It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2003, 01:05 PM   #1

RunnL8 HB User
Question Question about enema...

I have severe constipation with bouts of spastic diarrhea. In the past I used to do a little bit of a warm water enema. It usually helped, but I'd cramp pretty badly. The last one I did, I cramped very bad and figured I'd never do it again. But here I am, desperate again. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I can't stand the cramps, but this constipation is driving me insane! Thanks...

Old 01-19-2003, 02:20 PM   #2
Inactive

Autumn Angel HB User
Ever tried a gentle laxitive with no stimulants in it? Its those that give you the cramps Correctol is good with a stool softener. Or increase your fluid and fiber intake I wouldnt mess with enemas without a docs supervision they can damage you internally. There are suppository laxitives too.

------------------
Cheers...Autumn
Female...42
TMJD...12 years
Anxiety/Panic Attacks (cured I hope)
Total Abdominal Hysterectomy due to endometrial bleeding after miscarriage (2002)
Hernia Repair(1998)
Apendectomy (infected) 1988
21 year old daughter born with Mullerian Aplasia
18 year old daughter bulimia survivor.
If I can help ANYONE with anything from a papercut to a life threatening illness, I will do my best just to be a friend. " A friend is someone who knows all your faults and loves you anyway".

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2003, 02:32 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

You need to increase your fiber intake and I would suggest that you start taking Metamucil twice daily. You also need to increase your water intake, but don't take laxatives, in the end they can produce more problems than they solve.

Rather than using hot water, than can cause cramps, you need to use luke warm water or slightly cold water. Try this and it should cut out the cramps.

Autumn Angel - If you read the post properly you would see that he is not using enemas at all. What he is doing is washing his rectum out with warm water. Warm water is not an enema, but a mini colonic irrigation that just cleans the rectum rather than the whole colon. If you know what you are doing, it is perfectly possible to give yourself an enema of this nature without any harm.

Old 01-19-2003, 04:02 PM   #4

RunnL8 HB User
Talking

Hi and thanks to both of you for offering advice Oh and let me say that I'm a woman, not a fella I should have made that clear, sorry...

About fiber...I have a number of physical problems, food and medicine sensitivities being 2 of them. I cannot increase my fiber via most foods due to the fact that I'm extremely sensitive to most every food you can think of, especially vegetables or fruits. I can eat nothing with oat flour. I can eat no oatmeal, no cold cereals made with bran neither. I mean as far as fiber goes, it's not looking so good for me. I've tried Citrucel, more than once, and it only makes the constipation worse, don't ask me why. And it's not due to a lack of water, I drink tons of water, and in fact water is all I drink. My diet is basically white rice for breakfast and then baked chicken with baked potatoes later. I do eat steak, from time to time. I do eat white bread too. I have low blood sugar, so I do eat cheese from time to time and I know that's not good.

My system is beyond delicate. I drank or should I say tasted some Aloe Vera Juice yesterday and it made me nauseated and I got very gassy. I won't touch it again.

And too, I do use the warm water as an enema. I have an enema bag and will put just a tiny bit of warm water in the bag. I use to do this from time to time but the last time it made me cramp up badly. I feel desperate, but everything fails for me. Maybe I'll soon stumble upon something that will work. Thanks for both of your help
Megan

Old 01-20-2003, 12:56 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

Try using a cold water wash out instead, or let it cool to very luke warm rather than warm or hot. This may cut out the cramps that you are having from it.

Have you tried drinking Chamomile or Peppermint tea? Chamomile is an antiinflammatory and is very good for helping stomach cramps and settling an upset stomach. Peppermint is a good antispasmodic and can help cramps.

Also, the herb slippery elm is good for stopping diarrhea when you get it. Put a tablespoonful into a cup of Chamomile tea and this should help stop diarrhea and stomach pains too.

Have you tried Calcium supplements for your diarrhea or a mixture of Calcium and Magnesium to help with constipation too? This is worth a shot.

How about Acidophilus for the gas?

Old 01-20-2003, 07:20 AM   #6

RunnL8 HB User
Talking

Hi Sarah,

I've often wanted to try the Peppermint tea and the slippery elm, but with my crazy system, I'm skeptical. The aloe vera juice just really reinforced my fear of trying anything else, as far as herbs and teas go anyway. I've been told that the peppermint gives the heartburn, and I have GERD, so I believe the peppermint might not be the best for me.

I'm not sure about the acidophilus. I've tried the yogurt thing and it seemed to only make things worse.

I do thank you for your suggestions though! I just happen to have the most sensitive system ever... Thanks again

Megan

Old 01-20-2003, 03:34 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

I would suggest that you try the Acidophilus. They are capsules, so it is not the same as having to eat the yogurt and you just take the capsules on an empty stomach. If you don't have to eat anything, then it should be ok. It will re-balance the good bacteria in your system and once this is done your system my start to get a little better.

Also, how about the magnesium for the constipation?

Old 01-20-2003, 04:50 PM   #8

RunnL8 HB User
Talking

Hi again Sarah,

I ALMOST bought a bottle of acidophilus today, the chewable kind. The directions said to chew with meals, so I really wanted to try it. But I'm a big ol' chicken and the stuff is basically sort of expensive. I've bought so many things that have only made my symptoms worse, so I am just majorly skeptical. I don't know why my bowel is like this, I mean it's ridiculous really. BUT I may get my nerve up and try it eventually. I just can't believe the aloe juice did what it did to me...so weird.

I'll keep you posted if I get brave and try the acidophilus (actually I have a bottle of the acidophilus, not the chewable kind, in my kitchen cabinet, that I bought a long time ago. Maybe, and if they're not expired yet, but maybe I'll try them again)...who knows with me...

Megan

Old 01-20-2003, 09:54 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Lightbulb

Megan,
Most Acidophilus Caps should be stored in the refrigerator since it is usually destroyed by heat even at room temps.

There are several probiotic brands that claim to not be affected by normal temps and you don't have to keep them cold --- PB-8 and Kyodophilus. Probiotica that is put out by the same people that make Imodium is a tablet that you chew --it can be bought at Wal Mart. It contains L. Reuteri a very good bacteria culture.

I eat a brand of organic yogurt that contains no pestisides, antibiotics and herbicides. It takes 2 live cultures to make all yogurt and Stonyfield Farm brand adds 4 additional active live cultures to their product including L. reuteri --- It is the best I have found. If it's not organic ---you really don't know what kind of things are in the milk used to make the yogurt. With your sensitive system ---it would be wise to read the labels!!!

Iwish you well!!!
God Bless--- Harry

Old 01-21-2003, 09:56 AM   #10

RunnL8 HB User
Talking

Thank you Harry for the great information. I've just gotten to the point where I'm basically afraid to try anything more, BUT I'd really like to try this yogurt you're talking about. I live in a very small town, so I doubt that I can find it here.

I'm so sick today, as I ate a steak last night. I can sometimes eat them with minimal problems, but today has just been yuk.

If I were to try the chewable acidophilus, what would I expect to happen? A decrease in intestinal gas? How do you know that they're doing what they're supposed to do? And how long does it usually take to experience relief? I feel silly asking all these questions... I mean, I have had IBS for over 17 years, so you'd think that I'd know a thing or two about all this, but I need advice here. Oh well, ya never know 'till ya ask...

Thanks again Harry and God bless you too,
Megan

Old 01-21-2003, 10:27 AM   #11
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

I have to say that if you try your chewable Acidophilus that has been sitting the cupboard, then it probably will not do anything at all. You need to purchase the capsules that Harry recommended and keep them in the fridge.

After this, you should notice that things start to improve after about 4 to 5 days. Reduced gas and bloating.

Good luck.

Old 01-21-2003, 10:35 AM   #12

RunnL8 HB User
No, I said the acidophilus in my cabinet was not the chewable kind I almost purchased the chewable kind while I was out and about yesterday. I think my hubby threw the ones in my cabinet away anyway. Oh and with my sensitive system, what takes the average person 2 to 3 weeks to feel the effects of, I will experience them right away, so maybe I'll try and them and see what happens. Anyway, thanks for the advice...

Megan

Old 01-21-2003, 12:57 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Arrow

Megan,

Of all the probiotic types I have tried the only one that I could really tell a difference almost immediately was when I first started taking "Probiotica"--- I was having bloating in the lower abdomen and only after 2 dose the same day I could tell a significant difference.

The other I take and it takes several weeks to really tell a difference.

You have the classical symptomes of IBS. You may also have a yeast infection (candida). When I have it, it makes me extremely sensitive. I have to take Nystatin 3X a day for several weeks before I become less sensitive.And, I don't Have IBS symptomes of C & D.

Harry

Old 01-22-2003, 05:57 AM   #14
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

Please take the Probiotica that Harry recommended and keep them in the fridge and you will get more benefit from these in the long run.

Also, there are more natural ways of clearing yeast infections that taking Nystatin.

Old 01-22-2003, 09:16 AM   #15

RunnL8 HB User
Talking

I think I'll try these. I will keep them in the fridge for sure. I wouldn't try the Nystatin anyway, due to my medicine sensitivities, but I do think yeast is my main problem. I totally crave sugar and do eat alot of it in my white rice. I tried substituting the sugar for honey this morning, but the honey is so sweet, it makes me kind of nauseated. I read yesterday that honey will put back the good bacteria into the bowel. I am at my witts end, but I have to keep trying.

I'll let you know about the probiotica... Do you think it will make me worse before it makes me better? I just wonder since everything else I've tried has done just the opposite of what it's supposed to do.

Thanks again Sarah,
Megan

Closed Thread