It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2003, 07:19 PM   #1

GoodnightElisabeth HB User
Post Swollen anus?

Yesterday I had a hard time with a bowel movement, and today I noticed some discomfort when bending down/sitting/etc., so (sorry, this is gross) I checked, and there's a purple, swollen bulb back there. It's not a constant pain - if I go to sit down or something, it will only be painful for a few seconds and then I cannot feel anything more. I really do not want to go to the doctor about this...does anyone know what this could be? Thanks!

Old 03-09-2003, 09:35 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

You are probably not getting enough fiber in your diet. Everyone needs 20 to 30 grams daily to make their intestines work properly.

I suggest you start taking a water soluble fiber supplement like Metamucil to make sure you get enough FIBER. You could have pulled a muscle. If it doesn't go away in a day or 2 then see a Doctor. You should never have problems with a BM. Taking Metamucil will make your stools gentle without straning--- it's safe and can be taken daily ----twice is usually what is needed ---also drink enough water daily.

God Bless---Harry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2003, 04:37 AM   #3

I figured it had something to do with fiber.

What about the little bulb though?

Old 03-10-2003, 05:59 AM   #4
Inactive

mlgable HB User
That is a hemorrhoid. There is not much you can do to help shrink it except use a cool compress or something like preparation H.

Old 03-10-2003, 01:56 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

kat721 HB User
Ditto, Hemorroid. Eat fiber. Stay off high grease foods and meat. Take your fibre suppliment daily
and pray that thing does not start bleeding.
Oh yeh, sitz baths in extra warm water and staying off the toilet for prolonged periods also helps.
Go, do your business and get up. You also might try wiping with those medicated pads sold in the laxative suppository section of the pharmacy.
If the hemorroids start bleeding the blood will probably be bright red and try not to freak out too bad if it fills the toilet.
Usually the doctor will prescribe a steroidal suppository before sending you to the colon surgeon to handle bleeding hemorroids.
Those things can look really scary and they could be precursors to other more serious problems so you want to keep an eye on things.
kat

Old 03-10-2003, 01:59 PM   #6

thejoe HB User
Basically hemorrhoids can be annoying but aren't really harmful unless you keep up the habits that cause them. It can actually be more helpful by telling you that you aren't eating what your body needs and telling you to change it.

Old 03-10-2003, 03:20 PM   #7

Thanks guys...I was hoping maybe there was some other explanation, but I suppose that this is it.

Will it go away on it's own if I use something like preparation H?

Old 03-10-2003, 03:36 PM   #8

JanettoB HB User
It'll probably go away on it's own with the help of Preparation H suppositories and ointment. The Prep H will help lubricate the rectal area and help prevent additional irritation.

Hemoroids can hurt as well as itch!!! The Prep H or similar will help with that as well. I've sometimes used a napkin covered ice cube to help shrink the roid.

Some hemoroids can be massaged back into place. Had a friend that had surgery and had one buldge back out. Doctor massaged it back in.

I would say that the majority of people have some type of hemorroid....either internal or external. I've had mine for over 25 years and they don't usually bother me. Most important thing is to avoid constipation!!! JanettoB

Closed Thread