It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2003, 03:43 AM   #1
Inactive

ashpie HB User
Post taking metamucil-have a question

I switched from citricel to metamucil and my stools have bulked up and are normal size but today they are very dry..am I not drinking enough water w/ the metamucil? should I drink it 2x a day? I've been drinking the metamucil at night and also eating a bowl of allbran-xtra fiber..

Old 01-09-2003, 11:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
You should drink water with Metamucil and you probably need it twice daily. Most people I know take it twice daily. But, some that eat alot of fruits and veggies take it only once. Drink 6 to 8 glasses daily is usually OK.

All bran is made mostly from wheat bran as well as other types of bran and wheat bran is not a water absorbable fiber but you really need both types for your Bowels to function properly. Fiber that does not absorb fluid helps intestinal muscles contract so you have BMs.

Metamucil is made from ground up psyllium seeds so it contains both soluble and insoluble fiber. Metamucil is a fiber supplement not the entire amount of fiber everyone needs daily ---- 20 to 35 grams.

Harry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2003, 07:56 PM   #3

JanettoB HB User
Correction on the prior post. Bran is an insoluble fiber..........it does absorb water.....and lots of it. Just pour some bran in a bowl and pour some milk or water into it and watch what happens in a few minutes!!!! No more liquid to be seen. It is very important to drink plenty of liquid when you have a bowl of all bran.

"There are two types of fiber: soluble and insoluble. Soluble fiber is viscous (or thick) and forms a gel in water. It includes components such as pectins and gums found in beans, some fruits and vegetables, oats, psyllium and barley. Research indicates that soluble fibers help lower blood cholesterol levels and may play a role in regulating the body's use of glucose (a type of sugar)."

"Insoluble fiber does not dissolve in water. Major components of insoluble fiber are cellulose, hemicellulose and lignon. Foods including wheat bran, whole grains and vegetables are some of the best sources of insoluble fiber. Insoluble fiber retains water in the gastrointestinal tract (or GI tract), thus increasing bulk and aiding in waste elimination. Since these different types of fiber serve different functions, it is important to make sure we have enough of both in your daily diet."

Janetto

Closed Thread