It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2003, 11:27 AM   #1

fiber HB User
Post Does increase of fiber produce weight gain..

I feel like I'm fibered out. I drink up to 2 litres of water a day and have gained 5 pounds. I also take Remeron which makes you gain weight. Is there anything to do to NOT gain weight? Water seems to bloat me up a lot.

Old 01-27-2003, 04:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
Yes, reduce intake of starches. Starches will cause a person to retain more fluids.

Eat more green veggies and other veggies but avoid starch veggies and foods made with white flour.

Marie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2003, 05:02 PM   #3

depaul11 HB User
Actually, I have heard the opposite about fiber. It fills you up so you don't feel hungery all the time. It also holds some the calories in from being absorbed. It also speeds food through you system before as many calories are absorbed. Harry is the fiber expert, I would check with him.
When you say fibered out do you mean you take fiber, or not? If not, please disregard this message?

[This message has been edited by depaul11 (edited 01-27-2003).]

Old 01-28-2003, 06:41 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User
What are you doing to increase fiber?

Old 01-28-2003, 09:10 AM   #5

fiber HB User
I start with a herbal fiber pill and take all-bran cereal for breaky with some flax powder on it plus all-bran with psyllium buds and then have whole wheat toast mid morning and then an apple for lunch. I drink about 2 litres of water and more during the day. I have yogurt in the afternoon, but my downfall is cookies and matrimonial squares which I use whole wheat flour for my baking. At night is my worse time when I munch out on baked goods. I know, I should eat fruit, but it takes so much will power. Part of my problem is that the Remeron I take causes weight gain and increased appetite and I am trying to balance everything out. What foods are starch?

Old 01-28-2003, 09:47 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User
Starches are breads, pastas, cereals, legumes, grains, potatoes, corn - some would include starchy veggies like carrots, beets, etc.

Reading through your menu, I was thinking "Boy, I'd sure be depressed if I were eating all the wheat". Then I did a search to see whether Remeron was what I suspected it was . . . yeap. I notice a HUGE difference in my mood when I avoid wheat as much as possible. It takes rethinking your eating, and is a little strange at first, but for me it is well worth it.

Also, I know you were stressing the fiber you were eating, but there also doesn't seem to be much protein there either. That impacts my mood, too. My number one nutrition rule I almost never violate (though I fudge on others), is always to eat at least 15 grams of protein at each meal, three meals a day.

I started increasing my intake of fiber a couple of years ago after surgery on my intestines. I find I do best when I get most of it from vegetables. Too much grain, particularly wheat, is irritating. Now that is just me, but getting so much fiber from sources that are providing "insoluble" fiber and from non-nutritional sources (supplements) leaches some nutrients out of the system that are not being put back.

I wouldn't even worry about the cookies for now. I know how hard that can be to deal with when you have other things going on. How about adding some vegetables? I find some raw ones especially helpful (cucumbers are my favorite). Also, for starters, can some of this wheat stuff be switched to other grains? Maybe oatmeal in the morning? Maybe rye crackers instead of wheat toast? And since you are doing the baking, how about adding at least part another kind of flour? (You cannot usually substitute completely, or most recipes won't work, but usually can go up to about 1/4 another kind of flour, like rice maybe.)

Best wishes.

Old 01-28-2003, 03:39 PM   #7

fiber HB User
I eat a variety of foods and don't have any allergies to anything. I know I need to eat more fresh veggys, but my dinners are well balanced with a variety of foods, it's just that I worry about being constipated so much, becuase it irritates my hemmys, and now that I have that part under control, I don't want it to come back, so I keep thinking I need to eat all this fiber. My sister in law just has one bowl of all bran each morning, but for a lot of use, that is not enough. Some of us need extra fiber such as Metamucil. I prefer the capsules, as they are much handier. It does not take away any nutrients. My health advisor wouldn't give me something that was bad for me. It just helps to regulate me like everyone else. Harry, could you add anything here? Sometimes I feel like others are trying to tell us what we are doing is wrong. Anything that is GOOD for you, is not wrong. It's finding that balance that works and if you, like I, have had bad eating habits for a long time, it will take us some time to adjust. I think tonight I will have a cup of tea and some raw veggies.

Old 01-28-2003, 04:52 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Fiber,
The soluble fibers like potatos, rice, grains like corn and fruits(except the peeling) all are carbs & calories and absorb water and can make you gain weight if you eat too much but the insoluble fibers like cauliflower, wheat bran don't absorb water and have very few calories so do not make you gain weight. Psyllium absorbs water and are a stool forming agent but it does it with fluid.

Generally fiber is not digested or absorbed by the body ----It's the food that has the calories along with the fiber that causes weight not the fiber. Taking a fiber supplement is a healthy thing to do !!!

Harry

Closed Thread