It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2003, 07:24 AM   #1
Veteran

ChristinaD HB User
Post How much yogurt should I eat?

I am wondering how much yogurt I should eat and how often for it to be of a benefit to me and my digestive system.
I have been eating a container of yoplait every day to every other day along with flax seeds on raisen bran to try to control this horrible constipation problem I have had for so long. Nothing works. I've tried metamucil and all that. So this is my next thing. I have never tried yogurt and flax seed so I started last Monday and it really helped last week.
Anyone Know?

Christina
June 2002: Had a relapse and tore/ruptured disc again.
Now I'm 14 months into it and the pain is still there.
Can't deal with it anymore so I'm having a discectomy in Sept. Hoping and praying that it takes care of my problems!!

Old 02-04-2003, 08:11 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User
Mass-marketed, national brands like yoplait generally have added stabilizers that lessen the benefit of the live cultures. If you can get a brand like Stonyfield (even though I think that is marketed just about nationally now), Brown Cow, Seven Stars - often found only in health food stores - you might notice more impact.

Generally, I eat about a cup, five days a week. When my systems seems to need it, I eat more (hardly even less). And a couple of times when things have really seemed out of whack, I have eaten up to a quart at a time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2003, 02:00 AM   #3
(female)

Trinket HB User
Is Dannon not as good either? I think Harry told me awhile ago that it was fine.

Old 02-09-2003, 05:57 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Arrow

Trinket,

Dannon contains the 2 cultures it takes to make all yogurt. they only add Lactobacillus acidophilus live active cuture. This is good and I have used the plain type as a starter to make additional yogurt. So, it does contain live active cultures but it does not contain 3 to 6 additional cultures that other brands contain.
And, I eat Dannon if I can't find anything else!!!

Harry

Old 02-10-2003, 07:50 AM   #5
(female)

Trinket HB User
I don't notice any yogurt sold around here in health food stores. I have been just using Dannon. I hope this is enough to make me feel better. I have been having a real bad bout of constipation lately.

[This message has been edited by Trinket (edited 02-10-2003).]

Old 02-10-2003, 09:00 AM   #6
Veteran

ChristinaD HB User
I just read on a website that if the yogurt has the live and active cultures seal on the container than that is a good source of this bacteria. It is an actual trademark kind of symbol thing. If the product has 100 million or more active cultures per gram than it will carry this symbol.
I know yoplait has it because that is what I eat.
June 2002: Had a relapse and tore/ruptured disc again.
Now I'm 14 months into it and the pain is still there.
Can't deal with it anymore so I'm having a discectomy in Sept. Hoping and praying that it takes care of my problems!!

Closed Thread