It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2003, 07:33 AM   #1

lilbitty55 HB User
Thumbs down Help me please

Hi all,

Yesterday morning when I got up, I started vomitting. I stayed in the bed all day and drank lots of fluids but couldn't bring myself to eat anything. I vomitted about 8 times yesterday and had a temperature of 101.3°. This morning I have diarreha (sp) and a fever of 100.2° I am so weak, I called in sick at work today.

My question to you all is...do you think this "whatever" has run its toll or should I see a doctor. I realy feel like crap today, but I feel much better than I did yesteday.

I appreciate your thoughts and thank you in advance.

lilbit

Old 02-11-2003, 08:33 AM   #2
Inactive

mlgable HB User
Sounds to me like you caught the flu and there isn't much you can do except to ride it out. Drink plenty of clear liquids and stick to things like broth and jello until you feel you are able to take something more solid like soda crackers or toast. Advance you diet slowly as you start to feel better. If you symptoms worsen or don't go away in a day or two then maybe a call to the docs office is warranted but other wise just rest and get plenty of fluids.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2003, 11:16 AM   #3

lilbitty55 HB User
Hi Migable,

I really appreciate your quick response. I agree that it could be the flu, but if I had the flu shot in early November would this be possible? I forgot to mention that right before the vomitting began. I had a horrible headache. I almost thought that it was a bad migraine. My mom broght me some soup for lunch and so far i"ve been able to keep it down and in (if ya know what I mean, hehe) so I am feeling a little stronger.

I sincerely appreciate your help and will keep you posted.....thanks again!!

Lilbit

Old 02-12-2003, 07:43 AM   #4
Inactive

mlgable HB User
A flu shot does not mean you will not get the flu it mearly helps so that if you do get the flu you hopefully won't get it as severe or for as long as an unvaccinated person might have it. I am surprised that the person giving you the flu shot didn't point this out.

Old 02-12-2003, 08:39 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
Smile

I agree - sounds like a flu virus. However, you have to understand that the flu shot you received is for the upper respiratory version of the flu called influenza. The type of "flu" you have is not what you were vaccinated for.

Unfortunately, the type of intestinal bug you've got is about 48-72 hours in duration, and you just have to ride it out. There is no vacine for intestinal viruses. My son & I both had it - I didn't have the vomiting, just the fever, diarrhea, and body aches. It's been going all over here in central Michigan.

Good luck & hope you feel better soon,
Katie G

Old 02-16-2003, 02:52 PM   #6

lilbitty55 HB User
HI Migable and Katie,

I can't believe how totally ignorant I was. I thought the flu shot was a "total fix". I had no idea it was just for the respiratory flu...I swanee, I learn something new on the web everyday...lol!! Anyway, I'm feeling much better now. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your help!!

Lilbit

Old 02-19-2003, 07:35 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

A flu shot is meant to give you protection against true flu, which is the aching muscles, fever, cough, sore throat and sneezing.

What you have is a stomach upset/virus and a flu shot will not protect you against this.

Also, even if you have a flu shot you are not guaranteed that you will not get flu. It is a live vaccine and stimulates your immune system to react, so you can still get flu and sometimes just as bad as others who have not been vaccinated.

Can I ask how old you are? It is just that in a young healthy adult there is really no need to have a flu shot. You immune system should be strong enough to cope and if you want to increase your immunity you can increase you Vitamin C intake for a bit. This stimulates the immune system and also some research has just taken place to say that Milk Thistle stimulates the immune system too. Milk Thistle is used to help liver regeneration and it has been shown that it also causes lymphocyte proliferation, it stimulates your body to create more white blood cells, this raising immunity.

Hope this helps?

Closed Thread