It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2003, 05:57 PM   #1
Inactive

Mandie HB User
Post Miralax

Anyone heard of miralax laxative. My doc gave it to me yesterday and said to take it for 2 weeks and see if it helps me. He said that it does not work like a regular laxative and it might help me to go naturally. He said that my rectal pains could be related to straining too hard and hurting the levator muscles, so he wants to see I how do. I will give it a try, but it is so hard to believe that this will alleviate all of the pain that I am in. If this does not help, then I have to have a video defagragrapy. This is a pretty enbarrassing test, not even mentioning how uncomfortable as well, but it looks like I will have no choice. He said it shows rectal prolapse and rectocles. Both of these conditons need surgery, so I pray that this is not my problem. I am really in a bad place right now and I just need others like you to be in my corner. Thank You If anyone has tried miralax, please let me know M

Old 01-09-2003, 08:36 PM   #2

Robbin HB User
Hi Mandi,

I don't want to sound discourging, but I used Miralax for a couple of weeks (twice) and both times it was very bad for me. I experienced very bad cramping and bloating, and the feeling of always needing to go to the bathroom (which of course made my situation even worse) But you should try it, it might be good for you as everyone is different. Did you go to a doctor in our area? I'm wondering if my pains are also from straining. I do remember it all started after a bout of straining. Are your pains only related to your bowel movements? Some days I have pains even when I don't have a BM, and then other days it is relieved by a BM. It also bothers me when I have gas. My doctor also mentioned the defogram test, but just told me to think about it and if I wanted to do it, it was entirely up to me. Can you give me more details about your pain, too see if they are similar? Good luck with the miralax ( I wish I could give you mine as I would not use it again) Don't be surprised if your BM come looking like a long rope , that is how mine was. Right now I am cutting back on any foods that have a laxative effect and see how that goes.
Robbin

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2003, 12:34 PM   #3
(female)

MLWC HB User
Mandi--
I've used it, too...contrary to Robbin's story, I found it didn't make so much of a difference with me. I believe that it's an osmotic laxative that helps to incorporate more water into the bowel so as to make it easier to pass (ie, softer).

For me, minimal results, at best. At least I didn't have any bad side effects...
Hope this helps...
MLWC

Old 01-15-2003, 11:30 AM   #4

Oops HB User
Cool

I've been taking Miralax for 6mo. and it's doing just great for me.

It sure is better than not being able to go at all.

I have neurapathy(can't speel) and could not get the urge to go. So I'm happy.

Old 01-18-2003, 09:22 PM   #5

VanillaCoke HB User
Cool

I have had problems taking dumps all of life. My doctor recently prescribed Miralax for me. Even though he said it was safe, I refuse to have to live off of a laxative type thing that warns not to use for an extended amount of time on the label. It worked for me, for the most part. When I have the urge to poop, i absolutely cannot push it out. It hurts and i push so much that food and stuff starts coming up my throat from my stomach. I have also had problems with not having the urge, and therefore my stomach sticking out like I was pregnant and having a tummy ache all the time
more later

Old 01-19-2003, 03:22 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

You need to increase your fiber and water intake to help with your constipation rather than relying on laxatives. This is not good.

If you sit on the toilet straining to have a BM, then you are at risk hemmarrhoids if you don't already have them.

Old 01-20-2003, 04:50 PM   #7
Inactive

Mandie HB User
I have found that the miralax has worked very well for me. I do not have to strain as much as I was doing. IN fact, I hardly strain at all. I was so afraid when I had move my bowels before, but now, I don't have the fear of not being able to expel on my own. I was told that this is not a stimulant laxative, therefore, it is not dangerous to take it indefinitely. If it helps me, I am not going to stop until my dr. tells me that it is dangerous to keep taking it. I am due to see him in 2 weeks and I am hoping that he will tell me that I do not need a defacgram- If I could not go on my own he was going to look for rectal prolapse or maybe a rectocele. I hope that I don't have these problems.

Old 01-21-2003, 10:33 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

Hey Honey, Unfortunately all laxatives are stimulants, but most docs would have you believe otherwise!!

Old 02-15-2003, 03:39 AM   #9

nickyd HB User
my daughter is 3 years old.....and ever since she was 1 month old the hospital have been giving her mirolax.... it makes her stuggle and have stomach crap...it doesnt make her empty her bowels as she has to have a month klean-prep to do that for her.

Old 02-18-2003, 01:09 PM   #10

pennyb HB User
OMG Miralax was my worst nightmare. It tastes gross, causes upset stomach, and really didn't help much. After paying $50+++ for it I only used it once. I do however take stool softner every day. My doctor says it's pretty much for life. Oh and milk of magnesia works really good and so far the doctors say it's safe. I was diagnosed with a rectocele and had surgery on it about 4 months ago. I do feel a difference in pain but the constipation will always be there. I guess it's just my body chemistry.
good luck to you

Old 02-19-2003, 07:39 AM   #11
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

Milk of Magnesia is not good either and it can alter your stomach acid concentration so you should be very careful.

Old 02-25-2003, 09:35 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

kat721 HB User
This has been a most fascinating thread. I always get amazed at the passionate response on the subject of laxatives.
I can only express my experiences coming from the perspective of living with gut pain and constipation.
My problem is classified as IBS-C but I don't fit the Rome Criteria because my Colon problems are associated with an anatomical reason as well as a disease process on the outside of my colon as opposed to the interior of the colon as in IBD.
To answer the question about Miralax.....I think it's some great stuff. However, like most medicines, if the individual does not have a body problem that needs that particular kind of medication, then they will problably have trouble with the medication.
Miralax is a polyethylene glycol powder.
Polyethylene glycol is not absorbed from the intestinal tract. It is an Osmodic Laxative.
The substance stays in the gut and pulls water into the intestine. This makes the stool increase in volume and thus produces a BM from the volume and weight of the stool.
And how is this important? It is important because the chief cause of constipation that leads to bowel impactions ( which are life threatening situations)
is the problem of the stool getting stuck and peristolis slowing down or stopping. When the intestinal action slows the intestine acts like a big sponge and pulls the moisture out of the stool and then the stool, instead of moving out of the body, becomes harder and harder until it impacts.
And when it impacts, the gut sounds begin to fade and the person with this condition is in danger of having that part of the intestinal tissue begin to die.
So for the person who might have a spastic colon, the problem needs to be addressed by the way of a substance that will help to bind moisture to the stool until the person can work past their spasm and allow the softened stool to exit with less trauma, which, if the colon is in trauma from every effort ridden bowel movement, the colon will do what it tends to do under stress and become more spastic thereby compounding the problem.
So it's a delima.
Do the people who need Miralax to keep them off the ER table with a bowel in need of resectioning take the evil laxative and risk "damage" from a laxative, or do they do with out in the name of being healthy and wreck their colon with spasms that make the whole constipation experience feel like one is giving rectal birth to a watermelon.

Tough choice for the one who has an intimate relationship with the toilet.

Kat

Closed Thread