It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2003, 09:03 AM   #1
Veteran

PAISLEY HB User
Post Don't know!!??!!??

Hello
For quite a while now I have been experiencing some very weird things with my stomach. I have had extreme gas (that's pretty smelly, btw :0) and my stomach constantly aches and radiates to the sides of my torso. My stomach will all of sudden start to hurt and I will feel like I have to go to the bathroom really, really bad...like it's going to be the mother of all bowel movements...then I sit, strain for a bit and only a few stools pass and my stomach still hurts and I still feel "full". The BM's are not hard but they're not loose either. I am so frustrated with this. Can someone help me?

Old 02-24-2003, 11:33 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
It sounds like you're not intaking enough fiber and water daily. I suggest you take Metamucil and drink enough water daily.

The fiber will make the food move through the intestines like it's suppose to--- periastalis and all.
It's safe to to take a fiber supplement daily. Just start off slow and increase it until you get a gentle BM w/o straning--- it works. When you first start it'll produce GAS but with continued use --It will go away. Just Hang in there!!!

Harry

[This message has been edited by Harry (edited 02-24-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2003, 12:09 PM   #3
Veteran

PAISLEY HB User
What's causing the "fullness" feeling that I still have after a BM and the pain on my sides? Also, can your bowels be emptied completely? If so, how? I don't think mine have ever been. Should I take a laxative?

Thanks for the suggestions. I drink water all day, literally, but I know I could use some fiber.

Old 02-24-2003, 09:05 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kat721 HB User
Could be a real problem developing or could be just a bit of sluggishness.
You might want to give a heads up with your doctor and see if a laxative might be suggested.
The kind of discomfort you describe could be caused by colon spasms.
If it's colon spasms your doctor (better yet a gastroenterologist) can prescribe some medication to help.
There's lots and lots of good meds available to save our guts.
If you got the smelly gas attack you definately want to add probiotics to your diet. Real plain no fat Yogurt with many live lactobacillus cultures will do the job.
I eat mine daily. My dogs too. I don't like stinky poo dogs and the live culture yogurt sure does help.
kat

Old 02-25-2003, 08:59 PM   #5

Joanna11 HB User
Exclamation

I had similar troubles. Had a stomach of iron all of my life but last year at 35 started with weird stomach problems, pain, cramping and sitting on pot for long periods of time then stool like you described, and not nearly enough of it for what I had been though. It was really bad if I ate jalepeno peppers, I would sweat and sometimes even have to lay down in the floor between cramps due to breaking out in a cold sweat. If I ate jalepenos I would really pay for it later and it was annoying because I had always been able to eat them before. Other random things would effect my stomach the same way. After about 6-8 months of this my apendix ruptured. Of course I was too stubborn to go to the hospital until I could barely walk and was almost dead. Dr griped me out after surgery and said it had rupture 2-3 days before I came in. At first I didn't associate the appendix with my other trouble because the actual rupturing caused intense pain on the lower right abdomen and all of my 6-8 months worth of trouble had been all over, in different areas of the abdomen. The good news is that I can eat anything I want to now and all is ok with the bowel world! Can even eat jalepenos again! My big problem is (and always has been) I don't go to the bathroom very often, it's nothing for me to go 7 or even 8 days with NO bowel movement at all and not even feel constipated. I can drink gallons of water, eat a whole bucket of prunes and my crazy system just is not going until it's ready. I do have hemorrhoids which are making life miserable. I don't know if the doctor can detect ahead of time if you appendix is giving you fits or not but it might be worth looking into. If I had known that was my problem I would have had the dang thing lasered out and gone home the next morning instead of waiting until it ruptured and spending 6 days in the hospital! Good luck!

Old 02-25-2003, 10:00 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

kat721 HB User
Posted>>>If I had known that was my problem I would have had the dang thing lasered out and gone home the next morning instead of waiting until it ruptured and spending 6 days in the hospital! <<<

Oh yeh, most definately! Always see the doctor.
The Emergency Room is a terrible way to make that doctors appointment.
And the weekends too. Don't you know for sure that the emergency always happens on a Friday and we think we can wait until Monday or the Monday after that!
I had Emergency Surgery too. Mine was for an impacted bowel. I stayed 3 days in the hospital. Yippie!
kat

Old 02-26-2003, 04:56 AM   #7

Joanna11 HB User
Paisley, I forgot to mention the Milk Of Mag. I use that sometimes and I do believe it will totally clean you out or close to it! With my stubborn system I have to drink the largest dose which I think is 4 tablespoons, with big glass of water right before bed. It's disgusting and chalky, I brush teeth immediately and/or chew mint gum to rid myself of that but it works great with no cramps (sometimes too good if your not real close to the bathroom so beware!) and the doctors tell me it's not habbit forming (the liquid) so it's safe to use it regularly.. and as for my apendix .. Good guess Kat !! My apendix was really hurting bad late in the week but I believe the actual rupture happened on Friday, I felt something give way and it was a strang relief for about 3 seconds and then pain became extremely intense, could barely get around but stubborn & true to form I had an event to take my daughter to Saturday so we went. I was embarrassed for people to see me moving so slow, etc. Thought if I just lay down for a while when I get home it will go away...duh. Hubby was out of town and it was only his call at 2a.m. Sunday that forced me to get up and go to emergency room, where I actually was mad and cried when the admitting nurse asked why I was there I said "because my husband made me come so I could spend my $500 deductible for you to tell me I have a stomach ache and send me home". The main reason for the 6 day stay was my white cell count when I got there was 46,000, the emergency room doctor looked at my paperwork and looked down and me and told me I was dying! There was a lot of infection to deal with in there so the surgery was not just remove apendix but apparently they scraped all the rot off of my insides, quite sore and took longer to recover! Hope your surgery will be your last!

[This message has been edited by Joanna11 (edited 02-26-2003).]

Old 02-27-2003, 03:57 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

kat721 HB User
Re;Milk of Magnesia.
Yes, that stuff is non habit forming and it won't wreck your gut. But it can make a mighty cramp so if you are having a lot of cramping it might be rough but you will get a BM going UNLESS your bowel is impacted and then it's too late for most anything but the colon surgeon.
Some people say that Milk of Magnesia messes up ones body mineral balance but it just needs to be taken with calcium and it's fine.
So if you take the MoM, drink some milk and don't plan an evening out.
kat

Old 02-28-2003, 02:42 AM   #9
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

Milk of Magnesia is also a laxative and like any laxative, should not be relied upon to have a bowel movement.

You should be adding more fiber to your diet with Metamucil supplements are with the food that you are eating and drinking enough water to keep your system running adequately. If you do this, then there is less liklihood that you will need to take laxatives in the long run.

Also, enough exercise is also good for your bowels too.

Closed Thread