It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2002, 10:39 AM   #1
Inactive

groundhog HB User
Red face Upper right abdomenal pain ...

I have had pain episodes starting in my upper right abdomen off and on for about 2 years now. The doctors seem to be running in circles. I'm taking aciphex and bella donna and diazepam. The attacks seem to last 6 weeks or so. They also seem to be getting worse. The pills seem to keep it down... but just. During the worst of the attacks, it's hard to move, at it's best the pain is very low but I can always feel like something is there.
Now, the symptoms seem to be expanding. Queasy at attack peak. I no longer have an appetite. I did have a few very light color(cream/tan) and now generally lighter color stools than previously. The discomfort is expanding to mid-stomach area and tenderness on lower right side. Gas bubbling day and night. Never had gas before (or any other health prob).
Had x-ray, endoscopy, NM Hepatobilary(radiation-liver-gallblader test), blood work, stool work, sonogram. But some of these tests were done like a year ago. My Eosinophils were high at 9% (normal 0-7%). A second test recently has confirmed this again.
Does this look familiar to anyone? Thanks for reading this.
groundhog

Last edited by HBMod07; 06-08-2006 at 08:36 AM.

Old 12-31-2002, 04:02 PM   #2

TimmyT HB User
About a month ago, I woke with an odd feeling in my left lower abdomen. Felt like a hard nosed stool was pressing on my insides toward the front. But when I pressed on it, there was nothing there. Within a day I was constipated and that hard nose stool feeling would move around a bit, a few inches up, down or to the left side. Then I started getting all these little but many sharp shooting pains all through my abdomen and stomach. Not really painful, but you knew they were there. Lots of gurgline and stuff, but no stools unless I took stimulant laxitives and then I'd have runny watery stools. The few solid stools I had were pencil thin and small/short.

This went on for about a month. No blood, no fatigue and no weight loss, but serious constipation. This past Saturday I had a regular bowel movement and since then everything has returned to normal. No pain or odd feelings, regular size and consistency sized stools.

I have no idea what it was or why it went away just as quickly as it had originally come upon me. But I'm glad it's gone and hope it stays away. I feel great after feeling like something very bad was wrong for about a month.

I am going to change my diet. I started looking at my past diet and I saw one that was heavy on meats and dairy stuff with almost no fiber. I'm eating more fruits and vegtables now and drinking real fruit juices instead of soft drinks. Can't hurt.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2002, 07:56 PM   #3

sugarfreeless HB User
Groundhog,

What about ibs (irritable bowel syndrome)? Does the dr. say anything about it?

Old 12-31-2002, 09:14 PM   #4
Inactive

groundhog HB User
Timmy, your pains sound like gas pains. I have been getting them frequently with my problems. If the gas is blocked from comming out, it fills up your bowels and you get lots of little pains. They can move around.
groundhog
ps. I'm not a doc, but that's my 2 cents.

Sugarfreeless,
My doc has mentioned IBS, but said that too many people get pushed into that category when they may not belong. But, it might be what I have. I think he said I only have a few of the key symptoms though.
groundhog

Thanks for responding.

Old 01-02-2003, 06:51 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
Smile

Hi groundhog. So sorry to hear of your suffering. Even though your tests may have seemed "normal", your symptoms sound very much like gall bladder disease. Speaking from my own personal experience, I went for a year with SEVERE attacks of pain in the upper right quadrant, nausea, loss of appetite, and weight loss. Even though my gall bladder ultrasound was normal, as well as 2 hidascans (even though I had an "attack" of the usual pain during the procedure), and my doc was convinced it was my gall bladder, he had to send me for a second opinion until my insurance would agree to gall bladder removal. Turns out that although I didn't have gall stones, my GB was severely inflamed and covered in scar tissue (the doc told me this correlated with the severe pain "attacks" I'd been having). My surgery was in '97. The pain, nausea, etc. was GONE after surgery. The surgery recovery itself was no big deal - some post-op pain/discomfort as expected, but I was back to work in a week. I suffered from chronic diarrhea since the surgery, but this has since been corrected with medication.

Hang in there - it sure sounds like your gall bladder, and your doc should continue to run tests to try and prove it. If not, a second opinion might help.

Good luck to you & keep us posted,
Katie G

Old 01-02-2003, 02:27 PM   #6
Inactive

groundhog HB User
Smile

Hi Katie G,
Did you have trouble eating fatty foods or other kinds of foods when this was going on?
groundhog

Old 01-06-2003, 11:52 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
Smile

Hi again groundhog. In answer to your question, for about the first 6 months of my "attacks", I would have vague nausea that would come and go, but yes, fatty/greasy foods did seem to aggrevate. However, as time went on, it didn't matter what I ate/drank, I was in agony. I could usually only eat a few bites of a meal, before I was sick to my stomach, or in severe pain. Even bland foods like chicken, oatmeal, or mashed potatoes could set me off. But early on, just fatty/greasy or spicy foods seem to aggrevate the most.

Good luck to you,
Katie G

Old 01-10-2003, 10:26 PM   #8

tete88 HB User
Question

My daughter is having similar problems did your doctor
check you for your pendix? cause you could have what they call a reaccurring apenndix flare up's. They would proable need to do a ct and a white blood count.are you vomitting at all during these attackes?

Old 01-11-2003, 03:09 AM   #9
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

If you have flare-ups of appendicitis pain, the pain would not be in the stomach area under the ribs. Pain from appendicitis starts around your belly button and will then move to the lower right hand side of your belly and is constant. If you have an inflammation, the pain is constant and severe. If you press on your belly and then remove your hand, you belly will be extremely painful. This kind of pain is not normally affected by what you eat at all and if you had this you would also have fever and vomiting, not normally diarrhea.

The other two posters are talking about predominantly gallbladder problems, which will cause alterations in stool and upper right or left quadrant pain - stomach under the ribs - and is affected by eating fatty food.

If your daughter is having lower right sided belly pain, has a fever and is vomiting, then she probably needs to have her appendics removed.

Old 01-11-2003, 10:15 AM   #10
Inactive

isolated one HB User
I can say from experience that a appendecicis can be difficult to identify and mistaken for something else. About a year and a half ago, I started to get a slight dull pain around my belly button. It didn't really bother me other than that I was simply aware of it. As the day went on, the feeling moved up, closer to my chest area. By the early evening, this odd pain was moving all around my abdominal area and then alternating from left to right. I didn't have any nausea but my stomach just didn't "feel right". I still had a good appetite and ate dinner as usual. After that, I knew something just wasn't right and thought it was probably just indigestion, which I never have. To be on the safe side, I went to the emergency room. The doctor examined me and ruled out that it was my appendix. They were attempting to send me home but I KNEW it was something serious and I had to beg for more tests. I started to run a fever and the pain got worse. Finally, they had me swallow four glasses of some liquid and then gave me a ct scan. Sure enough, I ended up having my appendix taken out! So I didn't have any of the "classic" symptoms but I would have made a big mistake by not having myself checked out.

Old 02-22-2003, 12:38 PM   #11
Inactive

groundhog HB User
I am taking a moment to update my original post in the chance that it may help.

I have had edocopy, CT scan of pancreas, small bowel series x-rays, and blood work (they didn't do a hepatitis test). They found nothing. As I've found, this happens to many people. I think doctors and their "science" are much less developed than the impression you get.

Anyway, I later went to my free, state clinic to get hepatitis B and C tests. They weren't anonymous tests so I gave a fake name and address. The tests both came out negative.

Bottom line is that at this time I don't know what I have. I guess I will have to let it get worse enough that the doctors can measure something... Maybe if an organ actually comes out in the toilet I can take it to them.

Old 06-06-2006, 10:23 PM   #12
(female)

Peace711 HB User
Angry Re: Upper right quadrant pain ... HELP !

Katie G - 1st time on site because i'm so frustrated and the pain is so intense that i'm trying to keep busy BUT reading your post was like reading about myself ! still in lots of pain, all tests taken recently were normal (gall bladder was suspected...i still think thats what it is !) i do have a hiatal hernia that was found years ago , that has not given me any problems (that i know of ) and because the tests are normal the drs. are looking into that now ! I don't have the pain all the time, but when i get it - OMG !!! I've been told about the insurance issue also ! This ordeal has been going on for over a year - twice i was hospitalized and although the tests were normal , surgery to remove the gall bladder was scheduled and both times cancelled because of a gastric infection ! The only symtom that i don't have like yours, is loss of weight (i wish...) but i'm sure my hypothyroid is the culprit there ! When my last hida scan was done - I had an episode - how frustrating ! It seemed at first just certain foods etc...pepperoni - ugh ! Now it doesn't seem to matter what i eat or drink WHEN i have an appetite ! My right breast and right armpit areas gets a numbness/tingling feeling also and when real bad (like right now...) it radiates to my upper back as well ! I've even had right shoulder pain too ! My friend said to eat some peanuts and that is a sure tell sign of gallbladder - well i ate a handful today (might as well - going to hurt regardless...) and OMG !!! can't believe how bad i feel - and they were so yummy and probably the first ones i've eaten in ??? have had numerous hida scans, ultrasounds etc...and blood work has ruled out hepatitis etc... Don't know what else to do ! (ps: spent 10 years in the medical field - so i have some insight !) THANKS for letting me vent ! Peace711

Last edited by Peace711; 06-06-2006 at 10:28 PM. Reason: just reviewing...

Closed Thread