It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2003, 04:42 PM   #1

barbclem HB User
Post Loose bowels

My name is Barbara Clements and I have severe Cerebral Palsy. I'm 54 years old and my mother is 78 years old and my soul caregiver. Last November the doctor gave me sulfer for an UTI. Well, the sulfer broke me out in hives which I still get.

In mid January Mom and I came down with the flu and my bowels have been loose ever since. If I take something for my bowels, I get hives. I have been to my doctor and a hive doctor, and they are both puzzle at what to do. So here I am looking for answers.

Thanks

Posting personal email addresses is not allowed as per guidelines on healthboards---moderator4

[This message has been edited by moderator4 (edited 02-11-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2003, 10:56 PM   #2
Inactive

mlgable HB User
Has the doctor tested you for c-diff? What about bacterial gastroenteritis? All of these things could be causing your loose stools but the doc needs to test for these if he hasn't done so. As for the hives from sulfa drugs............that was an allergic reaction to sulfa which means you should not take any drugs that contain sulfa. As for being sensitive to the antidiarrheal medications that I am not sure except that your system seems to be sensitive to this. Is this allergy to prescription antidiarrheals or just over the counter ones. Either way you need to go back to the doc and have your stools tested and it probably wouldn't hurt to see the allergist for complete allergy testing if this hasn't already been done. In the mean time be sure to eat plenty of yogurt with live active cultures or take accidophillus capsules to help keep you stomach bacteria in check.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2003, 10:36 AM   #3

barbclem HB User
Catching the stool is tricky because it is loose or keep rolling off the paper, but we will keep trying. The doctor hasn't given me an prescription for antidiarrhea.
Citrucel, Benefiber, and the wafers seem to break me out. The doctor also said not to drink buttermilk.

Thanks.

Barb

Old 02-12-2003, 08:40 AM   #4
Inactive

mlgable HB User
Ask your clinic for a speci pan or urine collection hat. These things look like a hat when turned upside down but when right side up they are a bowl with a rim or edge that helps it sit on the toilet under the seat. To collect a stool sample you place it on the back of the toilet rim and then put the seat down. For a urine sample you would put it on the front of toilet. This makes it very easy to catch a sample.

Old 02-12-2003, 04:34 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

Try using Metamucil instead.

Closed Thread