It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2003, 02:11 PM   #1
Inactive

Merrida HB User
Post Diverticulosis?

What exactly is that?

My dad had it (I'm not sure if it was diverticulitis or diverticulosis)... for his last 20 years of his life this man was in such pain, always in the hospital, having surgeries (and a few heart attacks), and I don't know if any of this stuff is related.

What is it, what causes it, can it be cured? What is it about?

I just turned 40 so granted I'm starting to get a little more....inquisitive. Ack.

------------------
Life isn't what happens to you -- it's how you react to it!

Thoughts don't make us who we are -- Actions do.

Old 02-24-2003, 03:21 PM   #2

seekingadvice11 HB User
search the net. There's tons. [url="http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health/digest/pubs/divert/divert.htm"]http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health/digest/pubs/divert/divert.htm[/url]
Try that

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2003, 03:33 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

Basically, diverticulosis are pockets of the bowel that bulge through in places where they are not meant to. This is caused by a lack of fiber in the diet and to constipation. This is the main reason that you get it. The diverticulosis are the pockets and are also known as divertular pockets. When they become infected, then it is known as diverticulitis.

It causes a lot of pain in the lower left side of the belly and can cause a fever with diarrhea and blood in the stools.

Just make sure that you are not constipated and do not become so and eat plenty of fiber in your diet as well as drinking enough water and getting enough exercise and you should be ok.

Old 02-24-2003, 03:56 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kat721 HB User
Posted>>>for his last 20 years of his life this man was in such pain, always in the hospital, having surgeries (and a few heart attacks), and I don't know if any of this stuff is related.<<<

Yeh it's rough with the intestines being what they are.
I think those Intestinal problems definately tax the heart and go on to cause big problems.
It seems that way in my case.
I had emergency surgery for an Intestinal Problem and my heart got really stressed and showed an abnormal wave during surgery. That was back in April. By October my heart Rhythm had tilted out and my heart was failing.
The echo test showed that I didn't sustain permanent damage. Very Lucky for me.
But I now have to be on Toprol XL because my heart gets Tachycardic at the least bit of body stress.
Since I have a colon that keeps getting stuck to my other innards I get body stress more often than one needs to suffer. So we keep my heart out of future trouble with medication to assure steadyness since my Dad died of heart Disease at 48.
Diverticulitis is a condition that needs attention and care with a good diet and those fibre suppliments almost daily.
Depending on how bad it is Gastroenterologists will often prescribe daily treatment with a powder fiber suppliment to prevent Diverticulitis from turning into Diverticulosis. Diverticulosis is what happens when the Diverticulitis becomes infected and then it's a serious problem that will often require a hospital stay.
Kat

Old 02-24-2003, 05:18 PM   #5
(male)

HRH HB User
Kat,
I think you got the two divertiulitis and diverticulois meanings reversed.

Diverticulitis is an infected diverticular.

Read the link posted by seekingadvice11---

Hazel

Old 02-24-2003, 05:34 PM   #6

bruised HB User
I have read this before.Most of my symptoms that have are all that of diverticulitis,only problem is that my blood work came back negative for this.I feel very strongly that there may be an infection of some sort,but to find it out will probably be when I end up in emergency keeled over.I think my problem is more serious then the doctors are taking it,and it's getting to the point that I'm feeling bothersome to the doctors.Read my post on the tenderness to understand.

Old 02-24-2003, 08:08 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

kat721 HB User
Hazel, Yes, you are exactly right, I always get that backwards. My husbands father has the problem that went from one stage to the other and I can't ever seem to get it arranged right. For some reason it's in my head and then poof it's gone.

"When the pouches become infected or inflamed, the condition is called diverticulitis. This happens in 10 to 25 percent of people with diverticulosis. Diverticulosis and diverticulitis are also called diverticular disease." [url="http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health/digest/pubs/divert/divert.htm"]http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health/digest/pubs/divert/divert.htm[/url]

Yes Bruised, I too think you have some real problems that need tending and mending.
I hope you get a right diagnosis soon.
Don't end up like me in the ER. It is a terrible experience.
Kat

Old 02-25-2003, 01:51 AM   #8
Inactive

Merrida HB User
See, all this time I'm thinking that my cramping feels like period cramps. It doesn't feel like the kind of cramps I get from gas (which I get and am familiar with), and the pain, which again feels different. My doctor thought it might be an ulcer (I also tried to explain that in addition to my stomach and esophagus hurting, this pain was LOW in my abdomen, and I thought it was mear my ovary).

Another I've had, but I've had it my whole life, and just never mentioned it to anyone but my Husband because it seemed irrelevent and I didn't want to add it to my "laundry list" of complaints (then doctors don't want to treat you, I found that out too)... I get rectal spasms (?)

Had 'em my whole life. But they spasm like these sharp pains that make me yell out (very embarassing as all get out), like the left side of my rectum is having a knife stuck deep inside, and it lasts only for several seconds, and then subsides. Then nothing.

(I think the fact my disk problems and sciatic problem, my umbilical hernia, and the majority of pelvic arthritis is all in my left side just make me feel "left side paranoid"). I just never knew how to connect it, and yes I thought that was the doctors job along the years.

Oh, btw: I have rarely ever had blood in my stool, - I can count the times it's ever happened to me.

I had hemmorhoids and had surgery on them (an experience that is beyond humiliating and beyond painful and it sucked that my surgeon happened to be the best friend of the brother of my boyfriend at the time! Found that out later, ack!)

I still get them occasionally, but never as bad as that one time requiring surgery! And I would think that my rectal exams yearly would pick something up, such as polyps?

Thank you guys SOOOOO much for helping piece these puzzles together. I only wish I had found this board a long, long time ago!

[This message has been edited by Merrida (edited 02-25-2003).]

Old 02-25-2003, 09:39 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

kat721 HB User
posted>>> And I would think that my rectal exams yearly would pick something up, such as polyps?<<

Polyps can grow anywhere in the whole intestinal system.
That's why they have to do a Colonoscopy.
My husband has had a bowel problem for the last few months and he's had to have 2 Colonoscopys in a vry short stretch of time.
The first Colonoscoy revealed a teeny tiny little polyp that even the Gastroenterologist didn't think
looked too worrisome.
However, the Pathology report came back that it
was precancerous and for it's size more worrisone
that anyone thought.
That's why we need our Colonoscopys regularly.
Even little irregularities can mean trouble.
His second Colonoscopy showed another problem
with a lymph node up in the transverse Colon
so that was removed too.
kat

Old 02-25-2003, 10:40 AM   #10
Inactive

Merrida HB User
Hmm,....my doc's never recommended anything to me. (God, how do they get ANY instrument all the way to the transverse colon? Ouch!!)

All of this sounds so terribly painful.

I'm going to mention this to my doctor at my next visit (few months away),... I just begin to question myself when I have a laundry list of complaints that I present with... how do you do this without sounding like you're whining about every strange symptom that you know just does not feel "normal" for your own body?

Old 02-25-2003, 11:59 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

kat721 HB User
Posted>>(God, how do they get ANY instrument all the way to the transverse colon? Ouch!!)
All of this sounds so terribly painful.<<<

The Colonoscope I think is the intrument used.
Actually the Colonoscopy process is much less painful than living with the grief one has from undiagnosed pelvic or intestinal problems.
If the Doctor is good with anesthesia you go in, say good night and wake up later.
If the Doctor is skimpy on the anesthesia you might feel some discomfort.

Post>>how do you do this without sounding like you're whining about every strange symptom that you know just does not feel "normal" for your own body?<<

I have no clue.
I have gotten extremely whiney and neurotic.
I suppose that comes from going through too much body trauma while being over looked and misdiagnosed and then having a medical disaster.
My husband never whines but he takes me with him for his Doctor visits and I just pour all my angst out and we get things done.
I make that laundry list. I ask the tough questions.
I ramble on about my pain. If I feel like crying. I cry. I don't care anymore. I just want results and action.
For me, the process of getting correct treatment has not been easy.
I have found that one has to knowlegable and persistent and even then it still might take many many months if one has a complicated problem.
Kat

Closed Thread