It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2003, 04:30 PM   #1

depaul11 HB User
Post Metamucil and Thin stools. Please read

I am hoping you guys can settle something. I have an argument going with someone that if someone had thin stools because of Colon Cancer and began taking Metamucil, the metamucil would not change the size of the stool because an obstruction would be causing the thin stools. If someone had colon cancer and developed thin stools, would taking a fiber supplement magically make the obstruction cease making the stool thin? ALso, I believe that thin stool, and flat stool are the same thing, he says that flat stool is uusally rounded on one side and flat on the other whereas a thin stool is flat on both sides and the size of a ribbon. Who is right on both accords?

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2003, 03:15 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

I have to tell you that if you had an obstruction from cancer of the colon and this is quite a prominent feature, then you are both incorrect, as if obstruction occurs you would not be passing stools at all. You would have severe pains in your belly, an inability to pass gas or stool and would be vomiting, possibly bile and if not this, then faecal fluid.

Also, you would have blood and mucus in your stools and you also can have a feeling of incomplete evacuation of the bowels.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2003, 09:00 AM   #3

depaul11 HB User
Sarah, thanks for the response. Let me modify my question then.. If an partial obstruction such as colon cancer causes thin stools, then would Metamucil cause the thin stools to stop or would you have thinner stools regardless because nothing would cause an improvement? And if I am mistaken, then what causes thin stools in regards to Colon Cancer

[This message has been edited by depaul11 (edited 01-24-2003).]

Closed Thread