It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2003, 07:28 PM   #1
(male)

FrJackHackett HB User
Post Fissures

I seem to get one of these prize nuisances at least once a year. In retrospect I always did, although I mistakenly thought they were piles and wasted time applying entirely useless ointments. They take an abominably long time to clear up, even with Ultraproct or similar and, clearly, prevention is much better than cure. I'm very healthy, my diet is good and I'm always as regular as clockwork - motions not especially hard - it's just every few months - ouch ! - (in different locations each time). Anyway, my question is this - has anyone else who gets these literal pains in the backside been able to correlate them to the consumption of any particular food ? At the moment I'm getting very suspicious of chocolate.

Old 02-28-2003, 01:48 PM   #2

sammy4 HB User
THe only food I have ever associated with my fissures has been popcorn... the hard kernels cutting and ripping as they go through the system.

I generally can feel if and when i am about to have a fissure I can actually feel that awful stretching and then tearing sensation, and they really s=do take for ever to heal don't they? I think if i just stopped trying to hurry every thing up and let the BM come out without ANY straining it might not happen (as often) sometimes it just happens and theres nothign i could do.... even with glycerin suppositories to soften the BM it will still occur...
Any one out there have any other ideas?
sammy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2003, 02:36 PM   #3
(male)

FrJackHackett HB User

I think there are a few things I have found which unquestionably help to prevent fissures. I'm gradually introducing these disciplines into my daily routine.

Drink plenty of pure water - in addition to whatever tea, coffee or alcohol is consumed. I think that's number one.
Eat plenty of fibre.
Eat plenty of fruit and a variety of fruit.
Exercise regularly.
Moderate intake only of doughy breads and pizzas.
Very moderate intake of pork.
Don't overeat at mealtimes, no matter how good the food.

My connection with chocolate began when I noticed that fissures seemed to occur after Christmas and my birthday. It dawned on me that people gave me lots of chocolate at these times, which I ate quite quickly. I have also noticed a seeming correlation between chocolate and mouth ulcers. I'm beginning to wonder if chocolate contains something my tissues just don't like.

It's a very diffcult thing to prove conclusively because so many factors are involved, but in my case the coincidence of chocolate intake and fissures (at least six occasions in five years) probably makes the elimination of chocolate worthwhile - which is a pity because I like it !

Old 03-02-2003, 06:45 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
I think if you intake enough fiber then your stools will be easier to pass resulting in smaller diameter an the chances of developing a fissure is greatly reduced.

Harry

Old 03-07-2003, 10:31 AM   #5

anna maria HB User
I've battled terrible fissures and tried everything from surgery to diet to supplements to laxatives to nitroglycerin cream and more -- you name it. I found that white bread, chocolate, icecream, white meat and a lack of water were food culprits for me.

One thing I've learned the hard way is to eat regularly. With fissures I was afraid to eat, but skipping meals always slowed things down. Eating regularly keeps things moving and, therefore, soft. Unfortunately, you have to be diligent and consistent when dealing with fissures.
And I agree 100% that water, exercise, high fibre and no white flour or sugar is the best way to go. My doctor reminds me that we need about 35grams of fibre a day which is a lot to get without trying. Besides fruit and vegetables, the best sources I've found are the Fibre cereals with 13g of fibre in them and Metamucil.

Also, don't forget to drink water WHILE you eat any kind of fibre.
I found Metamucil initially did not work for me because I was putting too much in my glass of water. Now I use it properly and it is great. Follow instructions when using any supplement.

Finally, I found that my really painful fissures would not heal if I didn't give them some time on laxatives. I know it's bad, but a week or so on Mineral Oil gave me enough of a reprieve from hard bowel movements which allowed my fissures to get better. Then good diet would take it from there.
When you are at your wits end, you do what you have to.

Good luck.

Closed Thread