It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2003, 05:44 PM   #1

unionguy22 HB User
Post chronic constipation?

Ever since I was a kid I had problems with my bowel movements. Not that I could not go, but when I could it felt like I was passing a baby through my rectum other than..matter. I mean, to the point where I blew blood vessels in my head and then my legs being weak for a few hours from pushing. No joke or exaggeration. When this is happening at a young age while still getting the hang of moving a bowel every day, it could have divesting side affects on my mental and physical health later on.

I was so scared of even making a movement I sometimes could go days of holding it in where to the point where it could not be held back any further.

Now of course, im at the age of 19. Trying to make an effort every day or sometimes every other day to pass a bowel. Sometimes they come out easy as pie but then I have time spans of up to a full week of trying to pass bowels that could leave me soar from trying to pass them.

This week has been my worse with flat out constipation. I have a good reason to believe it is the diet I've been on. Almost a starvation diet and now my digestive system is all gone to hell. I can tell you one thing, I have not consumed much of fiber nor calcium for the passed 2 or 3 weeks. Hardly any sugar either. I now know why they say starvation diets are not good for your health.

Is it my poor dieting and lack of exercise that's make me have so much trouble to pass a bowel movement? Am I just prone to having constipation type bowel movements?It scares me not to even have an urge to go. And of course I know naturally what comes in must go out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2003, 11:12 PM   #2

AmberDoo's HB User
Wink

I have the opposite problem,I am new here,so I am still learning.I can say your diet is everything,that's very important.Sorry for your troubles,good luck,and drink prune juice,and lots of water.

Old 01-09-2003, 03:09 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

This sounds very much diet related and to lack of exercise. Also, you should not be taking calcium supplements if you have constipation problems. This can make constipation worse as it helps your bowel to absorb water back. If you are constipated then try taking some Magnesium instead.

Basically, your GI system needs fiber to function effectively, so you need to start Metamucil. This is a water soluble fiber supplement and is safe to be taken twice daily, but ensure that you drink at least 6-8 glasses of water with it.

You need to include more fiber in your diet and eat more carbs, fresh fruit and veg and you should also be drinking at least 2-3 litres of water daily to flush your system through. Prune juice is very good for constipation also. You also need to develop healthy eating strategies, so that you are not on a starvation diet. This is no good for health at all, can easily make you constipated and more than that, if you don't eat you have no energy to do anything such as exercise. You just have to try and develop sensible strategies. Your GI system was designed to eat food and for fiber and without this it will not function properly.

Take plenty of exercise too. This will increase gut motility and help things through your system easily. I also cannot reiterate enough how important it is to drink enough water. If your body it too dry, then you will get constipated.

If you are desperate, then it would be ok to use a suppository to help stimulate your bowel. The fact that you have no desire to open your bowels probably means that you are backed up inside and the fact that you have been constipated for so long will not resolve overnight unfortunately. You need to be patient. It is also ok to use a stool softener for a little while such as Sodium docusate.

Hope this helps?

Old 01-17-2003, 02:53 PM   #4

nickyd HB User
my 3 year old daughter has been like u since she was a month old....soe times she has 2 go 2 the hospital 2 have her bowels emptied for her by havin a klean-prep

Old 01-17-2003, 05:11 PM   #5
Inactive

Autumn Angel HB User
I am on opaites for my TMJD and though I dont get constipated it is very hard to go like you said and you bust a vein in your head. I asked my Doc about this and told him I dont need something to make me go just something to stop the pain and strain when I do go. And he put me on Docusate Sodium 100mg one capsule 2 x a day. And believe me I am a new person it is a prescription stool softener. Ask your doc about it and give it a try it might help you. Good luck.

------------------
Cheers...Autumn
Female...42
TMJD for 12 years
Carpal Tunnel syndrome
Anxiety/Panic Attacks (cured now I think)
Teen daughters that have had medical problems and I will help and over advice on what areas I am knowledgable in.
Hysterectomy in 2002 due to endometrial bleeding.
Hernia repair in 98.

Old 01-18-2003, 01:30 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

If you are straining to open your bowels, then it probably means that you are constipated and opiate analgesia will make you constipated, that is one of the known side effects.

You actually need to increase your water and fiber intake to help this - Metamucil twice daily. If you treat the cause you have more chance of solving your problems than just by treating the symptoms.

Old 01-21-2003, 10:30 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

Hey Bud, you are not allowed to post e-mail addresses, so just tell us on the board what your wife actually took to help her feel better.

This is a public forum and should be used as such, unless of course you are trying to sell products online?

Closed Thread