It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2003, 11:05 PM   #1
Inactive

LindaG HB User
Post shooting rectal pain

I was wondering if anyone had any information on knife-like shooting rectal pain with periods. Laparoscopy ruled out endometriosis. Colonoscopy was normal. I was given an antispasmodic called "Levsin" that doesn't even take the edge off. Thank you!

Old 02-05-2003, 07:55 AM   #2

DragonLover24 HB User
Question

You know I get this once in a while myself. I tend to be extremely gassy during periods....I often find the sharp pains come from the gas. It seems to start in the abdomen and shoot down to the rectal area, like you describe. I don't know if you notice you are abmormally gassy or not, but that could be one aspect of the problem. Just thought I'd mention that.

------------------
~A dragon is a woman's best friend.~

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2003, 08:05 AM   #3
(male)

HRH HB User
Arrow

Linda,
Levsin is used only to relax long muscle. Several females I know use a homeopathic remedy --- Magnesia Phos.
and you can take every 20 mins. until the pain subsides. It works and you can buy it at health food stores.

Hazel

Old 02-07-2003, 03:15 PM   #4

JanettoB HB User
Linda,
When I was in my 20s and had periods.....I had those knifelike shooting pains up the rear end as well!!! I actually still remember throwing myself on the bathroom floor from the stab one time!!! And that was 30 years ago!!!

I've suffered from constipation all my life. I don't remember if I was constipated at the time or not. I did have some bad periods and if I took the aspirin/tylenol/caffeine combination (Vanquish)it seemed to help with the stabbing as well.

I never asked my doctor about it....just assumed that it was rectal muscle spasms.

Sorry I can't give you anymore information, but I've been there and know what you mean!!!!

JanettoB

Old 02-18-2003, 01:05 PM   #5
(female)

HvnsAngel HB User
Unhappy

I know exactly what you are talking about. I have a drs appt on March 7th. To describe my pain, I get it only during my menstrual cycle and it stops me in my tracks. If feel like the pain happens when my "poop" is moving thru the canal. It does not hurt when I am going to the bathroom, only right before when it is making its move.

Old 02-18-2003, 11:10 PM   #6
Inactive

LindaG HB User
Hi Angel! Please let us know how your doctor's visit goes! Any information would be so appreciated. Yesterday was a horrible period day for me. I'll just be standing in the kitchen talking and fine, then I feel the pain start and I've just got to completely stop in my tracks and try not to move and hold my breath until it subsides. I've been fortunate to be an at-home mom these past few years but next year when my youngest goes to school full time I'm planning on going back to work and I don't know what I'm going to do if I'm talking to a co-worker or boss and this happens. I'm 33 now and this sure has gotten worse with age. When I worked before this wasn't a problem. You are right about the painful movement in the bowel. Even the tiniest gas bubble movement can make me want to cry. I do have agonizing pain trying to go to the bathroom. It takes me so long because I can only relax enough to let tiny bits out at a time, even pee. I'm forced to use glycerin suppositories to ease the pain. When I'm having an "episode" I can't even sit down because the pressure is so bad. I can't figure any rhyme or reason. Weight loss/gain, different food or drinks, medications, stress, just nothing seems to factor into this. You would think it would be a form of IBS but nothing I've read with IBS matches this. It's horrible, embarrassing and rare and my heart just goes out to you my fellow knife-shooting-rectal-pain sister! :-) I'm happy to have found other people like me if for nothing else but support. Best of luck on your doctor appointment!

Closed Thread