It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2003, 06:25 AM   #1

ginli HB User
Post Belladonna??

Does anyone use belladonna pellets that can be bought at the health food store for spastic colon>? does it help? any other natural remedies for this condition? thankyou

Old 02-10-2003, 07:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Thumbs up

I have used Belladonna in a liguid form for spastic colon. I took 10 drops to 4 ounces of water and it worked very well.

I think it's a old time remedy that was used before modern medicine. Sometime the older remidies work better than the newer medication (less side-effects).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2003, 02:51 PM   #3

ginli HB User
Thanks, Harry! I've been using the pellets and it seems to help. I thought it may be my imagination, though, but you just confirmed it for me. Thanks again

Old 02-10-2003, 09:50 PM   #4
Inactive

mlgable HB User
Tincture of belladonna and belladonna tablets are still used but just not as often as they used to be. We have nursing home patient who was recently put on belladonna for Gallbladder problems as she was not a good surgical candidate at the time her gallbladder disease flared up.

Old 02-12-2003, 03:31 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

Another good remedy for the cramps and spasm type pain that you get with IBS and especially if you have constipation is homepathic Nux Vomica. It is a spasmodic type of remedy and also has a liver affinity, which can also be involved in IBS symptoms, which is why so many liver remedies such as Milk Thistle are beneficial in stomach and bowel problems because the liver can get backed up with toxins.

Also, be careful with the Belladonna drops, unless you are taking a homeopathic Mother Tincture? Anything else actually has active ingredients and can be harmful if you take too much.

Old 02-13-2003, 02:45 AM   #6

ginli HB User
sarah, how about belladonna pellets the homeopathic type?? thanks

Old 02-13-2003, 05:56 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

Firstly, they are not called pellets, but are either tablets, large soft tablets, pillules, tinctures or powders.

Yes, Belladonna tablets that have been potentised (homeopathic) are safe to take in a low potency on a daily basis. It has to be a low potency such as a 3 or 6c, as by taking it this way, it has a specific target area of the body and has a more physical effect. If you take a higher potency on a daily basis, then you are at risk of proving the remedy. This means that you will eventually elicit the symptom picture of the remedy.

Having said that, if you take a low dose as needed or once or twice daily, then you should be ok.

You can also try the Nux Vomica that I also suggested.

I would just like to point out one more thing. Symptom control is ok with homeopathy, but it is not really how it was designed to be used. It was designed to be used by treating the whole person and taking all symptoms into account and then prescribing what is called a Constitutional or Totality remedy. This means taking into account mental/emotional, general and physical symptoms together.

If you do this and you are given one remedy, then you have more chance of recovery. Doing it the other way, using either the Belladonna or Nux Vomica for symptomatic relief, then you could be taking this for a very long time.

I would suggest that you either go and see an ND, who practices alternative therapies such as herbal medicine, homeopathy and acupuncture or try and find a fully qualified homeopathy in your area. At least way, you have a better chance of finding a cure by treating the cause rather than just the symptoms.

Good luck.

Old 02-24-2003, 12:12 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

kat721 HB User
The working Alkaloid of the Belladonna plant is widely used for Parkinsons patients and for people with spastic and Irritable bowels and bladders.
Both my Urologist and Gastroenterologist have prescribed this medication for me.
It is a very much used medicine in the field of Gastroenterology and has not fallen by the way side as an old time remedy.
In fact, I recently had surgery in january and another alkaloid from the plant was used for my pre surgery prep. I didn't get sick off the anesthesia like I always do. It was amazing.
Look up medications for IBS and IBD.
Or type Belladonna into a search engine. You will be amazed how many brand names the stuff comes in.
It requires a doctors prescription but is not considered a controled drug like the narcotic class.
It is very effective for certain types of viseral pain.

Closed Thread