It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2003, 10:54 PM   #1
(female)

Trinket HB User
Post What is the difference between soluble and insoluble fiber

I am on a diet and I just started eating Fiber One cereal a few days ago. Before buying this cereal, I was trying to get at least 20 grams of fiber a day in other ways. I feel full most of the day which is good for a diet(well except that I don't feel like eating much and it makes me eat too little calories I have noticed!) but I have been noticing I have been very constipated lately even before eating the fiber one. Does insoluble fiber help with constipation and weight loss?? OR should I be using soluble fiber? What are the differences between the two? I haven't been able to get a bowel movement in almost a week now. I am getting worried.

Old 02-06-2003, 08:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Arrow

Soluble fiber is exactly what the word means. It is dissolved in fluid and insoluble does not.

Potatos, rice, beans, corn, oatmeal and oat bran absorb as well as psyllium seed husk absorb water are bulk forming fibers---also most fruit but not the peeling.

Nuts, wheat bran, green beans, bananas and others do not absorb or dissolve in water.

We need both types for our intestines to work.

Harry

[This message has been edited by Harry (edited 02-14-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2003, 09:18 AM   #3

feelbetter HB User
Thanks for posting this question. I too have been wondering which is better. I am constipated and have been prescribed stool softeners but I do eat a lot of fiber but was wondering which might help. I drink plenty of water and will try to get more insoluble fiber while still keeping up on soluble. Thanks again!

Old 02-10-2003, 07:47 AM   #4
(female)

Trinket HB User
I am sick to my stomach now and it is because I can not go to the bathroom. I have been taking fiber one for two weeks now. Should I stop taking fiber for awhile?

Old 02-10-2003, 09:50 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Trinket,

I am not familar with Fiber One ---what does it say on the container or what kind of fiber is it and how often should you take it???

Harry

Old 02-11-2003, 10:59 AM   #6
(female)

Trinket HB User
it is a cereal with 14grams of fat per 1/2 cup, I have about one half cup a day- once I had a full cup. IT is insoluable bran fiber.

Old 02-13-2003, 02:34 PM   #7
(female)

Trinket HB User
Well I stopped taking fiber supplements and now am almost back to normal. But I thought taking fiber was supposed to be good for you. What should I do?

Old 02-14-2003, 07:21 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Arrow

Trinket,
I think you should take a water soluble fiber supplement like Metamucil or Equate from Wal Mart-- it contains both soluble and insoluble fiber. Just eat regular food not a bran cereal that is almost totally insoluble fiber.

I have never tried to figure out how much fiber I'm intaking --- I just eat regular meals and take psyllium twice daily mixed with water. If I get slightly constipated --I eat prunes about 5 daily but that happens very--very rearly.

I don't think this is rocket science it's just intaking enough food and the fiber in your system. Your bowels cannot work without fiber and water. And, you need nutrients to live.

God Bless---Harry

Old 02-23-2003, 04:57 PM   #9
(female)

Trinket HB User
Question

Thanks Harry. I bought the equate version of metamucil- so you take a "rounded" teaspoon in an 8oz glass of water 2 times daily and thats enough?

Closed Thread