It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2003, 03:41 PM   #1
Inactive

CindyA HB User
Angry Water Doesn't Seem to Help

I drink a lot of water--on average 2-3 litres per day. I also exercise regularly (though that habit is only a few months old). I eat decently--though not as fresh fruits and veggies as I should, even though I love them. I try to eat nuts and always pay attention to labels--always looking for more fiber. I take only one prescription--Valtrex. I do drink tea, I don't drink coffe, I don't smoke and I rarely drink alcohol.

The problem? Chronic constipation. I'm sick of it. Sometimes things seem "normal", but to me, that is one bm every 1 1/2 - 2 or 3 days. 70% of the time, it is more like one per 3 to 5 days.

The questions. What in the world is going on and, short of becoming a coffee addict (I hear they have the most regular systems), what else am I supposed to be doing that will naturally get my body acting the way it is supposed to act?

I am scared to death to take fiber supplements (Metamucil) because I fear my body becoming addicted to the help and not relying on itself anymore.

Will you please shed any light you may have on this "situation". Thanks a lot.

Old 01-31-2003, 06:15 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User
The addiction concern is more about stimulant laxatives than fiber supplements, but I know what you mean. I like to get fiber from food as much as possible.

Well, you are saying it yourself . . . maybe try to up the veggies and fruits. Water won't do much if there is nothing to push through the system. Most fresh fruits go through the system very well. I find it helpful to have some veggies raw (I think it is something about the water content being taken in with the fiber, and I find cucumbers are particularly good).

A serving of yogurt on a regular basis also might help.

I've never heard that about coffee addict, but I know plenty of people who are regular without all that caffeine!

Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2003, 06:48 AM   #3
Inactive

mlgable HB User
Please remember that constipation refers more to the consistency of your stools and not always to how often you go. If your stools are not hard and dry then that is generally not considered constipation. To keep your system regular though you need to add a fiber product such as metamucil as well as adding more fruits and veggies to your diet. How about adding raisins or dried prunes or dried fruits of all sorts to your between meal snacks for any easy way to help out?

Old 01-31-2003, 06:51 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

Basically, fiber, Metamucil is natural and your gut needs fiber in order to function, so you won't become addicted.

Laxatives are stimulants and are addictive and can make your bowel become very lax, so that in the end you may be unable to have a bowel movement without them. Fiber however, is essential so I would go ahead and take some Metamucil for a while until you can get enough from your food.

Adding in more fruit and veg and also prune juice maybe beneficial.

Old 01-31-2003, 10:57 AM   #5
Inactive

CindyA HB User
Okay, you have all helped alleviate my fears tremendously. Each one of you had valuable suggestions and I will get more on the ball with the fruits and veggies. Is there a metamucil that doesn't have to be stirred in a drink? (I almost gag just thinking about it http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dizzy.gif) Thanks.

Old 01-31-2003, 11:33 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

You can buy fiber in wafer or tablets, not just the drink mix.

Old 01-31-2003, 12:30 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Lightbulb

You can buy psyllium put out by Metamucil or at most health food stores in capsule form.

Cindy your system is additive to Fiber--It don't work unless you intake between 20 to 35 grams daily-- everybody is difference that is why there is such a wide range.

God Bless---Harry

Old 01-31-2003, 04:12 PM   #8

fiber HB User
I find for me, on top of taking a herbal fiber capsule, I make sure I am still taking All-Bran. It really seems to help bulk up the stool. As I'm eating my cereal, I have to constantly add milk, as the cereal kind of "grows"! Think what it does in your system! I tried cutting out the All-Bran and just taking the fiber pill, but it appears I need the cereal too. I find the fiber pill is more "convenient" than stirring the powder into a drink. Get used to taking at least 2 litres of water per day. I pour my daily 2 litres into a jug in the fridge, and then I don't have to count the glasses of water I need every day. you get used to it.

Old 01-31-2003, 05:05 PM   #9

JanettoB HB User
I agree with what "fiber" posted above. I go up one notch. I eat all-bran xtra fiber. Tastes like carboard, but it will add bulk and give you something to pass. Try drinking a glass of water or juice after you finish eating the cereal to make sure that you have enough liquid to expand what you just ate. JanettoB

Old 02-02-2003, 03:05 PM   #10

Lily0727 HB User
Gosh, after reading all of this, isn't there any good tasting fiber? Also, my question is, is it normal to still have kind of a hard stool after drinking about 24 oz of water? I thought that water was suppose to soften the stool. I try to eat cereal in the morning (puffed rice or oatmeal almond cold cereal)and I do get a banana, or a can of black eye peas or SOMETHING healthy in a day but I still have the somewhat hard stools! Anyone ever had a fisure? I was told that I have that and it hurt/itches sometimes! If anyone has it, what do you do to feel lees pain and stop the bleeding? I don't always bleed, but when I have hard stools, then I sometimes do. Thanks everyone!!!!

Old 02-03-2003, 06:36 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by Lily0727:
Gosh, after reading all of this, isn't there any good tasting fiber?
It's a bit of an adjustment, but it is not THAT difficult to get one's fiber from veggies and fruits. And I did not grow up eating a lot of them, it was a MAJOR change in my eating habits when I started adding them (though I was VERY motivated after bowel surgery for diverticulosis).

And I don't eat much grain (mostly oatmeal and some rye crackers now and then) because I find too much irritating.

Old 02-03-2003, 02:03 PM   #12

GRNIFOX HB User
I TOO DRINK LOTS OF WATER AND TAKE FIBER SUPPLEMENTS BUT STILL HAVE B/M EVERY 3-5 DAYS. THE BLOATING AND PAIN ATTRIBUTED WITH NOT HAVING B/M MORE FREQUENTLY IS PAINFUL TO SAY THE LEAST AND ALTHOUGH I HAVEN'T BEEN OFFICIALLY DIAGNOSED WITH IBS, MY DOCTOR ISN'T SURE. AFTER A BATTERY OF TESTS, STILL INCONCLUSIVE BUT THE PROBABILITY IS MORE THAN LIKELY. MY HUSBAND HAS A B/M DAILY WHILE I CANNOT. WHAT CAN I DO TO RELIVE THE CONSTANT BLOATING AND FEELING OF BEING GROSSLY FAT.

Old 02-04-2003, 06:43 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User
GRNIFOX,

How much fiber do you get from food, without the supplement?

Old 02-04-2003, 07:41 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

suej1946 HB User
I have just the opposite of you all. Diah/ which is very uncomfortable also. Just about every medication I take as diah as a side effect. I just started taking metumucil. it comes in capsules now. I heard it will help the diah but Im wondering because I always heard it did the opposite. anyone have diah just about every day..... need some help here.
thanks

Old 02-05-2003, 06:53 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

suej1946 HB User
For Cindy, Hi cindy. Metamucil just came out with a capsule. I have just the opposite problem, cronic diah. I started taking 2 capsuls of metamucil a day, just 2 days ago and it has really helped me. all it will do it help you get regular. Its worth a try. I dont really eat vegies or fruit a lot so I guess I was lacking the fiber. try the metamucil and you should notice a difference in a couple of days.
good luck.

Closed Thread