It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2003, 06:07 AM   #1

familyfull HB User
Red face Hemmorroids-going in for surgery consult

I am going in for a surgery consult this morning after sufferring almost monthly for the past 3 1/2 years with hemmorroids (and subsequently fissures) as a result of childbirth. With one of the hemmorroids I even get a pain that goes down my left leg. Has anyone ever experienced this? Doctors have been very reluctant to refer me up until now; but the pain has been too much. But, what am I in for really??? I know the surgeon will give me a scenario, but I'd really appreciate some retrospective input about the procedure itself, recovery, and life afterwards.

Old 02-21-2003, 08:39 PM   #2

Susan HB User
Hi!

I had a hemorrhoidectomy a couple years ago. It was incredibly painful for the first week after surgery, and the first few BMs were so not fun, as you can imagine, but I ended up with a good result and have had no further problems.

The fact that you have had fissures in the past and multiple hemorrhoids makes your situation much more complicated than mine, tho. I hope you're going to a surgeon who specializes in this sort of surgery.

I wish you the best of luck with it.

------------------
Take care! Susan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2003, 07:08 PM   #3

sammy4 HB User
You may want to check into "cryo therapy" I haven't experienced it myself but I read about it on this board, perhaps if you do a search on the word you would find out about it.

As I understand it , and any one with experience can feel free to correct me, the doctor injects nitro-... what ever ...the same thing they freeze warts with into the hemmorhoids and they shrivel up and fall off... aparently there is a higher success rate with this as oppossed to banding , less pain and discomfort and recurrence, and there are fewer than 15% of patients who do not respond to it... ask your doc you never know.
By the way do you have the hemms under control now? have you been able to stop their recurrence (ie: control diarehea or constipation which could be causing or aggravating them) I too got mine through pregnancy and childbirth but mine did not go away as they al said they would because I have IBS and tend towards constipation... still trying to get that completely under control before I bother with removal, no sense going through it twice right?
sammy

Old 02-24-2003, 11:28 AM   #4

familyfull HB User
Thanks Susan and Sammy4 for your input.

My consult turned into an on the spot banding of one of the hemmorroids that was causing me an immediate problem. At the time, I was given one other option and that was to use general anethesia to surgically remove it. The surgeon also said that the one hem had become ulcerated (the tissue would breakdown and have an openlike sore on it - what I thought were fissures). I was told that if/when the others posed problems to come back. I will definitely inquire about the cryosurgury for any future problems as it sounds less traumatic/painful.

The banding itself smarted and intense pain set in about 5 minutes later. I couldn't stand up or sit down, couldn't sleep through the first night even with pain medication. A day and a half later the tissue fell off and today the bands still remain. The pain has lessened greatly I think due to the fact that the massive tissue has fallen off. I have taken a stool softener which has helped also. I am a little afraid of what to expect after the bands fall off. I would do this all over again even if other less painful options are not available to remove my other ones (for me the pain ranked up there with childbirth, intense and unrelenting for a period of time, but not worth going under anethesia).

In response to Sammy4, my hems were never, in my opinion, under control as all the doctors over the last 3 1/2 yrs said they would become. I live a very healthy lifestyle. They would basically pop out every other month, one irritating the others and so on. further, they were always bothering me during my second pregnancy. I am hoping that the removal of this one will aid in controlling the 2 remaining. I would like to prevent having to undergo this again if I had to.

[This message has been edited by familyfull (edited 02-24-2003).]

Old 02-24-2003, 11:59 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

kat721 HB User
Familyfull, As I was reading the posts I was thinking to respond with information on what happened with my husbands experience with the banding process a few months ago.
Then I saw your last post and a lot of what you experienced was what I was going to say.
He too hated the banding experience and it was rather traumatic on a head/emotional level because the colon surgeon didn't prep him for the shocking reality.
It's been a few months now and he is bleeding again.
He does not want to go back to the Colon surgeon even though th Colon surgeon told him that if the bleeding started again that he'll have to have the cryosurgery too. Ya know, all it takes is one good medical trauma to freak most people out. That banding busines should really be done with at least a tranquilizer on board because it definately is a shock to the system.
He was out of comission for the weekend and thank goodness he has headache meds because the Colon surgeon only told him to take OTC tylenol.
My husband is a big strong person who is athletic and who is generally good with pain.
I was with him during the banding process.
The man literaly turned white and broke out into a cold sweat. As he was trying to BREATHE through the rest of the process I offed my hand for support and he snapped at me not to touch him. It was pretty bad.
Later he told me that he was afraid he would break my hand when the Doctor did the next band.
He's not sure what the status of the band in his body might be. He can't tell if they are there or not there. Nothing else has happened except that he has started bleeding again. Stool softenters do help. Prep H and if you need it a steroid suppository to help with swelling.
If you are not already drinking your fibre suppliment every day, you need to do that too.
The fibre suppliment every day or even twice a day when things are rough makes a huge difference. With the fiber you also want to remember to drink an equal amount of plain water after you drink the Fibre and water preparation.
Increasing water is the key to safeguarding against the ever dreaded bloat.
Gastroenterologists consider the use of the fibre suppliment a key in how they diagnose a condition and then subsiquent medication if need be.
We've been through 3 Gastroenterologists with in the last year between the two of us.
we both have bowel problems but different kinds for different reasons.
The story and dignosis always turns out the same.
They always want you to try the fibre suppliment on an every day basis before they target different therapies.
I am on an anti-spasmodic which I believe helps to keep my colon out of a tight spasm and helps to save me from the ever dreaded hemorroid.
My husband does not get spasm meds becuse they have not decided if he needs one or not.
I think he does but he is still jumping through diagnostic hoops.
Good luck with your procedure.
Let me know how things work out.
kat

Closed Thread