It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2003, 10:24 AM   #1

sleepystar HB User
Post colitis

hiya, i told mum about my green musucs that i posted about yesterday and she started talking about her sympotoms she had for an ulserated colitis(sp??) and it sounds like the match a little, but i don't get diareah (i am always consitipated), but when i wee i often get a brown smelly musuc and tiny tiny BMs. also sometimes have blood, could this be colitis do you think?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2003, 04:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

Green stool with mucus would indicate that you have a stomach infection. You need to go and see your doc and get a stool sample tested. Have you been taking antibiotics recently? If so, green stools can indicate a C.Diff infection due to the antibiotics.

Anything with itis on the end of it means inflammation, so colitis means inflammation of the colon and inflammation by definition will cause diarrhea rather than constipation. I have never heard of anyone with ulcerative colitis who does not suffer from severe episodes of diarrhea during a flare up. Due to the inflammation this diarrhea normally has blood in it. Ulcerative colitis is thought to be an auto-immune disease, where the body starts to attack itself and this causes inflammation and ulcers in the colon. Most people have their condition controlled with steroid medication to control the inflammation, antibiotics for the infection and sometimes immunosuppressive therapy to reduce the immune response of the body. In severe cases though, a colectomy is the only option and a person will have to live with an ileostomy for the rest of their lives.

From what you have said, it does not sound as if you have ulcerative colitis. I would check out the infection possibility first and try and sort your constipation out. If you did have UC you would most definitely be having diarrhea. Little round and hard stool indicates constipation big time that you need to deal with.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2003, 06:13 AM   #3
(female)

Moxie HB User
Sarah,

I'm new here and must strongly disagree with your statement "if you have UC you most definitely would have diarrhea." I have UC and have never had diarrhea--my disease is distal, and distal colitis often presents with constipation vs. diarrhea.

Closed Thread