You are required to put 10 drops of each remedy into a 500ml bottle of water three times daily, so you would be drinking a litre and a half of water. You need to do this for at least a month, or a minimum of three weeks, during which time, you can eat and drink normally, but you should stick to a healthy diet and try to cut out the junk food, coffe and alcohol.

I tried this last year when I was visiting relatives back in London. I stayed for about a month and whilst there, my stomach was quite bad and I was feeling quite unwell, so I found an American homeopath and naturopath who emigrated to England about 11 years ago to set up in practice with a group of other people in the centre of London. He is a really nice guy and we had fun comparing notes. I think he said that he used to live in Chicago and started med shool over there but dropped out after 2 years to do something more holistic. He then started studying to become an ND and then came over to England and trained as a homeopath over here instead. Think he is a naturopath too though. Anyway, I saw him a couple of times over there and he really helped me with my stomach. This detox really works well and will detox you on a mental and emotional level too as well as a physical one. I passed a lot more urine and unfortunately did have some diarrhea for a few days. However, although the diarrhea was an inconvenience at the time, I had no stomach pain with it and felt well throughout.

Hope this helps and I just like sharing a few of my own way out experiences with all of you?

Take care and I am glad that your stomach is better following starting the Metamucil that Harry recommended. I take it for my stomach too and it has helped me no end.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sarah68 For This Useful Post:
Sush1 (07-28-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2003, 12:45 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Lightbulb

Lawman,

As you already know Colon Cleasing can get rid of colon debris & wastes and treat a number of health problems as well as prevent others!!!

My advice is to take it slow, don't rush ---- the rapid release of toxins as well as antigens & wastes in your systems can be toxic that can lead to serious disorders. Some symptoms that you may have indicating your GI need cleaning is: unexplained fatigue, depression, irritable, mental confusion, some allergic reactions like sneezing, runny nose, hives and even coughing. Also--of course Gastroinstinal irregularities and there may be others???

At your age 27--- don't think you are indestructable. Losing as much weight as you have is a BIG Major accomplishment in itself. AS you know fat cells are a big storeage place for things that your liver, kidneys and entire body had to deal with.

The best way of removing toxins and wastes from your body is a FAST. And, this should be the first step in any Colon Cleansing Program. There are such things as Blood Purification, Fasting and Enamas That you should be throughly familar with before ever beginning the program.

I certainly wish you well---Harry

Old 01-08-2003, 03:00 PM   #4

lawman1457 HB User
Harry,

When you say "FAST", how long of a time period are you talking? Are you refererring to all foods, or solid foods, raw foods, etc?

Also, you said there are such things as Blood Purification, Fasting and Enamas. WHere can I read about these? Do you have any literature you recommend?

To be honest, I am rather naive when it comes to the inner workings of the body. That was not a requirement in college, although I now think it should have been. So, when you said "As you know fat cells are big storage places for..." I do not know what you meant.

Thanks

[This message has been edited by lawman1457 (edited 01-08-2003).]

Old 01-08-2003, 11:43 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
lawman,

Fasting is usually done for 3 days or so with various types of intake --- from just plain distilled water to juices, as well as some simple foods. It's best to prepare for at least a week for a FAST so it's not such a shock to your body.

I am by far no expert--- on colon cleasing my background is Electrical Engineering. I just read alot about how to get and stay healthy. I certainly wish that I started at your age than at 40 when I began having health problems!!!

Since regular medicine does not, promote blood purification, fasting, colon cleasing, detoxing and such, you're going to have get most info from alternative medicine souces. I have been using homeopathy for 25 years. Even took a summer short couse in PA 20 years ago.
In the years that I have been treated my medical doctors---- I have yet to be asked about diet or what I ate??? They go to school to learn how to treat disorders/ illnesses with medicine with very little to do with prevention. And, that's great but just know when to use them.

I have an adequate Homeopathic, Nutritional and Medical libary but there is one book that is worth the price --- "Prescription for Nutritioal Healing"--- It retails for $24 but you can buy it at a discount online $12.

There are several sites worth doing some searching on: ***********, mercola.com, about.com -- here is a link I read today, [url="http://www.gifam.org/npcleansing.htm"]http://www.gifam.org/npcleansing.htm[/url]

I also suggest getting a good medical reference book to help you with the bodily organs and how the body works, along with a medical dictionary. I have found some good medical books for nurses that us mortals can read and understand!!

I don't know where you live but if you have a Barnes and Noble nearby --- go check the medical book section out before buying --- they are expensive. I get my family to give them to me as gifts on special occasions.

Fat cells are made by the liver using fatty acids and glycerol for storage then the process is reversed when the fat cell is lost. The problem is our 4 pound liver does alot of things ---being our detox organ--- some people think fat cells when made contain toxins that are not completely destroyed by the liver because it's not 100% efficient but poisons our bodies to some degree causing problems. We do live in a contaminated world.

God Bless---Harry

[This message has been edited by Harry (edited 01-09-2003).]

The following user gives a hug of support to Harry:
Sush1 (07-28-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to Harry For This Useful Post:
Sush1 (07-28-2011)
Old 01-09-2003, 04:38 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

The liver is such a large organ of elimination that you can get problems with some excess toxins and today's lifestyles do not promote liver health either. Too much alcohol, drugs, fatty and processed foods. This all has to go through the liver, so it is not surprising that people have a lot of problems. A lot of todays's stomach problems such as IBS can be liver related, so a detox will help your liver by taking the pressure off it and you should notice the benefits through the rest of your system.

Harry, I agree about conventional medicine just looking at body systems and if you look at alternative medicine, the liver actually figures very highly in this. Chinese medicine for instance treats Liver Qi Stagnation, which can be the cause of a multitude of problems, including stomach problems such as IBS, PMS and period pains in women. Also headaches and migraines.

Also, if you consult a herbalist, they will more likely than not include a herb for a liver detox in your prescription.

If I were you, I would do the cleanse for between 3-5 days using juices rather than just plain water. These are thought to have more of a cleansing effect on the body, but as Harry said, build up to it slowly and be prepared to feel very tired, possibly have a headache, diarrhea, or a cold. This is just some form of discharge whilst your body detoxes. Be careful about it though and if you feel very unwell in any way that you can't cope with, then do stop.

If you want a good textbook on physiology, then I would recommend Human Anatomy and Physiology by Elaine N Marieb. This is very in depth, but is very understandable at the same time and contains very clear explanations and examples of everything. She is an RN as well as being a PhD and this book has seen me through my training and I still have it now, even though it is getting a little dog eared.

Anyway, good luck and take care.

Old 01-09-2003, 03:14 PM   #7

lawman1475 HB User
Sarah or Harry,

What kind of juices do you recommend? I usually drink V-8, and water daily. Also, as far as simple foods go, would that include fruits and vegetables?

Thanks

Old 01-09-2003, 06:09 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

lawman,

The process is to reduce the input of toxins and increase the output. A just plain water fast can release the toxins too fast and cause some problems. It just gives the body a rest and also the organs.

The juices should be fresh so that they contain enzymes( destroyed at 118ºF) and vitamins (many are also destroyed by heat and processing) minerals and phytochemicals. I read that a tomato contains 10,000 different phytochemicals ---not V-8 juice.

There is a 3 page section on fasting and colon cleasing in that book "Prescription for Nutritional Healing" It explains in enough detail to be very useful.

Simple foods include sauces from fresh fruits like apples, pears and other pulp-fruits. Green juices from wheat grass, barley grass, sprouts, alfalfa & bean----things that are easy to digest.

You could look at the sections in the book at any book store or health food store that sells the book --It's #1 best selling nutritional book!!

Harry

Closed Thread