It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2003, 03:03 PM   #1

RunnL8 HB User
Red face New diet...introducing more fiber...belly's about to KILL me...how much longer?

Ok, let me explain...I am trying to add more fiber to my diet, but very gradually due to my overly sensitive tummy. Of course I'm now experiencing the lovely side effects we all get when eating extra fiber...Knowing all this, can someone please offer me suggestions as to how long it could take my belly to get used to the extra fiber? I do this very same thing over and over again, but always end up backing out on the fiber due to the pain and discomfort of the side effects. But I know that if I want to get better, I'll probably need to stick this one out.

I hadn't had a bowel movement in 8 days, but had a regular type move today already, so I know the fiber is helping. But at this very moment, I'm in so much discomfort that I don't want to ever look at a fiber food again... Somebody tell me to stick this out!

Thanks for the moral support...

Megan

Old 01-25-2003, 07:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Megan,

What type of fiber are you taking and how offen??
What are you eating on a typical day's diet w/o fiber?

There are some foods that can cause a sensitive person big gas as well as pain and cramping problems!!!
You know your gastro system can't function w/o fiber but there are many types.

God Bless----Harry

[This message has been edited by Harry (edited 01-25-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2003, 08:55 PM   #3

RunnL8 HB User
Talking

Well it's kinda complicated to tell you the truth. You see, my usual diet is baked chicken, baked potatoe, toast or cornbread. I usually eat this twice to three times a day, every single day. But lately I've just added in like some green beans, only a few at a time, and also I made a honey/banana bread. The banana bread has only egg whites, honey, flour, a tiny bit of banana and a tiny bit of brown sugar. I know this doesn't sound like enough fiber to cause such problems, but for my sensitive tummy it is.

That's about it. Banana's are a problem for me, but I do believe if I can stick it out, I'll be better for it.

Thanks for your help...

Megan

Old 01-25-2003, 09:33 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Arrow

Megan,

Green beans are not a soluble source of fiber and also bananas.
The only fiber that you're eating is the baked potato, ---all meat including chicken has no fiber and alot of people have problems with wheat---Flour. It contains gluten that for some is difficult to digest( wheat protein).

You may be allergic/ sensitive to wheat products -- it can cause bloating as well as cramping pain. I know because I have this problem. Rice and corn are usually OK.

Have you tried to take psyllium as a fiber supplement--- It's a water soluble fiber. But, you have to start off very slow in your case.

I suggest you stop eating things that contain wheat for a few days and see what happens. Glutten is also in oats, barley and rye flour and grains products.

I buy gluten free cereal from a health food store and use Rice Milk.

Harry

[This message has been edited by Harry (edited 01-26-2003).]

Old 01-26-2003, 05:02 PM   #5

RunnL8 HB User
Talking

Hi Harry,

This is all so complicated... Basically I have no choice but to eat white flour, due to the fact that if I cut out anything more from my diet I'm gonna starve. I eat white bread because I cannot tolerate those wheat or whole grain breads. I don't live nearby a health store where I could maybe find something else to substitute for the white bread.

I've tried Citrucel before, but even with an increase in water it still seemed to make the constipation worse.

I've not eaten any green beans today, but I have eaten just a few bites of the banana/honey bread. I also made a treat of rice krispie cereal mixed with a little honey and peanut butter. That stuff made me very sick this evening, really nauseated and belching alot.

So what do you think would be the very most gentle type soluble fiber for me? I cannot in any way tolerate oats or even cereals made with corn or oat flour. Should I quit the green beans and banana bread all together? I'm in pretty bad pain, but I will try and stick all this out if it will eventually help some.

Thanks again for your advice,
Megan

Old 01-27-2003, 04:16 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
Megan, have you been diagnosed by a doctor as to what exactly your problem is. You are not eating very much food to sustain you. Perhapes your digestive tract is irritated due to wheat allergy, if so, please omit all wheat for 6-weeks. Yes, that is right, my daughter was allergic to wheat and it took 6 weeks to get it out of her system. Try rice in your diet, in moderate amount.

I too tried psyllium for extra fiber only to make stools like concrete and had to stop. I also drank plenty of water too.

First, be sure and find out exactly what your problem is and if it is a lack of fiber then start by eating just a little of various foods that are soluble and insoluble.

Old 01-27-2003, 07:53 PM   #7

RunnL8 HB User
Talking

Hi Marie,

Yes, I have severe Irritable Bowel Syndrome. I've had the constipation problem since early childhood. I also have MVPS with Dysautonomia, and I believe that's the main reason my system is so overly sensitive.

I don't know how to give up all wheat, since my diet is limited anyway, if I cut out anything else I'll starve. I do stay away from wheat cereals, wheat breads and stuff like that. But I do eat white flour, so I know that's not good. I did purchase rice flour tonight, but I'm not sure about it at all. Do I use it just like I would plain white flour? Is there any chance of it hurting my belly? I wouldn't think so, since I eat rice every day without problems.

Yeah, I'm just going to keep adding different foods and see what happens. I do wonder what's easiest to digest though...

Thanks for your input
Megan

Old 01-28-2003, 02:41 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

Rice is fine and no, it will not hurt your belly. Rice is very gentle and easy to digest. You could consider eating a little chicken or fish with it too, to get some protein? Fish is very good for a sensitive belly too.

I think that trying the suggestion of cutting out all wheat products for 6 weeks is a very good idea. I did this myself when I was first diagnosed with food intolerances and I still cut it out even now. I am sure I could eat moderate amounts if I really wanted to, but it is just that since doing this, my stomach has been so much better and I have more energy generally that it hardly seems worth it.

Good luck.

Old 01-28-2003, 06:50 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User
Having digestive issues myself, I wanted to add my voice to the chorus recommending that you re-think the wheat. It is quite unbelievable the difference it can make when one cuts it out.

As for starving to death . . . there is very little nutritional value in white flour except for the "enriching", so just take a vitamin to make up for the "enriching".

How about adding some yogurt?

Old 01-28-2003, 08:02 AM   #10

RunnL8 HB User
Talking

Hi and thanks gals,

What I meant by starving to death if I cut out white flour, was that my diet is SO limited as it is, if I cut out white flour, that would mean cutting out the bread that I eat everyday of my life. I eat white bread with most meals, and if I don't eat it I never feel full and I end up eating and eating just to try and fill up. But actually with this new diet I've been trying, I'm not eating too much white bread at all. So maybe this is good. But I am eating alot of white pasta, No Yolks Noodles to be exact. I understand that the pasta may be bad on the tummy too. I can't win here...

BUT lately I've been braving up and adding different foods to my diet. I've been experimenting with different foods, not harsh or spicy foods for sure, just some different things.

I was hoping someone could tell me more about the rice flour and cooking with it. Do you use it just like you would white flour? I'm itching to use it, so maybe someone may have a suggestion.

Oh and Sarah, about fish...I love baked fish for sure but had a terrible reaction to tuna, almost landed me in the hospital, so I am afraid to try the fish now. What do you think? What I mean by reaction was that it caused me to have some of the worst episodes of diarrhea, cramps and spasms. I didn't realize it was the tuna, but when I finally did (after about 3 weeks!) I cut it out and in about 2 weeks I was back to my usual. I've often wanted to try fish, but with the tuna incident I've been hestitant. Sorry to be so much trouble, I'm just totally desperate to find answers.

Thanks,
Megan

Old 01-28-2003, 09:16 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thumbs up

Megan,
Rice flour can be used just like wheat flour ---you can also eat potatos and corn products. You may be able to buy some pasta without wheat. There are cerals that are just made with corn or rice---- like corn flakes, puffed rice and rice cakes etc.

Harry

[This message has been edited by Harry (edited 01-28-2003).]

Old 01-28-2003, 10:13 AM   #12
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

If I were you I would go ahead and try a different sort of fish, as a lot of people can be allergic to tuna without being allergic to other types of fish. I would say that you don't really have a true allergy type reaction, just an intolerance type reaction. A true allergy reaction means that you come out in hives, being an IgE reaction, whilst an intolerance is caused by IgG in your gut, hence the belly pain and diarrhea.

Try a different type of fish from tuna and see.

Old 01-28-2003, 10:31 AM   #13

RunnL8 HB User
Hi Harry, and yes I surely do eat potatoes ('taters as we call them) like crazy. I eat them every day, many times a day, and I truly do love them. Can't do the Cornflakes, however, dunno why but they mess with my tummy...

Sarah, I may get brave and try the fish. I really like fish, so I may give it a chance. The tuna thing was just awful. It lasted for so long and was so severe, it just put the fear in me.

One more thing, if anyone reads this and can help...I was reading that beans are soluble, pinto and navy, not green beans. Anyway, a friend told me to soak the beans over night, then when I cook them the next day, to add a peeled potato to the beans and it would soak up most of the gas from the beans. Don't get me wrong, I'm not about to sit down and eat a bowl of these beans, but I thought of cooking some white/navy beans, doing the potato thing and trying just a bite or so at first to see. They're supposed to be soluble and with the potato taking away alot of the gas, I figure it might be ok. I don't know. I also tried some applesauce yesterday, without incident, so that was good.

Thanks to everyone who has helped me with all of this. It's so greatly appreciated and it's given me hope!

Megan

Old 01-28-2003, 11:57 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
You can make "hotcakes" or what some call "pancakes" or "flapjacks" using rice flour. Make same as using wheat flour but hotcakes will be more grainy texture but good (will not scratch tummy). I made those for our daughter for many years.

Try making biscuits using rice flour, make same as using wheat flour.

Rice flour will not make yeast bread, does not develop gluten which is needed to form the gluten web that traps gasses from fermenting yeast.

Use rice flour to thicken soups, etc.

Use *********** and search for "rice flour recipes".

In case the fish you tried had antibiotics due to being farm raised, try orange roughy. Orange roughy is about the only fish left that is not farm raised. The Atlantic Sockeye Salmon in the spring is wild salmon. Other salmon is farm raised. Just because salmon in the store has the word "Atlantic" does not mean it is wild. Wild fish does not have the antibiotics like farm raised fish. I have not been able to find out which antibiotics are used these days in the tanks of farm raised fish. I am allergic to penecillin and sulfa.

You may wish to try a vegetable soup made from scratch. Well cooked veggies would be soft and not scratch tummy. I use Birdseye Mixed Vegetables frozen, plus canned stewed tomatoes or plain tomatoes, barley, TVP (dried tofu), seasonings to taste and of course water. This is very tasty, nourishing, & soft. You can add potato chunks too as well as a beef soup bone.

Would be a good idea to eat yogurt with live acidophlious to help keep a balance of good bacteria in digestive system. You can also buy acidolphlious with live enzymes in pill form.

I too have IBS and was being very careful about foods I ate to prevent them from scratching the digestive tract. My surgeon told me to eat foods with lots of fiber and forget about being so careful with foods. Took his advice and have less problems now. I was afraid foods would scratch the already irritated digestive system.

If you decide to eat cooked beans, get some "Beano" and take just before eating. Beano helps to eliminate problems from gas from the beans. Purchase this at grocery stores in vitamin section or pharmacy. Beano helps to break down starches in the beans. White beans would be best for a trial run. However, with Beano you will be able to eat all types of beans.

Starch carbohydrates taste good and I love them, however, they are fast absorbed into the bloodstream and then body is left "hungry". Try eating less starches and more of the non-starch veggies plus protein and you will not feel hungry so soon. It is what is called being addicted to starch carbs. I too loved starches and ate many but now that I am diabetic have to omit starches and have found that green veggies and other non-starch veggies plus protein is very satisfying and my sugar level remains very good.

You may benefit from a "Ceilic diet". Use *********** and search for this. I may have misspelled Ceilic.

Marie

Old 01-28-2003, 02:19 PM   #15

RunnL8 HB User
Thumbs up

Hi Marie and THANKS for all this yummy advice! I would LOVE a pancake, it's been soooooo long.

What can I say, you've really given me some great ideas and I can't wait to try them.

Thanks again,
Megan

Closed Thread