It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2003, 12:55 PM   #1

Morganna HB User
Question Post-hemorrhoidectomy question

Two weeks ago I had a hemorrhoidectomy and I gotta say it was the most painful thing I had felt in my life. My surgeon informed me after the surgery that my hems were circumferential (they went all the way around the inside) and very large. He didn't bother me with an internal exam in his office as he knew it would cause me great discomfort. When he saw what was waiting for him on the operating table he was very suprised at the size of my hems.
That being said my question is that since the surgery and once my bowels started working again I have had some irregularity. Mostly the thing that is puzzling me is the fact that when I get up in the morning I have what I feel is a substantial bowel movement and the blood that is passed with each first morning movement is becoming less and less each day. I feel satisfied with this first movement but then, about an hour later I feel a tremendous amount of throbbing pressure/discomfort on the surgery area and have to go again. This second time I usually only pass a little and then somedays this happens yet a third time. Has anyone who has had this surgery had this same problem? I have been given the green light from my surgeon to stop taking the Colace he had prescribed and go back to using Metemucil. I don't have any trouble passing the stool I just seem to get a little more sore with each one. I am still in a certain amount of discomfort from the surgery but I expect that as it has only been two weeks since, coupled with the fact that these hems were SO large and are not finished healing yet. Anyone who can relate with me on this please let me know, my surgeon doesn't seem too concerned at the time. I would really like to start feeling human again soon. Thanks for your time and response.
Morganna.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2003, 04:43 PM   #2

Susan HB User
I had a hemorrhoidectomy a couple years ago, and I agree with you that it was a really painful experience...and that first real bowel movement afterwards...OMG!

It sounds like you're healing very well. I don't remember having a problem with having multiple BMs a day, but it could just be that your system is out of whack. Did you have general anesthesia? That can really mess you up for a while. Be sure to eat lots of fiber or take a fiber supplement, which sounds like you are, and drink lots of water. I also take a probiotic because I've read that's good for you in many ways.

If you continue to have problems, see your doctor again. But so far it sounds like you're doing very well.

Take care! Susan

Closed Thread